Idler arm qustions

ticker

Iv'e been having problems in my front end ie. getting a shaky wheel on the highway. I was pretty sure that is the bushings so the other day i started poking around and noticed the bushing between my idler arm and the pitman arm is shot on the drivers side. Can this be replaced or do you have to replace the whole assembly? I also noticed that the idler arms are different. can anyone tell me which is stock to a 95?

post-9-1137636044.jpg

Edited by ticker

picture 1 is idler arm, picture 2 is pitman arm.. the center link is what's busted in picture 2. this is a pretty common weak link on pathy's steering.. causes wobble and feathering of the tires.... look around the forums and you'll find much discussion on this subject. even a recent thread.. must as well beef it up if you ever think of wheeling your rig.

i was about to say what mz said

the joint on the centre link

if you gonna fix that, make a brace for the ider arm at the same time, lots of us have done it. 88 got pics around somewhere of his.

OK- I went back and looked today and it is definitely the centerlink that is worn out. So thanks for the tip I'll have to look into fixing that, Ive changed out the tie rods on my bimmer before so i'm sure i can do this.

But when i looked again it still seems like there are two different idler arms on my truck. It is my understanding that the idler arm is bolted to the frame, no? And then the pitman arm is generally attached below that. I'm only seeing what I think is the idler arm attached directly to the center link. I put the pics side by side so maybe it is easier to understand what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to be argumentative I just want to understand my pathy better, Ive' never messed with the steering components before.

thanks ticker

post-9-1137719966.jpg

left picture is of the PITMAN ARM!!! otherwise you have them labeled correctly. as you noted in your first post, they are different. two different parts, performing two different functions. related but different. the CL is one piece/part attached at four different places..

Which part of the centerlink fails, exactly? :confused:

I know I have a probem concerning the centerlink (feathered tires, wobble, etc), and I am planning on ordering L&P's centerlnk, but I don't know where to look to see if my core is serviceable or not :shrug:

Thanks

Z

Edited by Z_Pilot

Which part of the centerlink fails, exactly?  :confused:

I know I have a probem concerning the centerlink (feathered tires, wobble, etc), and I am planning on ordering L&P's centerlnk, but I don't know where to look to see if my core is serviceable or not  :shrug:

Thanks

Z

it's not servicable. L&P guys modify it. bushings in this case = the BJ looking thingys. :D

:X doh-recieves slap to back of head. I apologize for being so thick about the pitman/idler thing. In a schematic I had seen of another car the idler and the pitman seemed to be attached having a set on each side. I just ran up the stairs hoping to get to this post to attempt to edit away my stupidity, anyway after consulting my haynes manual I see the error of my ways. I know I should have done that earlier so my bad it won't happen again.

thanks again for the info

ticker WAVEY

OK-One more question. Because of a strange noise coming from my engine I don't want to put alot of money into the pathy until I can get it diagnosed. I've posted about it here,http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...t=0entry76948 and taken it to several shops but have never recieved a satisfactory answer. That being said, can i just replace the centerlink bushings as a temporary solution? I would love to upgrade especally if it is work I can do myself but Ill have to wait until I'm sure the pathy is going to be around for a while. If so where can you buy the bushings? I checed out AC last night and didn't see any.

Rock On

ticker B)

Edited by ticker

• 4 weeks later...

ummm yea-I had a thought this weekend. How dangereous is the worn centerlink? Money is tight right now and I was going to wait a bit and save up for the calamini. I was driving this past weekend and had this image of the pathy suddenly veering into oncoming traffic. (note to self-stop reading the newspaper) anyway aside from a little shake in the steering wheel i haven't noticed it causing any other problems :huh:

A worn ceterlink isn't a good thing, but it won't send you swerving into traffic. Really, the longer you run with it that way, the more wear you are imparting on other parts, but it isn't like a time bomb or anything. I bought a car once that the CL was totally shot, Tie Rods were shot also, but it drove just fine aside from a little play in the wheel.

You will notice worn steering components even more in 4wd and they will fail very quickly without much effort at all if you are off road.

What GG said is correct. The longer you leave it, the quicker the other steering components will go. This is where I move from GG's thinking..... It can be a timebomb! especially if you take your Pathy off road on occasion. The tie rods and idler arm bushes are next to follow and once they go, you will run the risk of the car going places you don't want to. It will be fine on a smooth straight section of road untill an undulation or a bend. It can be scarey stuff as a few here on this board can attest to, including myself.

It can be a timebomb! especially if you take your Pathy off road on occasion.

:nono: I wasn't saying it's cool to run offroad, just that normal road driving won't cause too many issues as it is now. Timebomb refferance was meaning that the steering won't just fall to pieces all of a sudden.

:nono: I wasn't saying it's cool to run offroad, just that normal road driving won't cause too many issues as it is now. Timebomb refferance was meaning that the steering won't just fall to pieces all of a sudden.

Put that way, fair enough. I agree, if he is to maintain the status quo he shouldn't have much of a problem. No going off road or using 4wd until it is fixed.

Thanks for the quick response. It a relief to know I'm not in any immediate danger. Unfortunately, I have no plans to go wheelin' anytime soon.

I hear you about it being scary sometimes, I nearly pooped myself the other day coming around a bend a little quickly and kind of felt the steering shift a bit. It was one of those poorly designed ones that as the road bends right it banks down(opposite of a race track) kinda throwing you towards the wall. The collection of broken trim parts and rubber/paint along the wall is indicative of how bad it is. The saddest part is they just built about a year ago. wohoo go tax dollars!

Anyway I'll just have to deal with it for now, it's at the top of the fix it list so hopefully I won't do too much damage to the rest of the steering components in the mean time.

thanks again

ticker :cool2:

not sure how things are going for you ticker, but while i was out taking pics of the second battery setup i thought i would take some pics of the idler arm brace i talked about.

just so people can get an idea of what im talking about and what they can put on their truck to help the steering issues we face.

post-9-1140506415.jpg

Edited by sw