cb installation

chapter

yup...

all depends where you want to put it...

here's mine:

pezcb.jpg

It's a uniden 520 pro - A nice little (as in small) unit... works well, good range and has a PA. B)

A CB radio is useful for communicating with others who have CB radios, does not require a permit, has a higher range than FRS radio, and is free. Hard-mounting a CB in the vehicle, rather than using a hand-held (aka "walkie-talkie") usually results in better reception and transmission.

CB can also be used in situations where cell-phone service is unavailable. It is also quite common among truckers as well, and you can sometimes communicate with them to inquire about road conditions. It can also be quite entertaining to listen to their babbling while traveling.

Here's my CB:

cobracb_close.jpg

pardon me for asking but ime just wondering; why would you put a cb radio on youre rig? :shrug:

In addition to what XPLORx4 said, a CB is just about a must if you off road with a group of trucks. You need to be in communication with *all* drivers. For safety and for spotting purposes. Even with small groups of 4-6 trucks, alot of time is wasted if even one person doesn't have communication. Trucks get spread out over the trail so line of sight cant' be always counted on. The rule is to always wait for the one behind you, but that doesn't always happen. It's nice to be able to check in with others to make sure things are ok. Front of the pack needs to be in touch with those in the rear and vice versa. Comes in handy when needing extra snatch straps, another winch truck, first aid, etc.

As XPLORx4 & Mookie mentioned it's great to have in the truck.

I didnt really want one at first - and got a handheld one... it was soon after when the crappy reception lead me to buy a proper unit for the pathy. I have kept the handheld, as we use it on the trail when out of the truck, or lend it to the new guy with no CB on runs...

I installed mine before I was even offroading -- mainly for trips with SOXC, as everyone chatters on the CB, and it helps the time go by. Also - like the others mentioned, on & off road it's good to have communication throughout the group. It's nice to have even when I'm on my own, as when traffic gets bad, often the truckers ahead will let you know which lanes to get in, or to get off the highway if it's really backed up.

Also, it's a great ego booster - LOL, I've gotten a few compliments about the truck on the highway. (Yesterday even!) B)

Buford T. Justice: Where are you, you sombitch?

Bandit: Before I tell you where I am, Sheriff, there's just one thing I wanna say. You must be part coon dog, 'cause I've been chased by the best of them, and son, you make 'em look like they're all runnin' in slow motion. I just wanna say that.

Buford T. Justice: Well, thank you, Mr. Bandit. And as the pursuer, may I say you're the goddamnedest pursuee I've ever pursued. Now that the mutual bull@!*% is over, WHERE ARE YOU, YOU SOMBITCH?

Also LOL at the 2WD Pathy owner questioning a CB and calling his truck a "rig" sssh

Pezzy - I real like where you put your CB. Did you have to do any cutting behind the dash to make it fit? In my 01 PF I have to cut away at the inner dash and I really don't want to do that. I'm thinking of installing a new CD player and then installing my CB in the free space below that.

Pezzy - I real like where you put your CB.  Did you have to do any cutting behind the dash to make it fit?  In my 01 PF I have to cut away at the inner dash and I really don't want to do that.  I'm thinking of installing a new CD player and then installing my CB in the free space below that.

My CB is where the block of four blanks switches were. We had pull out the blanks and then cut out the little dividers between the blanks... was really easy.The CB was the perfect size to wedge in there... I also have an external speaker which was originally hidden in the foot well, and now on the dash -- as the unit speaker is now kinda lost in the dash... it does work, but it's quiet.

Didnt have to move or cut anything behind the dash.

For those of you that have already installed cb radios...

Do you need to install another antenna for the cb radio? i know that my uncles put these HUGE antennas on their rides, as well as amps. looks sweet on an old bronco II or old f150, but i think it'd look out of place anywhere on my r50. can the radio work reasonably well w/o an antenna? I'd like to use it while driving up to tahoe and friends/fam following...so the farthest we are from each other is usually 5-10 cars distance at most. sorry for the simple questions, but i don't know the range for these bad boys.

Tiago...no i don't have the double din bose anymore...i replaced it with a single din pioneer, so i'll most likely stick the cb radio underneath. but most likely, i'll do what trainman did as i don't want to have a mic cable hanging in the way of everything...especially since i'll only be using the cb radio occasionally. i also like pezzy's...but with my luck, i wont' find a small enough cb radio, plus i have used those switches.

Edited by QuismO

Alot of the handheld ones come with a detachable antenna (which is what I have and would work for your 5-10 car lengths), if you get a good quality tuned magnetic mount antenna you can attach it to the handheld as an external antenna for further distances. I have never had any problems communicating with mine, just an idea.

I was going to use a fiberglass antenna and just buy an attachment so I can fold it down on my thule rack when I'm not using it. I figure it won't look out of place with the bike rack, lights and everything that is and will be up on top. ;)

You will need an antenna for the CB, but you dont have to have a big crazy one... mine 4' Magnet mounted (K-40) on my roof, and you dont really notice it.

quismo I think a uniden cb radio(it's as small as what peezy have) will work fine on your Q.and you could just buy a magnetic mount antenna( it's detachable)..

I have a question regarding the use of cb radio's here.ime just wondering do you guys need to use 10 codes while talking to others?

I have a question regarding the use of cb radio's here.ime just wondering do you guys need to use 10 codes while talking to others?

I "Roger" that, it's a "big 10-4" "copy that". I never use them myself, if someone else wants to they can, but it's not a must.

Most of the time I just say "Hi-deej here" WAVEY

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guinness
Not a CB but same idea:

116_1664_1.jpg

If this type of mount is what you are looking for, I can get better pictures of how I did it.

Hey Trainman.. What are you using for a mount? I'm looking to install my Yaesu FT-90 or Kenwood TM-D700A APRS rig.

Guinness

Guest Guinness
A CB radio is useful for communicating with others who have CB radios, does not require a permit, has a higher range than FRS radio, and is free. Hard-mounting a CB in the vehicle, rather than using a hand-held (aka "walkie-talkie") usually results in better reception and transmission.

CB can also be used in situations where cell-phone service is unavailable. It is also quite common among truckers as well, and you can sometimes communicate with them to inquire about road conditions. It can also be quite entertaining to listen to their babbling while traveling.

Here's my CB:

cobracb_close.jpg

What antenna are you using? I might be installing the same CB in my 2001 Pathfinder.

Guinness

I put my cb in the cubby hole underneath the radio, behind the shifter. I haven't mounted it secure but it stays put in there and doesn't move so thats how its been ever since. :lol:

But here's a pic of the way I mounted my firestik II antenna.

post-7-1138430322.jpg

Edited by DJ Dank