Valve Tap noise?

zack1978

Hey everyone,

When My Pathfinder was new (less than 20,000 miles) when you first started the engine when cold you would hear a valve tap until the oil pressure built up. At that point Nissan replaced the long block due to the valve tap. The noise still did not go away but it lessened. So fast forward to today the truck has 165,000 miles on it. I have always used Mobil 1, and it burns no oil at all. BUt now it seems that when it sits for a few days or so, when you start it the valve tap is much louder than it used to be. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Zack

Well, the fact that it sits for a while allows most, if not all, oil to drain to the pan. A filter with a leaky ADBV will only compound the issue. The Mobil1 flows quickly, so that is not the issue assuming you use the 5W/10W - 30? Sludge deposits could impede the flow of the oil, but since you use Mobil1 this is probably unlikely.

When you take the oil fill cap off, the inside on the valve cover looks PERFECT! So I assume the innards of the engine are clean. It runs great, but it is just strange that it is louder than it used to be. But again it is olnly loud when you let it sit! Well the oil will be changed soon so if the ADBV in the filter is bad I will put a new one one soon. Also I have only EVER used an OEM Nissan filter.

Thanks,

Zack

You might try a Wix oil filter just to see if there is any difference. These are quality oil filters as well and they have a reliable silicone ADBV. The NAPA Gold and CarQuest Premium filters are also rebadged Wix filters.

the tapping is due to the fact that you have hydrolic lifters. It's a fact of life. The only way to eliminate the tapping at cold startup is to let your oil get sludgy enough so it doesn't drain out of the valve cover. Of course, that'd stop the engine noises too.

cold startup tapping is just your lifters until they pump up. no biggie.

the tapping is due to the fact that you have hydrolic lifters. It's a fact of life. The only way to eliminate the tapping at cold startup is to let your oil get sludgy enough so it doesn't drain out of the valve cover. Of course, that'd stop the engine noises too.

cold startup tapping is just your lifters until they pump up. no biggie.

Glad someone said it.

Lifter tick is ok, don't worry about it.

Agreed. Had the same noise after driving the engine at 3/4 hot for about 8ookm's 4wdriving in high backcountry. Burnt off all the carbon deposits, had the cleanest engine ever, but noisy. Added an oil additive( which most people say are crap) and problem solved. Motor is now running so good it feels like new and I have 200,000km's on it, and I cane it out bush, burns not a drop, I have the same amount every oil change that I put in 6 months ago.

Al

You can also try a thicker oil. That may help.

Ba advised that if you use a thicker oil, you'll keep the cams from getting proper oiling upon startup, which could be very bad in the long run. I got well over 100,000 miles with lifter tapping and 1 quart of oil burn per 2 tanks of fuel. It's a pain in the butt, but cheaper than the alternative.

If you aren't experiencing oil burn, you want to rid the motor of obnoxious noises (for a while), and have some extra cash, consider getting some performance camshafts (ie eurospec or Isky), and replace your lifters and rockers. P.S. My lifters were VERY pitted on top from the bashing they took for all those years.

i had the problem, i have 170K on my pathy. I started using a filter with the anti-drain back valve.. problem solved! :aok:

Does the OEM NIsaan filter have an anti drain back valve? All I have ever used in my Path is an OEM filter. At 165,000 miles, it does not burn a drop of oil!

Zack

I'm not sure about the filter. I do know that after an engine wears you need to fill the gap. That is why I recommended a thicker oil. If you used say a mobil1 0W-40 that may help fill those gaps. I would try the lucas stuff first. I found another person who uses it today at my body shop.

I have a similar problem on my 95 hardbody with the 4cyl. If I stop it Hot and let it sit a short time, it sounds like the engine is comming unglued. Very loud lifter clack. It goes away after a short period of time and will be smooth as a kitten.