My new roof basket

bear claw

-bounce-

Just got my new basket and extension and have put it together -bounce-

Now I could use some ideas on how to fasten it to the roof(something about screwing it directly to the roof sheet metal for a low profile look)

but still be able to remove and install easily?

Appeciate any suggestions thank you

post-1-1143767161.jpg

hey that basket looks familiar!

I assume he doesnt have the stock roof rack... as that basket comes with clamps to attach to crossers...

I'd take the headliner out to get a good look at the supports and possible ways to rig some HD brackets

possibly weld up some sort of bracket that would allow you to screw into it..im thinking like the corss members on the stock racks so you dont have some eye sore (studs pokin up) when the rack is not installed

The roof panel on my '87 did not have any structural elements in it that I felt were adequate to support anything more than 20 or 30 pounds without permanently altering the roof (ie - caving it in!)

The best options I see to mount without damaging the roof are:

- use cross bars anchored to side walls

- design load distributing feet that contour to the roof and spread the load over several square feet. Try to concentrate towards the edges of the roof as well.

Go for a Yakima or Thule cross bar set-up. I scored my Yak rack on eBay for like $70 (or less) including the bars, towers, and clips. Now I hold the basket on with some Ubolts, which with a lift, you could mount a few far enough toward the middle as to keep thiefs from getting at them.

Yo! i just bought the same rack off of ebay. I should be getting it today. Then im gonna throw my spare up there and remove the tire rack. I really like the way that looks, haveing the tire on the roof. -bounce- :cool2:

post-1-1144417714.jpg

Do us a favor and do a "before" and "after" mpg comparison.

I've heard 1 to 2 mpg impact at highway speeds.

I didn't notice really anything for mileage until mounting some lights. That must have been just enough resistance to notice a difference. But I'm rebuilding my basket double strong with double the lights (4XProComp 100watt), with a new approach to wind and drag. I'm gonna try a clear plexiglas fairing across the front. Similar to what Yakima and Thule offer to help airflow, but clear so my lights can still shine through. Results to follow...

You know, The tire looks sweet up on top, but if you have a garage or something carport to pull into or under, it's a PITA! I can't pull into my garage with the tire in the basket. Expecially once I get my BL on. I'm hoping I can make it in with the basket on the top. If not, off comes the basket. :sniff:

Good luck with that! :beer:

I am considering two reinforced brackets sandwiching sheet metal and interior liner running the length perimeter edge of roof (leaving the option for interior mods B) ) and quick connect something

Still in the what the thing can hold and weigh process (200 250lb) :P

I might have to get dual shocks if I keep going :wacko:

post-1-1144801514.jpg

• 2 weeks later...