Got new headers on my R50,

Hey guys and Pezzy :P

As you may already know i had cracked my factory cast exhaust manifold. I knew that i had cracked 1 side and wasnt sure about the other. Turns out that both sides had 2 cracks in between the ports.

I had some fabricated headers fitted today :D . I have only driven 20 miles since they were fitted and my first impressions are WOW.

I now have alot moremid range power and the motor feels like there is noticeably more torque.

I will put some pics up of the cracked manifolds up soon but i have a pic of the headers fitted.

Edited by OzMattie
  • Like 2

Hi venge. Sorry not custom they are made by Hurricane headers( I think they may be an Aussie company) But wouldnt hurt to look in the states anyhow.

Just a warning to all of us that love playing in the muddy bogholes and deeper water. The exhaust guy has never seen a pathy crack both cast manifolds the way that mine had, he is almost certain that this was caused by water. ie River crossing or mudholes

Not on mine it isnt. My Stillens are about 1/3 the length of those and feed directly into the first set of cats (pre-cats). The second set of cats (post-cats) are farther down the line.

There is no Y-pipe on an R50. It has dual exhaust feeding into a single muffler. After the muffler, it comes out in 1 pipe, and feeds into a second muffler/resonator, and out the back. That's the stock setup anyways.

PS: Mattie, I did a search for Hurricane Headers and Hurricane Extractors, and it does appear they are an Aussie company. Their stuff looks very nice. I didn't see one for an R50 though...are those specifically for the R50, or were they fitted from something else, if so...what?

Not on mine it isnt. My Stillens are about 1/3 the length of those and feed directly into the first set of cats (pre-cats). The second set of cats (post-cats) are farther down the line.

There is no Y-pipe on an R50. It has dual exhaust feeding into a single muffler. After the muffler, it comes out in 1 pipe, and feeds into a second muffler/resonator, and out the back. That's the stock setup anyways.

whoa, forgot what section I was posting in. :unsure: Thanks for the info. :D

Funny, on my truck (1997), it only has "pre-cats" that bolt to the manifolds. There are no "post-cats" anywhere on my exhaust system.

It gets wierder Dean! Your truck has the Cali emissions and mine doesnt.... :shrug:

Mine is a 1997 with 48 state emissions and there are two cats, one on the left, and one on the right. No four cat set up on mine or any other R50 VG33 that I have seen in the junk yards.

PS: Mattie, I did a search for Hurricane Headers and Hurricane Extractors, and it does appear they are an Aussie company. Their stuff looks very nice. I didn't see one for an R50 though...are those specifically for the R50, or were they fitted from something else, if so...what?

they are made specifically for the r50.

No way we are going to get those here in the states legally. Well not legal for highway use that is. Our cats are a much different set up than yours. We have a six bolt flange that is practically right out of the manifold. Your headers look like they go quite a way down under the truck. What do the headers cost without installation?

Gave up on trying to fit the VG30 headers huh, OzMattie??

Your headers look very nice. I'm jealous as I also have a cracked (passenger side) exhaust manifold. You should buy another set and ship them to me (at my expense).......put "sewing machine parts" on the customs paperwork. :D

Edited by AssBeard

• 6 years later...

Hey guys and Pezzy :P

As you may already know i had cracked my factory cast exhaust manifold. I knew that i had cracked 1 side and wasnt sure about the other. Turns out that both sides had 2 cracks in between the ports.

I had some fabricated headers fitted today :D . I have only driven 20 miles since they were fitted and my first impressions are WOW.

I now have alot moremid range power and the motor feels like there is noticeably more torque.

I will put some pics up of the cracked manifolds up soon but i have a pic of the headers fitted.

Do they make your pathy sound pretty nice??