new lift or new rig?

dkpath96

Here's my big question: my '96 has 125k miles on it. I'd say maybe 10%

are off-road miles, the rest easy highway commute miles. I've put about $6000

in it in the three years I've owned it (big $$ was exhaust, new tires, new struts,

and clutch replacement).

I am torn between putting more $$ into it with a suspension lift (AC 2"),

or putting that $$ towards a younger Pathy or XTerra (2003, preferably).

I plan on doing more off-roading, either way.

What do you all think?

I am torn between putting more $$ into it with a suspension lift (AC 2"),

or putting that $$ towards a younger Pathy or XTerra (2003, preferably).

I plan on doing more off-roading, either way.

What do you all think?

:bow: VQ35

If a "younger" Pathy, you will still have the lift to deal with. I do not think there is much difference in ground clearance between the different years of the R50.

And how much more is a lift going to cost at this point?

Sound like the 96 you have is in good condition, very low miles for a 10 year old truck, with low off-road (hard -alcohol- ) miles. Unless there is something that we do not know (rust, major mechanical issues) you may be better off keeping it. Tough call though.

I think we all think those same thoughts!

I don't think it would be worth the effort to trade up to a newer pathy just for the bigger motor. Every other aspect pretty much remains the same - and depending on mileage, you'll end up doing the exact maintenance repairs again. The bigger motor would be nice, but if you want better off-road performance, dropping in lower T-case gears would serve you better than the larger motor. You have a solid vehicle that you know the recent history of to lift now, so I'd look at how much $$ it is to do a suspension overhaul, sliderz and full skids. Then look for bumpers (harder to get), M/T tires and a winch - and you're pretty well equipped to play. If you finished it off with the T-gears and a rear locker, you'd put the proverbial icing on the pathy cake.

Eventually, to build a capable trail truck, you'll sink $3,000 - 7,000 into whatever you start with. A stock 2003 Xterra isn't any more trail capable than a stock 96 Pathy, but as a build platform there are a lot more aftermarket choices for the X. If you put an initial build budget of $5000 into either one, I'd say at the end of it all the Xterra may be the more capable trail truck, but you may not need that extra percentage of off-road ability.

And you'll blow the $5000 as part of the initial trade up process anyway. So, there is no doubt you'll pay less coin overall to build your current truck, and you could do it in 30 days if you wanted to just lay out the cash in one massive upgrade-rebuild.

That's the reasoning I revert to in justifying more 'build options' for my 97. It's got so many scratches and dents, and is so trail worn that it would be a tough sell, and it works great so I plan on driving it into the ground..literally. I have documentation on almost all of it's service history, and it continues to get me out of the situations I need getting out of...

m.

post-7-1142805229.jpg

Thanks for the replies, guys, and the recommendations.

Here are two more variables I am chewing on...

1) my pathfinder will be paid off and mine outright in July... but car payments

aren't that big a deal for me.

2) here's what I'm up against:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-NISSAN...1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 sure makes it a tougher decision, eh?

wow

me like the blue!!

Well, having an X and a pathy at home, it is a lot easier to get mods for the X... there isnt really a lot out there for our trucks, and the 2" lift only seems to satisfy for so long... (however I am watching the 4" lift conversations... )

Hubby has brainstormed outloud at the possibility of saving up his pennies and going to the dark side of the force (Jeep) and leaving the X for me to offroad... and as fun as that might be... I really like my pathy... so I cant really say I'm sold on the idea.

If you got the X, would you get rid of the pathy? or have one as a DD, and the other a trail rig?

I agree with Herm. If the pathy is in good condition and almost paid for I would just keep it an mod it out. My wagon should also be paid of in June or July and I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off (and then maybe buy some new ones), granted I only will have about 65,000 miles on it by that time. I rather pay for maintence, repairs, and mods any day then a car note. Plus, I can of like being the under dog in the off road world! :laugh:

Edited by Trialsin26

That Xterra is really nice, but is it the truck you want to get through the first few seasons of true wheeling with? I think the question you need to ask yourself is what sort of trails, and learning curve, are you looking at in your area?

If your trails are in the woods, you are going to scratch your truck from end to end with branches, and if you wheel on twisty wooded trails you will start to accumulate fist sized dents from tree trunks. There is a constant risk of knocking out a rear side window. Add in rocks and ledges and you'll begin to destroy the plastic bumpers, and rockers if you don't have sliderz. If you wheel through mud and water then you have another set of issues, often just increased maintenence but that terrain also takes a toll on the interior. If you wheel in the snow, who knows what you'll eventually slide into.

As soon as you start to 'go wheelin' as as recreational activity the truck gets beat up, and you may need a budget to pay for broken stuff, in addition to the fun upgrades.

If you build the R50 you have, and spend two or three seasons finding it's limits, and developing your skills as a driver, you'll be in a better position to define what the next vehicle will be. X's and R50s remain really close in performance, even when built. But trail driving can just beat the hell out of your truck, so older, paid for, and proven is a better choice - the R50 is good platform.

But if you can get both, like Pezzy asked - that may be ideal. Build and break the R50 while the X is being paid off, then continue with the X?

Thanks for all the great thoughts! I've slept on the issue (always helps) and have

decided to keep the Pathfinder.

Herm, you are so right about the scratches. My gold (wife calls it dried mud) colored

pathy hides everything, from clearcoat scratches to, well, dried mud, very well,

and that blue X would show it like nothing else. And I've already experienced having

a log kick up and dent a door.

Besides that, I just can't talk myself into buying a vehicle on ebay that's over 500

miles from me, with no test-driving, looking it over, etc. That's not wise.

Third, the thought of having the pathfinder paid off so that more $$ can be put into

upgrades is just too good to pass up!

It's scary what the "bling" of a shiny new(er) truck does to the mind... lol

Again, thanks for the great input! :clap:

Now... OME or AC.... :D