MY F*&%^kin Truck

lowrider

I'm not going to do my usual long winded post, cuz i'm way too pissed off right now.

Get fuel last night ($10 of cheap @!*%e, that was all that was close)

Go to the pub. It's cold outside, but not stupid cold.

Remote start the truck from inside when it's time to go, pages back to the remote that the truck started, then shuts down.

Go outside, truck won't start with the key.

Assume it ran out of gas or the lines froze. Added 5 gal of gas and 2 bottles of gas line antifreeze.

Still won't fire up but i can hear a 'clicking' from under the hood and can feel the fuel lines pulsing.

My truck is still in the parking lot, as i had to go to work this morning.

Fuel pump shot? How hard is it to do, it's in the tank i think, but is there separate access through the truck or do you have to drop the tank?

Any other suggestions? this happened not six days after my rad froze and left me stranded on the side of the road in -40C weather for 2 hours.

:help:

Try to turn the key to the "On" position, and listen for the fuel pump. If you don't hear it, it's an easy fix, though the pump isn't cheap. There's an access panel under the carpet in the cargo area that'll get you to the sending unit on top of the tank. Undo the bolts, and pull the sending unit out. The pump is attached to it.

i should've put that in the first post. with the key 'on' the pump will whine. after some time under crank, the tach will shoot to 4000 then down to 1000 even though it's not running. leaving the key on once the tach shows 1000 is when the underhood clicking starts.

I doubt it's fuel pump then....if you hear it, it should be pumping....I'd say you may have frozen gas, or some other issue.....but frozen gas seems most likely......doesn't explain why your tach is showing that it's running at 1000 RPM's though........

I'm thinking frozen gas too (and hoping for it). I'm going to where the truck's parked after work to see if it'll fire up. If not, tow strap tow to my buddy's stereo shop and leave it parked indoors for a few hours to hopefully thaw out.

Maybe the fuel rail is frozen? and the clicking is the injectors trying to cycle, sending signal to the ecu, attempting to juice the coil, sending a false signal to the tach?.........unlikely.

Anything's possible......and if it's THAT frozen, the electronics could be all fuggered as well....I'd say if she doesn't fire up, bring it to your friends shop and let it sit as you said........should fire right up once she thaws....

Anything's possible......and if it's THAT frozen, the electronics could be all fuggered as well....I'd say if she doesn't fire up, bring it to your friends shop and let it sit as you said........should fire right up once she thaws....

see, it was only about -13C last night (9F) and it was about the same temp. this am. Last week got down to -38C (-36F) with the windchill and no issues (other than the rad...grr...)

My fingers are crossed. thanks simon.

Edited by lowrider

Is the engine turning over at all?

Cause unless the starter or electrical connections to it are gone it will always try to crank. Lack of fuel or spark won't make it catch and fire up, but it will be turning.

The click from under the hood is that from the starter area? Maybe you have a bad connection on the battery or bad ground. It needs quite a bit of juice to get the starter motor turning so the terminals and so forth must be in good condition.

I had for the longest time a problem with my starter freezing up in the cold weather. 15 seconds of warming up with a torch always did the trick, but it was the solenoid that was freezing up so I never even got a click.

Yes, the engine turns, but won't fire up. The clicking is coming from the fuel lines.

I had the same starter issue, and replaced mine in Nov, never had a problem with the starter since.

Is the engine turning over at all?

Good point Luker....I assumed it was cranking...... If not, then your fuel has bugger all to do with the issue, as Luke said!

or mayby it's your alarm? anything is possible....i have a aftermarket remote start/alarm with no manual....(prev. owner install)when I replaced my alternator a few months back the same thing happened....but i never noticed a clicking noise. I had to get a alarm shop to reset my alarm, it wouldn't remote start or key start....only crank and crank like you said.

Edited by govols74n

Eli, try and run the codes. Watch for a crank angle sensor code.

Btw, is the Pathy in Calgary or Airdrie?

It's in Calgary at the Bull and Finch (southland and elbow)

Stupid eli question ---- how do i run codes?

New coil.  no start.  f *ck sakes.

There's a little grey box in behind the coil.....In the FSM it's called a Power Transistor...I had a bad connection to it, and mine wouldn't start.....check that one......it gave me symptoms similar to a dead coil.

Edited by Simon

There's a little grey box in behind the coil.....In the FSM it's called a Power Transistor...I had a bad connection to it, and mine wouldn't start.....check that one......it gave me symptoms similar to a dead coil.

Thanks Simon :aok:

I'll check that tomorrow after work when i go visit my truck, i'm going to owe you a cold one after all this advice in this thread.

No worries!! Hope I'm right.......

You definitely don't owe me a cold one for all the advice I gave you earlier in the thread that was wrong!! :D

Anyways, keep us posted, and if that isn't it, we'll move on to the next possibility. :aok:

so should that magic grey box have voltage going into it?

how did you fix yours?

someone from the calgary nissan 4x4 board suggested the timing belt may have skipped a tooth. he had the exact same problem and that turned out to be the culprit.

I believe so.......here's a testing procedure for the Power Transistor. Mine just got disconnected.......I can't remember why I had pulled the plug from it, but I did....and forgot to re-plug it in.

power%20transistor.jpg

Thanks Simon, i'll check it out. The aftermarket coil i bought doesn't come with the power transistor, so i'll have to buy a coil from satan if that's the issue, as the nissan ones come with it. Partsource doesn't list the power transistor at all.