calmini steering with front sway bar

SteeevO

what sway bars do you have on your pathy?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. what sway bars do you have on your pathy?

• Both Front and Rear
    • Front Only
    • Rear Only
    • Niether, Took Both Front And Rear Off

i got the calmini steering installed but now... it hits the front sway bar when turning all the way to one side ... it pissed me off.... any sugestions besides removing it??...cause i already removed it but now i hate how much it sways... it was ok with the back on off but now the front too....there is no way.. that is outta control ...

if anyone has suggestions please let me know

thnks

-Steven

Have you got the tie rods adjusted right? I haven't heard of any swaybar problems, it shouldn't interfere with it. FWIW, I've heard that the tie rod adjusters get kinda wacky when you get the alignment right...one is all the way out, one is all the way in.

Somepics of how it is now.. i took off the sway bar.... it adjuster would hit when the wheel is turned most of the way to one side... the rancho stablizer bracket on the center link would also hit it..

steering1.jpg

steering3.jpg

steering2.jpg

here is a pic from a long time ago but with the stablizer bar in place and b4 the 3" lift

4WD-CAs%20(Small).jpg

SteeevO, I had the exact same problem and I tried a couple thing to remedy it to no avail. I tried lengthining the sway bar bolts as well as shorting, an either it rubbed or put the bushings on the bolts at crazy angles. I just took the bar off, and really haven't noticed too much of a difference. Now that I have a body lift on as well, there is some body roll, but not enough to make me worried.

diving on the freeway w/o the bar is suicide.. this car is my daily driver so.. basically.. i need that batr there.. maybe i'll but the back one back in to stablize it a little more... i hope someone can come up with a solution.. i'm going to call calmini tomorrowto see what they say. but please everyone chime in with your ideas.

i am also starting to wonder if the stock steering did the same thing.. the calmini stuff looks at the same angle and all....

Edited by SteeevO

diving on the freeway w/o the bar is suicide.. this car is my daily driver so.. basically..

If that's the case then alot of people on this board, as well as others, should be dead. For most people their Pathies are daily drivers.

Adjust you driving style to suit the little bit of extra boby roll you might get. Do not swerve heavily when you change lanes on the freeway. Do it how the law says you must; ease into the next lane. It is not a racing car after all.

Given how far you have your TB's cranked, I am supprised you even noticed to sway bar missing.

The last pic shows the problem, the end links are too long. The collar (spacer) on mine were about 1 1/2", those in that pic look like almost 3".

I removed both front and rears, I like the gentle roll on corners better than the snap back afterward with the sways. :shrug:

diving on the freeway w/o the bar is suicide.. this car is my daily driver so.. basically.. i need that batr there.. maybe i'll but the back one back in to stablize it a little more... i hope someone can come up with a solution.. i'm going to call calmini tomorrowto see what they say. but please everyone chime in with your ideas.

i am also starting to wonder if the stock steering did the same thing.. the calmini stuff looks at the same angle and all....

#1, it's not a car. It's a truck. Drive it as such. It weighs just over four thousand pounds. No car since the 70's has weighed that much. Is it any wonder it sways when you have no swaybars? ;)

#2, Calmini's not known for their problem-free designs. You oughta see how many people with XTerras and Frontiers are having terrible problems with their steering kits. The idler arm bushings wear out and then Calmini makes everybody buy new ones, only to have them get sloppy again...

#1, it's not a car. It's a truck. Drive it as such. It weighs just over four thousand pounds. No car since the 70's has weighed that much. Is it any wonder it sways when you have no swaybars? ;)

#2, Calmini's not known for their problem-free designs. You oughta see how many people with XTerras and Frontiers are having terrible problems with their steering kits. The idler arm bushings wear out and then Calmini makes everybody buy new ones, only to have them get sloppy again...

You need a truck licence to drive a truck. If it is driven with a car licence it can't be a truck. I have a truck licence so know the difference between a truck and a car. Besides that, my car is regestered as a wagon, no mention of it being a truck and no sign of the excess in rego fees that are associated with owning a truck anywhere to be seen.

Having said that, it was flouted awhile back, and still comes up from time to time, that drivers of 4wds should have a special licence to drive on the road. As to why, I don't know. I think it was supposed to stop people backing over small kids. That was kicked in the arse when it was prooved that normal sedans are just as hard to see out of the rear. Some were in fact harder to see out of.

At least you agree that it isn't a racing car and should not be driven like one.

I am quite certain that there are many cars that are heavier than 4000lbs... Audi A6s for example... But to really make you wonder, the car on this picture is heavier than a 4x4 WD21 Pathfinder. :crazy:

Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder

spyder9jo.jpg

PS.. My friend has one so I got to drive it with the top down and everything... BADASS!

i called calmini thismorning. they have not heard of this problem but they said to put the sway bar back on and e-mail them pics.. when i take those pics i'll post them here also.

Read this:

Calmini Steering on Project Pathfinder

We had to shorten our sway bar end links a little to clear the relocated tie rods to prevent contact when bottoming out the suspension. This was really no big deal. We also welded the bracket of our Rancho steering stabilizer to the centerlink because it was so fat the original clamps would not fit anymore. We tig welded this part and it was quite simple. Be sure and grease the idler arm and tie rod ends with a extreme pressure molly grease before driving. After the installation we took Project Pathfinder to Westend Alignment to have them work their magic on the suspension.

thanks!! i'll have to do that but that does not look like the stock sway bar.. who makes a aftermarket one? the one in the picture looks like it is shaped slightly different.

idler_arrm_compressed_tn.jpg

pitman_arm_compressed_tn.jpg

never mind i just found it's nismo one... looks like i'm ordering it today... however it confusing...

nismo swaybar

what is it that i need from the original??

i'm lost

Edited by SteeevO

ha oops i'll fix that ... i guess it will limit offroad performance.. i'll just have to take it off when i'm getting ready for a big weekend...

but really whats the difference between having a solid axle and having a stiff swaybar in terms if being able to flex??

Okay guys here's how it works....

A solid axle is attached to the frame with arms, and in our case, a panhard rod.......basically none of these parts truly reduce flex. They're all parts just to keep the axle under your truck......1 end to the frame, the other to the axle.

Sway bars are linked in a 2 places on the axle, and 1 place on either side of the frame. 1 single bar, linked in 4 places. These links allow a small amount of play in the bar, for suspension travel, but due to being attached to the frame on either end, and the axle in the middle.......they don't allow the type of flex that is desireable off road.