LED Taillights

MrGame

There are many types to choose from. I don't have the brake lights, but have LED parking/marker lights and turn signals on our Acura. They're very bright and "crisp" looking, brighter than regular bulbs. Post up if you buy some, as I've been thinking about it since I've never really been impressed with the Pathy's brake light brightness. Too many near-miss times where I've almost been rear-ended.

If you're talking about the ones you can get from Autozone or the like, don't bother. They're junk. I tried them out and they didn't have half the light intensity that the standard halogens had. Not to mention they are incredibly overpriced at $8.99 each, as opposed to $1.49 for 2 halogens.

If you're talking about the ones you can get from Autozone or the like, don't bother. They're junk. I tried them out and they didn't have half the light intensity that the standard halogens had. Not to mention they are incredibly overpriced at $8.99 each, as opposed to $1.49 for 2 halogens.

that's what i was talking about, thanks for the heads up

Ah, yeah, I'm not suprised that the over-the-counter ones are not that hot and overpriced. PIAA makes some that aren't that much more expensive than that, and I bet they'd be good. I forgot to mention that the one's I've bought were on eBay. I found this guy in Hong Kong that sells and ships them for stupidly cheap, like $3 shipped for a pair of the wedge bulbs, and I think $8 for the pair of amber turn signals. Those amber ones have like 5+ LED's on each. The only problem is, the turn signal circuit didn't like the low power draw of the LED's and thought a bulb was burned out, so they'd flash really quick, which for some reason the ricers try to do on purpose. There are kits out there do make your blinkers flash quick. I ended up swapping them for some amber regular bulbs with a chrome finish. The LED's are quite bright though, and for that price I though "what the hell", gotta give it a try. The whole point of the LED's was I switched to clear light housings on the Acura and ditched the stock amber stuff, so amber bulbs looked dumb. Holy post jack! I just wrote a mini-novel, sorry. Moral of the story: check eBay. :rolleyes:

I have LED's in the rear tail/brake, and the turn signals, as well as the front corners of my 98 pathy...I bought all of them from VELOCITYLED (s) on Ebay...they were expensive (like Venge said compared to halogens) but they are very very hot!!!

I will try to get some pics for you but nothing blinks/repeats like and led and the brake lights are really bright with super quick reaction time!!

My Red Tails

My rearn turn signals

I am not happy with the front markers since they are note very bright as a 194 LED, but I am buying the LED domes, and the LED back up lights very soon!!

Edited by 98silverpathy

The Halo 1157's are nice, but spendy. Anything less won't make you happy, as others have said. The problem with generic LED bulb replacements is the focus. A regular bulb will spray light inside the housing pretty brightly and evenly. The LED replacements are usually just pointing straight ahead, so only a little light goes through the lens in a straight line...which doesn't fill the lens with light like a standard bulb does.

A simple answer to the fast flash of turn signals is to replace your flasher with an electronic model instead of a thermal one. Done, fixed, no more fast flash.

Also, regular 1157/etc bulbs aren't halogen, they're usually filled with argon just like regular home light bulbs.

The Halo 1157's are nice, but spendy

Also, regular 1157/etc bulbs aren't halogen, they're usually filled with argon just like regular home light bulbs.

Within the Yota community people have said they use 50w Blazer International MH1C lights.

I have looked around locally for some but have never had any luck finding them. I do plan on trying them as my Yota's backup lights suck for anything other than city driving... having a really dark tinted rear window (and now a canopy for the winter) has only made it worse.

I plan on calling/emailing Blazer directly about them.

Those who have reported using them said they made a huge difference and that they only cost a couple bucks each. If they work out in the Yota, the Pathy will also get a couple.

Edited by RedPath88

Hmm, that rights 1157's are dual filament, 56's are single. Been so long since I have had to replace a light in anything that I forgot :shrug:

Yeah these are for backup lights only. My mistake, these are replacements for an 1156 bulb and not an 1157. Although I have heard of brighter dual-filament bulbs I do not know if Blazer makes any.

So do you have the MH1C's? By chance do you know of any retail stores that carry them?

Edited by RedPath88

A simple answer to the fast flash of turn signals is to replace your flasher with an electronic model instead of a thermal one. Done, fixed, no more fast flash.

Close. I went round and round on the CL boards for that car, and to make it work right required a particular resistor thingy that you'd wire in-line at the lights so the car would see the load in the circuit. Or at least that's what a ton of guys claimed. The cheapest I could find was like $30, vs. $7 for the LED's now sitting in a drawer in the garage and the chromed 1156 bulbs that replaced them for another $8 or so. Close 'nuff.

I got my backup bulbs at GI Joe's, Stuart's Auto Parts also has them here in Salem.

Pickleman, I've done it before and I know it works. You can ALSO do the resistor trick to make a thermal flasher work, but then you gotta splice and cut wiring, or try and stuff the ends of the resistor across the terminals. With an electronic flasher ($12 at Knecht's Auto Parts) it just plugs in and works on the spot.

Pickleman, I've done it before and I know it works. You can ALSO do the resistor trick to make a thermal flasher work, but then you gotta splice and cut wiring, or try and stuff the ends of the resistor across the terminals. With an electronic flasher ($12 at Knecht's Auto Parts) it just plugs in and works on the spot.

Fair 'nuff. Guess I'll do that if/when the other bulbs burn out.

I have those blazer bulbs in the front lower turn signals of my path...I have painted all of the lense spare 1/4" of amber that is not even noticable until blinking...Autozone had those bulbs, I haven't seen them there since...I dunno what the deal is but I really do ike them!!

I needed the 50w's to get throught that small opening enough not to attract the local bacon's attention to a dim tunr signal.

For those of you that noticed the large cut out under the lense, that is where the grill for the ram air was and will shortly be the residence of the factory fogs relocated (and behind black grills again!!).

post-1-1141313315.jpg

Edited by 98silverpathy

Thanks, we have GI Joe's up here too :aok:

the GI joes up in Washington aren't as good as the ones in oregon.. I used to fequent the one of Lancaster in salem, and i have one just down the steet in puyallup.. i can't even get a decent bench seat cover up here and i used to buy them for our work trucks... i odn't know why but the salem one is better than my local anyway.

I wondered about that... I have been to the one in ALbany a couple times. and first time I walked in one here (the Puyallup store) I though "this is different." The same goes for the Federal Way store too. :shrug:

I wondered about that... I have been to the one in ALbany a couple times. and first time I walked in one here (the Puyallup store) I though "this is different." The same goes for the Federal Way store too. :shrug:

It seems to me that GI Joes has downsized the auto parts in the last several years in favor of sporting goods. The Puyallup one seemed to have a lot more "stuff" years ago. I go to the Kent one by work, and it still has a decent selection. And they carry a small selection of these LED bulbs, as well as a decent selection of driving and fog lights from cheap to expensive.