Roof rack basket version 3.0

Mr. Pickles

Here's a quick low-down. Started a few years ago with a loosely based home-built version of the quick rack posted by Mookie. That did ok, then the next year I tore it apart partially to throw some PIAA 40's up there, but nothing major.

This year, I've torn the thing apart pretty much. Tossed the mickey-mouse BS, re-thought a few things, and put my sorta new welder to use. The welder first fabbed the mounts I made to mount my chrome Land Rover Disco grill guard, which was where the PIAA's landed. Then it welded the bumper to the frame after I broke the old welds playing. :rolleyes: Welding was necessary due to the P.O.S. bracketry of the PA body lift kit. Its pretty solid now, though. sly

On to the roof, I've shaved a couple inches off the top of the front of the basket to give a little more wind friendly rake (not much though). I'm going to finish that with a fairing along the lines of an Xterra, but using clear plexiglass so the lights shine through. The bracing has been revised, as has the lighting. I'm now sporting 4 Pro Comp 100 watt driving lights. Holy @$%*#$ are they bright. Yeah, they're overkill, but tell that to the guy rolling chrome 24's on his Corolla. At least my isht is sorta functional. This whole thing sits pretty far back, due to the sunroof.

Sooo, here are some quick pics. This is about 3/4 done.

post-9-1145168251.jpg

Be sure to keep up to date for what will most likely be the inevitable Villager alternator swap after I melt my stock one due to around 600 watts of total forward lighting (including PIAA's and headlights). :D

post-9-1145168453.jpg

And yes, I fully realize that the top bar crosses in front.

a ) I don't think the trees will mind maybe a tad less light going up

b ) You could probably signal Mars with those things anyways

c ) I was too lazy to completely rebuild the rack to an obcene height

d ) I like the extra protection offered

e ) All of the above

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Looks good Mr P. :aok:

FUELER, iirc he picked them up off of ebay from a local guy... so yeah, deal plus no shipping ;)

Thanks, and... Exactamundo. Paid about $65 for all 4 brand new in the box. Found a guy on eBay who happens to live about a mile from home. They go for about $25-30 each (plus shipping), and from my experience with them would still be a good price on some pretty sweet lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is pretty much the finished product. I'm still working on the wiring inbetween a many other projects. The proportions of the rack aren't ideal (front bar crossing in front of the top of the lights), but I didn't want to start from scratch. Plus that will provide some protection from stray branches. You can barely make out the sheet of plexiglas/Lexan across the front as a wind deflector. That actually made a ton of difference, as the wind noise is way quieter now going down the highway.

post-9-1145972566.jpg

Here's a close up with some reflections to hopefully make the plexi pop out. Its just your basic stuff, can't think of the thickness, but not very. It was $14 for a 2'x4' sheet, of which I used less than half. But who knows if I'll ever be able to break it, and if it does, it will still save the life of the lights which is what I'd prefer anyways. It is mounted in 8 spots and rests agains the upper and lower bars all the way across, so it feels quite sturdy.

lookin' good pickles 

post-9-1146019012.jpg

dang pickles you more or less stole my exact idea

i just started my rack today, using 3/4 steel tube instead of conduit

but i too am using the fairing idea, 'cept mines gonna be a piece of removable sheetmetal, that way when i go wheelin and need the light, i just pop the fairing off and "hevenly light" comes from de roof

wish i would have thought of a plexiglass before i bought my metal....oh well.... you beat me to the chase

Looks good. But iwas wondering if there is enough angle to help deflect the wind?

Who knows, but its a helluva lot quieter so if I gained nothing in mileage I still come out ahead in my book.

the heat from the lights won't melt/warp the plexiglass will it mr P? looks mighty nice tho

I don't imagine that will be a problem. Although its hard to see, there are several inches clearance, as I left plenty of room to take off those huge Pro Comp solid plastic covers. But hey, if it gets broken, melted, whatever, live and learn. Its just goofing around really, so I'd just use thicker plexi next time. I need projects to keep me out of trouble. :laugh: