long travel shocks

lowrider

Ok, so i've spent the last two hours ignoring my girlfriend and trying to figure out what shocks to get that will allow for more travel while still bolting up properly and without spending an arm and a leg. I have 2"-3" of poormans lift (tbars and ford coils). I had a parts truck a while ago that had RS5000's on it. I compared them to the stock shocks and struts and they had exactly the same travel, and the same uncompressed and compressed dimensions. The recommended 9000X rancho's for the pathfinder have LESS travel than stockers/5000's

I stole a bunch of info off rancho's site and came up with this:

Stock pathy rear shocks:

14" Compressed

22.250" Uncompressed

8.250" Total Travel

Stock 93-98 Toyota T100 4WD Rear shocks

14.875" Compressed

24" Uncompressed

9.125" Total travel

Not bad, almost an extra inch of travel

Stock 72-93 Dodge D100, D150 2wd 1/2 Ton pickup rears

15" Compressed

23.750" Uncompressed

8.750" Total Travel

An extra 1/2" of Travel

Stock 87-91 V3500 Chevy 1 ton 4wd pickup rears:

16" Compressed

26.250" Uncompressed

10.250" Total Travel

2"! will they fit?

1961-1971 Dodge 2wd 1 ton Fronts are:

15.375" Compressed

24.250" Uncompressed

8.875" Total Travel

As far as the fronts (this is proving more difficult to find something longer travel)

Stock:

9.7000" Compressed

14.990" Uncompressed

5.290" Total Travel

I can't find something with the same mounting and longer travel.

Any help would be appriciated!!! and yes i did a search first, and came up with nothing.

What I'm thinking is if you get a shock with the most travel extended but as close to 16" compressed as possible , it should work the best as long as it bolts up. The only thing you might want to keep an eye on is the bump stops.....a shock that compresses too much will hit the bump stops so you may want to make them longer a bit to compensate. As a general rule of thumb, the shocks will only be extending great distances in a "crawling" scenerio.

What I think you are looking for is a 16" compressed. The only thing that should make a difference in compressed length is if you have a suspension lift, then add your lift to the compressed length and go up from there. Ex 2" of suspension lift and the Chevy's should work (16" compressed) since you've added 2" to the stock compressed Pathy shocks (14" compressed). You want to avoid a shock hitting its extremes either way but compressed is less desirable because it's usually at higher speeds.....if your xtending your shocks fully at high speeds, you got bigger problems :D

Am I out to lunch here anyone?

Edited by deej

I have heard good things about the selection in the Pro Comp line and price seems reasonable.......also the Rancho Shocks aren't a long travel shock, they just change the ride.

As far as the fronts (this is proving more difficult to find something longer travel)

Stock:

9.7000" Compressed

14.990" Uncompressed

5.290" Total Travel

I can't find something with the same mounting and longer travel.

Any help would be appriciated!!! and yes i did a search first, and came up with nothing.

It seems to me that by lifting the front end on our trucks, you do nothing to increase total travel.....So, it seems that a stock length shock would work fine in the front. Also, it might help (very slightly) to keep from overflexing, and possibly blowing up a CV.....

Maybe I'm way off, but that's how I see it.....someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems to me that by lifting the front end on our trucks, you do nothing to increase total travel.....So, it seems that a stock length shock would work fine in the front. Also, it might help (very slightly) to keep from overflexing, and possibly blowing up a CV.....

Maybe I'm way off, but that's how I see it.....someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would love to correct you Simon but unfortunately you are correct. :D

For ever inch you crank up the TB's you lose an inch in downward travel. The stock shocks travel the whole (nothing to brag about) spectrum of the suspension plane.

i got a 3" sl, and everyone that i talked to about it, recomended stock length in the front, then 16" compressed, 26" extended in the back.

i got those in the ProComp e3000 flavor, and am running them right now, and get some pretty nice flex in the back, even with my rear sway bar still on

i got those in the ProComp e3000 flavor, and am running them right now, and get some pretty nice flex in the back, even with my rear sway bar still on

Never heard anyone say that before.

It has been so long.... Can someone remind me what a sway bar is and does?

sway bars are added in the lower rear for many RWD vehicles for stability during cornering. they also come in the lower front, upper front and upper rear.

how a sway bar works

I would have just said:

Sway Bar: a bar that restricts flex, but not in Spolar93's application :D

Yep, the front shocks should stay the same as stock, but the rears you can go up to at least 26.5" extended, 16.5" compressed. That's what I have in the garage for long-travel rears. They're nitrogen-charged rear shocks from a Chevy 2500 4x4. I switched to the RS9000's for the adjustability feature.

I would think the rear shocks from a 1 ton full size truck would be waaayyyyyy overdamped for our little light pathy's, wouldn't they? Kind of like no compliance at all and a buckboard ride?

• 2 weeks later...