Fuel Tank

I welded mine (silver soldered it actually) a few years back by running the exhaust from a car through it. I hooked the hose from a vacuum cleaner over the end of the wife's Camry and placed it into the tank. The idea is that the exhaust doesn't contain enough oxygen to support combustion. I'm still here so it worked. No flare-ups or explosions.

The weld lasted but it started leaking at the seam and that is impossible to seal from the outside. I ended up buying a new tank last winter from Canadian Tire for around $250 (?? memory is now rusty)

Brian

I welded mine (silver soldered it actually) a few years back by running the exhaust from a car through it. I hooked the hose from a vacuum cleaner over the end of the wife's Camry and placed it into the tank. The idea is that the exhaust doesn't contain enough oxygen to support combustion. I'm still here so it worked. No flare-ups or explosions.

:lol: Redneck sheilding gas?

That's the first time I had heard of doing that.

Redneck sheilding gas?

LMAO !! Makes sense though, unless the car is running really rich... :o

theyve tought and retought and said and told and made darn good sure that we know at the fire dept that ur better off welding a gas tank with gas in it as opposed to water

Ok, educate me on that. I have heard many things that defy logic, but that one escapes me... It is better to weld a tank (leaking to top it off) filled with highly combustable fuel than water ?? :blink:

B

Well, if the tank is drained, and has the sender, and fill hose removed if you weld the outside and happen to ignite any fumes it won't be very explosive since it will be uncontained, it would be more of a flash like lighting the gas grill. Now, seal the outside completely and the tank would go boom.

I might be off base here, but there is no way in HELL that I would $#&% with a gas tank and welding! I am all about DIY stuff, but that is one job that I would leave to the pros to do it properly the first time out. You have to remember we are talking about GAS here, it could hit the exhaust, etc. I would not be messing with JB weld or any other product, just get it done right. The life of my family and I is way more important than a few extra $$$$. I say don't $#&% with gas!

Zack

That is one good thing about diesel, you can't blow the stuff up if you try.

I watched a guy (a licensed fuel tank manufacturer) weld my diesel tank after only draining the fuel. It smoked a bit but did not even catch alight. I was standing well back ready to run, but nothing went off.

If you are thinking of a larger tank replacement I have found that a Nissan GU Patrol 90L tank fits straight in. That is if you guys find them over there in the wreckers (junk) yards.

:help:

I've been looking all over the place for replacement fuel tanks for not soooo much $$$$$$....Not having too good of luck.  I think I poked two tiny pin holes in the tank.  I jacked the ass end of the Pathy up so the fuel will move away from the holes and I cleaned and dried the area.  Took some JB Weld and put it over the holes.  Lots better, but not 100% cured.  I'm wanting to get a new tank and clean it and seal it from the inside.  Then paint the outside with a POR15, E.R.F., or Rino lining type paint to prevent puncture.  Any ideas? :shrug:

Years ago when I was a kid, we had a tiny leak in the gas tank of our 1958 Vauxhall and my Dad used a steel metal screw coated with an two tube adhesive like JB Weld with a little extra hardner and a fiber washer. We owned the car for about 15 years after the repair and never had a problem. :clap: