Maxima engine or 300 zx n/a heads

I want to do some planning ahead and was interested in doing the maxima swap, or may be swap the heads from a n/a 300zx. I think some of the members here have done the engine swap, don't know about the heads though. I was reading throught the forum and it seems that the 300zx would need to come from a pre 89. I really would like to have a newer engine. I also remember 88 mentioning about swapping the heads from the 300zx.

Question is which year for maxima engine and heads for 300?

If I do the swap for the heads, would I probably be pushing about 200 h/p?

I think all VG30e heads are the same, so any year vg30e should work. Being the same, I don't think a straight swap would gain you any HP. If you are having head issues you could have them rebuilt, but finding newer used heads could be more economical. If you're taking the heads off and have some extra $ you may want to consider some cams if you're looking for more HP. If that interests you, Google Schneider racing cams. I think they do a regrind, so you'd need a spare set or be able to be down for a while. They are way cheap though.

If you realy have some spare $, there is the 3.3/3.0 hybrid option that has been done. That would definately gain some power.

Edited by Earth1

i think i read somewhere that the cranks are different. i.e. in the trucks they are longer.. cars.. shorter.... i can't currently find the info but i know it's on the forums somewhere... :unsure:

It would make sense that the truck engine is designed for torque and the sedan engine could trade that for upper end speed. This is traditionally accomplished with different crank lengths (longer cranks require lower RPM's because piston velocities set the limit). So the maxima makes more ponies because HP is a function of RPM (and torque), but tourque is primarily dependent on adiabatic efficiency which is better at lower rpm's (laminar flow is more difficult to maintain as air velocity increases).

i know i used an 86.5 maxima for my 87 and the heads are the same u just have to swap pans dipstick oil pickup and brackets...i still havent cranked it (due to lack of funding) but everything went together and botled in and turns over great by hand the onlything i did do is swap my intake in for the maxima's intake...some maxima's have a different snout lenght on the front of the crank but u can take a quick measurment to see

i also had to use a h/b 2wd water pump b/c i couldnt swap out some plates and what not on the front of the motor but it all worked out the same

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, so it is possible. I really wanted to use something 90's up, but need more info. I guess I'll talk to my mechanic friend and see what suggestions he has. The engine isn't bad, or has been giving me any problems. I have a minor vacuum leak some where behind the block, or a round that area. At first i thought it was due to the exhaust manifold, but once I swapped to headers, I still heard it. I don't think really affects the performance that much, except for some slight accelaration, and milage.

By the way, swapping heads won't give you any extra power. The VG30 heads are all the same from 87-95. It was the FI and ECU tweaking that made more power for the car engines. The cams are all the same, too. There's been talk of swapping a 300ZX NA ECU into a Pathy for a boost, but I haven't officially seen anyone do that yet.

By the way, swapping heads won't give you any extra power. The VG30 heads are all the same from 87-95. It was the FI and ECU tweaking that made more power for the car engines. The cams are all the same, too. There's been talk of swapping a 300ZX NA ECU into a Pathy for a boost, but I haven't officially seen anyone do that yet.

I wonder what this would entail? Would it be just a simple unplug one ECU and plug in the other, or would you have to re-wire everything?

The guy down the street has a non turbo 300ZX, not sure if its a E or DE... Ill try and bump into him this week and get more info on it.... Maybe we can borrow a ecu for a test.....

(Will have to pray it does not fry the pathy or the ecu :hide:

Edited by Casey.T

Wouldn't the ECU throw all sorts of crazy errors due to the new sensor readings its not designed for?... I can't see it being as simple is plug it in and go.. or even close to that. And if its a case of just ECU tuning, why couldn't you take your stock pathy ECU's to a place and have them flash it for you? I know the guys in the Turbo Dodge/Ford/Saab Community do this frequently... and they're not just changing the boost levels, they're remapping the fuel delivery and other fancy smancy engine doohikies.

bah, I could do it with my eyes closed and one hand behind my back...

It wouldn't work after, but I'm sure I could do it.

Sounds technical and very expensive. Good point.

I suppose an aftermarket ECU, or some kinda piggy back system would work if there was ever enough demand.. but lets face it, there never will be.

Edited by derogate

New ECU from Jim Wolf Racing is available at Automotive Customizers. It's expensive, but if you've done anything else to your VG30E, you'll know that already. I doubt you'd get any better program than the one they offer. **Happy Customer**

I'd read some stuff a while back in kind of the opposite trend. This was of 300ZX guys swapping in Pathfinder (and Hardbody?) intakes because of slightly better low end torque vs. the higher end on the cars. On a side note, has anybody out there ever actually used the Jim Wolf chip swap? I've heard of it from articles and stuff, but never from a regular guy with real world results.

And finally, are you talking a much more modern swap that an earlier Maxi? Near as I can see, the 222hp engine didn't come until 2000. Before that, we're looking at 190hp for a few years, and by the mid 90's and before only 160 in most models with 190 going to the SE's. I'd bet the earlier models would be a much more direct swap, but obviously at much less benefit.

Just sold my 91 300Z NA, Had a Jim Wolf chip along with upgraded intake & exhaust, new cam/ported& polished. Didn't add alot until I updated to larger fuel injectors, then I could WAY tell the difference from stock to chipped, But gas mileage was around 10-12. Had to sell or I was going to lose my license soon; thats why I have a Pathy! Can have fun even going slow! :wacko:

Wouldn't the ECU throw all sorts of crazy errors due to the new sensor readings its not designed for?... I can't see it being as simple is plug it in and go.. or even close to that. And if its a case of just ECU tuning, why couldn't you take your stock pathy ECU's to a place and have them flash it for you? I know the guys in the Turbo Dodge/Ford/Saab Community do this frequently... and they're not just changing the boost levels, they're remapping the fuel delivery and other fancy smancy engine doohikies.

Same engine block same sensors I don't see that as being a problem...

I know that Honda tuners do this with civic ECU's all the time...

Next time I'm at the JY I'll pick one up (provided it's not too expensive)

I'd assume it'd have to be an 87-89 ECU right?

Edited by SC88Pathy

And finally, are you talking a much more modern swap that an earlier Maxi? Near as I can see, the 222hp engine didn't come until 2000. Before that, we're looking at 190hp for a few years, and by the mid 90's and before only 160 in most models with 190 going to the SE's. I'd bet the earlier models would be a much more direct swap, but obviously at much less benefit.

According to some of the info I gathered, the earlier Maxi's came with 222 stock. unless the info I found is full of crap. If earlier Maxi's came with that type of h/p, then screw it, might as well stay with a pathy engine.

According to some of the info I gathered, the earlier Maxi's came with 222 stock. unless the info I found is full of crap. If earlier Maxi's came with that type of h/p, then screw it, might as well stay with a pathy engine.

Nope VG30 maxi's had 160hp, VE30DE Maxi's had 190hp.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/history.htm#VE30DE