How to clean the engine compartment

Hey everyone. I am looking to clean the engine compartment on my 2001 3.5 Pathy and I'm not sure how to start. With all the electricals under the hood, I don't want to short something out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this and what chemicals to use? Thanks :beer:

99% of the electrical connectors are watertight. They do that on purpose. Use some Purple Power or Castrol Super Clean on the dirty stuff and it'll all come clean. Simple Green works OK too, but that purple degreaser takes EVERYTHING off. Just be careful to not get any on the paint outside the engine compartment, it'll strip wax off and make it look crappy.

*snort* Have you never washed dishes before?

:lol:

(hides under a chair and chuckles a bit) :hide:

Understood what your saying, however, you must rinse these. If I remember correctly after I used Purple Power last, it left behind a stain where it wasn't rinsed. Use low pressure water as well...do NOT go to one of those car washes and use the HP hose to rinse your engine bay.

Use low pressure water as well...do NOT go to one of those car washes and use the HP hose to rinse your engine bay.

Good point - dont want to accidently hit your rad directly with one of those.

FWIW, I have a 1750psi electric pressure washer (from Home Depot), and I've used it many times to clean my engine bay. I first cover my open-element intake with a plastic grocery bag, then spray a "Degreaser/Cleaner" solution that I bought at Costco on the dirtiest parts, let it soak for about a minute, then spray the engine with the pressure washer. It works great.

Note, however, that I use the "wide-angle" setting on the nozzle, and hold the wand about 18" from any vehicle parts.

Afterward, I drive for a few minutes to heat up the engine and dry out the engine bay.

FWIW, I have a 1750psi electric pressure washer (from Home Depot), and I've used it many times to clean my engine bay. I first cover my open-element intake with a plastic grocery bag, then spray a "Degreaser/Cleaner" solution that I bought at Costco on the dirtiest parts, let it soak for about a minute, then spray the engine with the pressure washer. It works great.

Note, however, that I use the "wide-angle" setting on the nozzle, and hold the wand about 18" from any vehicle parts.

Afterward, I drive for a few minutes to heat up the engine and dry out the engine bay.

I've doen the same thing like 5 times with no problems

Good point - dont want to accidently hit your rad directly with one of those.

Heh...I PURPOSELY use the high pressure hoses at the spray wash, or my own pressure washer to hose out any built up crap in my rad......never had an issue. I also use the pressure washer to rinse the engine...........just try to avoid spraying the distributor cap too much......never been an issue.