Former Racer/Drifter Goes OFFROAD

The Drift

Well about 2 months ago I was looking for a new daily driver. I've always been a sports car guy. It was between an 89 Civic with a B16A1 swap, al ready for the road course, and a 97 Pathy. Somehow....the pathy won. My first mission was to convince friends and family that it was NOT an SUV but a TRUCK. I hate SUV's lol. I did this by driving it through every ounce of mud I found (which is hard in the burbs of Chicago) and challenging them to do it with their "SUV"

For now, it's stock. I am adding new tires next week. Either BFG All Terrain ( I drive 60 hwy miles a day at least) or Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. I hope to have the brush guard on the way next week. I want a whole bumper, but just don't have the money right now. I hope to lift it 2 inches ASAP, with lockers. Pretty much over the course of the year make this thing the perfect blend of daily driven comfort and able to hange with the big boys on the trail. My buddies all have ridiculous "show" off road trucks that I can park my pathy under. I'm looking forward to taking my lil truck and pulling THEM out of the mud.

I hope to learn some stuff here, as this is my first TRUCK lol.

Welcome! WAVEY

I'v wanted to get into drifting for a while but I don't have the finances to support it right now. :(

I ALWAYS refer to the pathy as a truck, 87-89 pathys are even more truck like (only two doors and body on frame construction :D ).

Pathy's are very capable off roaders as I'm sure you're finding out. Hopefully we can answer any and all questions you might have! :aok:

ahh welcome someone actually from chicago cool beans what part you in? trust me it isnt that hard to find mud you just gotta look B) I had a mudhole mug me just again today B) and here check out this site its an xteraa site but join up people are cool and they arent a bunch of web crawlers they actually go out 4wheeling click on linky enjoy the forums people are helpful here and let me know where your at.

post-19-1145756715.jpg

Welcome. Here in the Dallas 'burbs I rarely get attacked by mud but always keep my eye out for it. I call mine a Truck too. It is jut not very SUV'y to me. This bitch was built for fun and I damned-well plan to do just that with her. Mine is a DD also but I will have a pic like fordsho's soon.

soo... I guess if you dont like calling it an SUV, you wont like the nickname caR50? :D

Welcome to the board... both of those tire choices are pretty good... I have the revos on the pathy and I love em... gets me thru all sorts of terrain. Also we had the BFG's on the X and the hubby liked them (until he upgraded to Xterrains) B)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

-SC88, Drifting can be expensive, but doesn't have to be. If you want to do it cheap find an 86 or 85 corolla. THrow a decent sent of shoes on and get learning. Or a 240sx. Both of these cars you can find dirt cheap, still running. THe corrolla is a harder find but has near 50/50 distribution, so you can drive sideways just as easy as straight.

-Fordsho, Lombard to be exact...so not REALLY chicago. How bout you? And where do you know to go mudding without driving way up north. So far I've settled for barren lots and construction sites lol.

hey drift im in Berwyn.....there is a vacant lot just up 31st street if your heading east cross over 294 and it just on the left you have to drive in a little bit but there is a nice pit back there and your far enough off the road that no one can see ya.....just follow the trail in and look for the big dirt hill you...... get the idea.......I like yourself am stuck doing the construction sites thing but I find enough of em to at least get my fix for mud :D and by the way a pathy is definatly a truck hehe

Welcome! Mine's a truck as well.

And if you get into drifting DO NOT buy a car from up north! I got a little 4-speed Tercel as my delivery car and I enjoyed skidding around corners and understeering the hell out of it (can't really power into a slide, it's FWD). Anyways, the axle was rusted out and it cost me more than the car was worth to fix after I broke it.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, the pathfinders are addictive. Its nice to take something else off-road and make people do a double take. I had a 91 300zx and traded it for my 95 pathy. The z car was fun to drive and I drifted some(illegaly, which was not smart), but I grew out of it. Just needed a vehicle that could do more. Welcome and enjoy your truck!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder