Shifting Trouble

Racer38

My 2001 with an Auto seems to be having some problems shifting into overdrive, it doesnt do it all the time but when its real cold it just doesnt want to shift up some of the time..

Do I just need a service or is there something else pending failure ??

Thanks

Craig

My 02 seems to do the same thing, and I live right off the interstate which makes it very evident to me. Seems to go away after a few minutes, that is, shift up into OD. My wife's Hyundai does the same exact thing tho. I'm puzzled!

I think that this is part of the closed loop thing...after my path gets half way up the water temp meter...she too will then shift into overdrive.

I believe it is only over 40mph and fully warmed up.........now, wether that means the tranny is fully warmed or not I don't know...it may just be co-incidence that the water temp gets where it does when she shifts up. :shrug:

No the lockup does Ok when it finally shifts to OD, 3800 rpm at cruise is too high, I think it might be a temp issue as the fluid level is fine and the color is nice and red doesnt smell burnt.

I guess I just need to let it warm up a bit before stomping on the pedal on the highway ;->

Craig

When I added my trannie cooler, I was warned that in cold outside temperatures, there would be some degradation of the shifting until the trannie warmed up, so my guess is that is what is happening to you.

If you have not had the trannie serviced or do not know when/if it was done, I would highly recommend that you get it serviced ASAP. And consider a better trannie cooler.

I had the tranny serviced when I bought it a year ago, I think it is in fact a heat issue. I let it warm up fully this morning and it shifted and locked up just fine.

A tranny cooler up here in the Great White North probably would be more trouble than its worth as it never really gets that hot. Now if I was still living in GA that would be a different story.

I had the tranny serviced when I bought it a year ago, I think it is in fact a heat issue. I let it warm up fully this morning and it shifted and locked up just fine.

A tranny cooler up here in the Great White North probably would be more trouble than its worth as it never really gets that hot. Now if I was still living in GA that would be a different story.

Good to hear that. ;)

I live in the southern interior of BC, we get quite the extremes in temperature from -40c to +40, with steep hills. So I use a winter front when it is cold and the trannie cooler keeps things under control in the summer. B)

Give this a try. Warm the car up in Neutral instead of park as this will pump the tranny fluid. I have been having the same shifting troubles when cold. My cousin (who is a mechanic) told me to warm the car up a little in neutral and it has seemed to help a bit.

Give this a try. Warm the car up in Neutral instead of park as this will pump the tranny fluid. I have been having the same shifting troubles when cold. My cousin (who is a mechanic) told me to warm the car up a little in neutral and it has seemed to help a bit.

You beat me to this /\ /\ suggestion, I agree. :aok:

• 3 years later...

No kidding? Warm up in neutral, huh? Okay, I'll give that a shot, too. My 99.5 Pathfinder is also very slow to lockup. I drive about 2 miles to get to the freeway in the morning, and it takes about another 3 miles down the freeway before she finally locks up. I once owned a Ford (my first, and last) and its automatic transmission died. The subsequent repair cost more than the car was worth....by a long shot. I am now very, very protective of my auto transmission. If there's one service I don't ignore, it's AT service. Change that fluid at specified intervals, and avoid a $3500 AAMCO bill. There's my advice for the day :)