How this?

Vsicks Pathy

I had my Pathy tuned today. First time in about 3 years, and the only reason I was getting it done is because the stupid engine check light has been on for all that time. I had already done the oil, oil filter, plugs and leads etc. I go to pick up the Pathy ($208 later, $66 was a surcharge because it is a 4x4???) and the mechanic tells me that my Pathy (mechanically) is in excellent condition. I looked at his bill and I still can't think how it could have cost that much. $36 to top up the oils alone?? Never again will I subject myself to such abuse!

Anyway, driving around this afternoon and guess what comes on again, as usual, when the car gets to normal running temp? The check light.

I went to a mechanic to see what the problem was, so he could put his gadget on it and it could tell him what was what. In short, to have that very thing fixed . So I went back to see him. Guess how he checked the code? The same way I had checked it. Yep, by earthing a f*cking wire and reading the code. I KNOW WHAT THE CODE IS! I just wanted the actual problem to be pin pointed. There a 5 options as to what the problem could be when you refer to the code. $208 spent and I am no closer to what the cause is. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Guess how he checked the code? The same way I had checked it. Yep, by earthing a f*cking wire and reading the code.

Thats how most mechanics check old vehicle codes, just easier. I understand your angst though, ask them to tell you what specifically is wrong and get no where...

:::sigh::: it can be frustrating taking a vehicle in for something like that. A while after I bought my truck I took it in and they came back with, the distributor needs replaced. And until then we can tell you nothing... that will be $130 please.

And for a mere 7-800 hundred more we can replace that distributor for you... that's an estimate and not a set price.. oh and it's going to be 2-4 weeks before it will be done!

I replaced it myself, and it made zero difference to the way the truck ran :angry:

I hate shops :furious:

Edited by RedPath88

That's bullsh*t. I'd get in their face until they can give an answer as to what they're charging you for. Any one of us can pull a code on these older Pathy's, but so many shops out there act like they're holding golden knowledge. Sure, they MAY be able to pinpoint an issue... maybe, maybe not. Its only your money anyways. If I decide to take it in, I generally go in telling THEM what the problem is or at least what I think it is, what the code is, fix it and don't try and corner me into 15 other things that don't matter or have nothing to do with the problem.

Wait, on 2nd exam, you swapped to a 3.8 didn't you? If so, sorry for the rant, that was aimed at the stock engine and such.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

what code(s) are you getting?

It is not a Pathy code, it is a Commodore code. The code is 22 it can be anything from the throttle position sender to the temp sender, with everything in between including the ECU. That's why I went to a mechanic.

Mind you, the car is not effected in anyway by the fault. Just 3 years of looking at it starts to get anoying.

If nothing is truly hurt, may I be the first to suggest a strategically placed piece or black electical tape to cover the light on your dash? :X

Or remove the bulb.

but then I will miss a new problem that may arise.

I will go through each possible problem untill I find it now. Starting with the cheapest of course.

but then I will miss a new problem that may arise.

I will go through each possible problem untill I find it now. Starting with the cheapest of course.

then put a switch in it and you can turn it on to check :cool2:

Edited by parthy

Guest whitebb

Shops totally suck. I know, I worked in the auto service industry for 20 years. When I bought my R50, the first thing I bought was a scan tool, under $100 at wallyworld.Mine is OBD2. Don't know anything about OBD1 in Jap cars thou.

code 22 steveo, i will have a think about it tonite

do you think its a wiring issue?

ive only ever had one engine code twice, and that was basically due to running rich.

you used a vn manual computer didnt you?

code 22 steveo, i will have a think about it tonite

do you think its a wiring issue?

ive only ever had one engine code twice, and that was basically due to running rich.

you used a vn manual computer didnt you?

Good morning Steve.

I can't remember if it was a VN or a VP computer. I think it was VP computer with a VN loom but I am not sure.

Not a wiring issue. Not with the TLC I put into it anyway. :D

morning to you sir! :D hope your about to have a good day ;)

if you were in in adelaide i would let you swap sensors one by one to see what happens.

could you try doing this with the vr?

ie. the tps, oxy sensor, etc..

Edited by sw