K&N Performance Intake Kits

statikuz

Hey, I think we should all head over to www.knfilterchargers.com/products_needed/ and request a FIPK or a 77 Series High Flow Intake for our era of Pathfinder, I requested one and talked to a K&N rep about it, she said they usually get on new products pretty fast if the demand is shown, and I don't think they're gonna make one just for me. =)

I'm with you on this one, I mean, after all, if no one KNOWS that we want aftermarket parts, they're certainly not going to just make some out of the blue. By showing enough interest to the manufacturers, they'll realize the profit potential and start making us some good stuff.

Sent, kudos to you for putting that up. This would be great if they make one for us, I've been looking for a kit for some time now. Like it was said before, they won't know unless we tell them.

M.M.

Emailed her again, she said that they'll email us all if they take any action on the requests...

"I haven't heard of anything, but for sure they will email you with any information."

• 1 year later...
i sent in one too, we should do this to other maufactures as well, like bushwacker, they quit making those cut out flares, and i'd really like to have a set of tehm

www.truckperformance.com still has those Bushwacker flares in stock. And do they look good!

Before you install a K&N or any other cotton gauze knock offs, you owe it to yourself to read this:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

The Reader's Digest version: They do flow more. A little more air, and a lot more dirt. And they plug up a lot faster. Up to you to decide if the frequent servicing and dirt ingestion (and resulting shortened engine life) is worth the (possible) performance improvement.

I used them on my track bike as it made a tiny little improvement and I only put a few hundred miles per year on it. Never in vehicles I plan to keep over 100K miles. Expecially where I live - the dirt is mostly decomposing granite from the sierras - which is very hard and very abrasive.

I just change the paper filter frequently.

Okay... they've dynoed these things. The performance gain isn't an IF. My friend's Blazer K5 got 15 HP... it was dynoed.

Now about the dirt, you may be right. I've never heard about such a problem. But the first step to deciding if we want to get one or not is if K&N makes something for us in the first place. Let's get these things manufactured, then we can decide if we want them.

lol

"Ken an employee of Testand offered to perform the tests at no charge. (These tests typically cost approx $1700.00 per filter)."

for some reason i don't think the employee ken is going to be able to just waive the $1700 charge out of his own good heart unless he owns the "$285,000" machine =D

Before you install a K&N or any other cotton gauze knock offs, you owe it to yourself to read this:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

The Reader's Digest version: They do flow more. A little more air, and a lot more dirt. And they plug up a lot faster. Up to you to decide if the frequent servicing and dirt ingestion (and resulting shortened engine life) is worth the (possible) performance improvement.

I used them on my track bike as it made a tiny little improvement and I only put a few hundred miles per year on it. Never in vehicles I plan to keep over 100K miles. Expecially where I live - the dirt is mostly decomposing granite from the sierras - which is very hard and very abrasive.

I just change the paper filter frequently.

That kinda looks like an AC Delco commercial... I really like the first bar graph... 96% all the way up to 100%... :o I bet that graph wouldn't look the same if someone who didn't have AC Delco money in their pocket would have done those test. ;)

PS: Buy more AC Delco products, they ARE made from solid gold. :aok:

haha yeah

"Filter efficiency is a measure of the filters overall ability to capture dirt."

really? based on what? =)

and its also funny that they randomly Capitalize words like Air Flow... something that a scientific report would have been proofread for :D

Okay... they've dynoed these things. The performance gain isn't an IF. My friend's Blazer K5 got 15 HP... it was dynoed.

Now about the dirt, you may be right. I've never heard about such a problem. But the first step to deciding if we want to get one or not is if K&N makes something for us in the first place. Let's get these things manufactured, then we can decide if we want them.

Yes, there can be significant improvements, especially in vehicles with poorly designed intake tracts. Chevy trucks (for one) are famous for "convenient" intakes rather than "free flowing" intakes.

And if you compare a new K&N (or ANY brand) to a dirty filter, it makes a very noticeable difference. That is how the majority of those comparison charts are generated: Run the vehicle using stock filter (don't mention it has 50K miles and is black!) and then swap in brand new brand X filter and test again. WOW!

This is called "marketing". Learn to recognize it...

As far as actual examples:

I learned on dirt bikes. A buddy installed a K&N in his XR-350. About 2K miles later, it started running poorly and then got worse and worse. Lots of debugging finally revealed the needle was "hourglassed" and the needle jet was "ovalized". What happened? The fine granitic dust that the K&N passed would stick to the damp needle, and as it slid in and out of the jet, it effectively filed everything down. Extreme application, yes. Just consider it an "accelerated" wear test. If you drive in minimally dusty areas, or in areas where the soil is NOT ultra hard silica, the wear caused by the dust passing through the engine will be MUCH reduced and you may not see any ill effects for many thousands of miles.

Another quicky test you can do yourself:

Smear a really thin layer of grease on the intake pipe past the filter. Install a new (OEM quality) paper filter. Drive 5K miles. Wipe the grease with a white rag. Notice how dirty the grease is. Repeat with K&N filter. Make your own conclusions. I have (see previous post).

NOT telling you what to do, just trying to help you make your own decisions based on facts, not marketing hype.