Fender Liner Replacement

dagwoodzz

You've probably already been thru your umpteenth set of mud flaps. I tried to make my own with some wire mesh reinforcement. The hope is that it will prevent cracking at the attachment points.

This is my first webpage and first homemade mudflap. Feel free to critic' and even make fun of. I hope it post correctly.

MUDFLAP DIY

(Edited title to Fender Liner)

Edited by dagwoodzz

not bad, I need to do something like that on my pass side, that thing is completely gone; thanx for the write up.

:beer:

There was some posts a while ago where someone used some type of plastic sled thing

ohh good idea, i thought u meant for the tires, glad i looked at the link, please keep us posted on how it goes

Me too, those are fender liners (FYI). I need to redo mine as well.

Fender liners or gap gaurds is what they're called. Or rubber bit that keeps the engine from getting muddy works too. :P My materials and tracings are still just sitting in the garage waiting for me to cut them out and put them on the pathy...

Fender liners or gap gaurds is what they're called. Or rubber bit that keeps the engine from getting muddy works too. :P My materials and tracings are still just sitting in the garage waiting for me to cut them out and put them on the pathy...

They're still sitting there? I know it took me forever and a day to send you the tracings, but sheesh! :D J/K, by the way! I kept the old torn up liners/gap guards, by the way, in case somebody was in need of the outline. I used an SUV cargo mat from Walmart. $9.99, its nice and thick, and 6 months or so now with no problems at all.

I'm using some rubber material that they had at my local orchard supply. I think it was in the flooring department cost me like $20 after tax for enough material to do both sides.

And yah I know Mr. P I done been real lazy. I was all hot to trot after I recieved your tracings but then I didn't have an exacto knife. And then it rained alot and then school and work and now it's raining a lot again. Sigh maybe I'll have them done by summer.

Nice UCA'S.

I just cut up some semi truck flaps and used two pieces per side to cover up the fenderwells

Actually you were my inspiration from a post probably a year ago. Went to the J/Y and starting cutting the mud flaps off an RV. This vagrant looking guy comes out cussing that i'm tearing up his house. I guess they let him live there to watch the place at night. He was pretty scary. Never went back and started looking for another way.

Actually you were my inspiration from a post probably a year ago. Went to the J/Y and starting cutting the mud flaps off an RV. This vagrant looking guy comes out cussing that i'm tearing up his house. I guess they let him live there to watch the place at night. He was pretty scary. Never went back and started looking for another way.

Totally LMAO! :laugh:

By the way, what's with zip-tie madness? You can buy replacements for those little plastic plugs that used to hold the things on for a few bucks a pack at many/most auto part stores. Yeah, you might need a few packs of 2 sizes, but its a bit cleaner. Or you could try pulling them from a junkyard truck. A lot of the ones I've seen around still had them intact, as the rubber gap guard things would just tear away and leave them behind. ;)

Edited by Mr. Pickles

plastic plugs .....you might need a few packs of 2 sizes

2 sizes as in longer length or larger diameter? The new liner is about .375", a lot thicker than the old. The plastic plugs weren't long enough to engage. I agree it would look better, it they make them longer I will look into it. As far as looks you practically have to remove the tire to see them.

I went to Home Depot and bought some black side walk runner. It comes on a roll, really easy to cut. Drilled some extra holes and screwed it in. Came out pretty nice. ill take a couple pics later. :cool2:

2 sizes as in longer length or larger diameter?

Diameter. 3 or 4 big ones, and 6-7 small ones or so per side. I'd say it depends on the replacement material you use, as stiffer stuff won't allow you to bend and hit all of them. Its pretty straight forward though, especially if you have at least one of each intact. You should be able to find a close match most anywhere.

Edited by Mr. Pickles