Lockers w/ IFS and what i read today

SteeevO

today i was reading in peterons 4wheel and off road and they were saying that lockers in and ifs is scary because of that fact that the housing is weaker and if u had a locker in there and the the frong wheels spinning and one side catches...well.. you would crack open the housing.. they recomend putting a LSD up front over a locker

what do you guys think?

how strong is a R200?

I don't know what car they were talking about, but stranger things can and do happen.

All 4wds risk breakages if a fast spinning wheel suddenly finds traction. Especially the on the front. More so for an IFS car than a live axle car, but the risk is still there. A locker in the front is preferred by pro drivers if only a single locker is going to be used (we have flogged this topic to death in the past so look it up). It makes sense (to me) that a locker in the front will help prevent the front wheels from spinning at different speeds and thus sh!tting themselves when traction is found. The new fad here is to put LSD in the front. It helps with traction not to the same extent as a locker but a LSD will not bind while turning, thus allowing you to steer. A LSD will also let go well before a CV breaking point is reached if it is set up correctly.

muw much is a new CV??

cuz when this diff gets bolted in... i'm sure i'll wheel for about a day before going and getting lockers.

but after reading that it got me worried.

From what I understand if you add a diff locker it will actually strengthen the diff as the carriers are stronger than the factory ones. Especially the ARB air locker or for that matter even the Lockrite auto locker. Its usually the nut behind the wheel that is the weakest point in any vehicle.

post-6-1146125260.jpg

ok wait. so your saying that using a locker up front, i can possibly bust a UCA??? i have never heard that, i have heard of tie rods, CV's, and such, but never breaking a control arm. Wow, please tell me otherwise....(or advise me in why :mellow: )