problem with alternator

Guest MHC

Hello, I have a problem with the mud or with the water, when putting me by a time, one falls in love two light, that indicates problem to me with the current alternator and if dry it the motor does not pledge more, I remain without bateria. exists a form so that this happens less?

It already changes to the coals and censors of the alternator...

Terrano 1995 V6.

Thank all.

OK, my english is not very good... My problem is with the alternator electric. When I enter rio or the mud, turn on two lights. These lights, do not off until clean the sector. Exists a form to protect the current alternator?

Ahhh.. yes. Alternator on the V6 engines is in terrible spot. If you don't care for your AC or the AC is already broken, you can mount an alternator in place of the compressor. My friend did it and it saved him a lot of trouble.

I for example LOVE my AC so I don't want to remove it. I simply carry a spare alternator, and another set of bearings with me (they are very cheap). I have added another electrical plug on the alternator cable to make the swap easy on trails. That way I can remove the alternator from the vehicle and then fight with the big grey plug that is so very hard to remove from the housing.

There is nothing much you can do. Some people spray their alternators with with fluids like WD40 but I think it only makes it worse. I go through far less alternators than people who soak them in that stuff.

I just got very good at replacing alternators on trails. It takes me maybe 20-30 minutes to do the job from start to finish. Also rebuilding the alternators is easy, so replacing the bearings and cleaning the brushes can be done on trails.

Hmmm... I'm glad to see we're willing to help even with the language difficulties. My philosophy: If they care enough to try to ask, I will care enough to try to understand.

As I read it, the problem is water or mud getting into the alternator and causing two indicator lights to come on?

Anybody know what lights those would be, and what causes those to come on? I would assume one is the battery light, and probably lights up because the alternator is shorting internally and ceases output so voltage goes down which triggers low charging light (the battery indicator on the dash). What would the other be?

And to get the lights to go out requires "cleaning the sector". Any guesses on what he's trying to say? Clean a connector, or wash out the entire alternator, or disconnect something else to reset something?

Safely shielding the alternator from water would be difficult as it needs a lot of air to keep it cool. Energy conversion results in a lot of heat generation so it cannot be enclosed much.

That's why they epoxy the windings so heavily, eh?

I'd say either his alternator has internal problems, the belt's slipping when it gets wet (??) or his wiring connector has some sort of problem that causes it to not properly conduct a current through it when it gets wet.

Relocating the alternator may be your best bet in this case. When you have to have the repeated dunkings it would very much pay off to have the alternator mounted higher up.

Relocating the alternator may be your best bet in this case. When you have to have the repeated dunkings it would very much pay off to have the alternator mounted higher up.

Sorry to postjack, but, has anyone done this? My AC is shot, and has been for 2 years, so I'm used to no AC. I would like to relocate my Alternator to that spot. If someone else has a write up, or at least, some pics of how it was done, that would help alot.

I use a Piss Can to flush out my Alternator after going through muddy water. Just a few pumps and spraying it with clean water shuts off my alt/battery lights. Sometimes I can go all day without having to clean it, other times the first mud hole I go through, I have to rinse it out.

Sorry to postjack, but, has anyone done this? My AC is shot, and has been for 2 years, so I'm used to no AC. I would like to relocate my Alternator to that spot. If someone else has a write up, or at least, some pics of how it was done, that would help alot.

i second that! :takebow:

Hmmm... I'm glad to see we're willing to help even with the language difficulties. My philosophy: If they care enough to try to ask, I will care enough to try to understand.

As I read it, the problem is water or mud getting into the alternator and causing two indicator lights to come on?

Anybody know what lights those would be, and what causes those to come on? I would assume one is the battery light, and probably lights up because the alternator is shorting internally and ceases output so voltage goes down which triggers low charging light (the battery indicator on the dash). What would the other be?

And to get the lights to go out requires "cleaning the sector". Any guesses on what he's trying to say? Clean a connector, or wash out the entire alternator, or disconnect something else to reset something?

Safely shielding the alternator from water would be difficult as it needs a lot of air to keep it cool. Energy conversion results in a lot of heat generation so it cannot be enclosed much.

from what i get out of it he is saying he has 2 error lights when he goes through a river or deep mud, and they wont go off till he cleans off that area...or as he referred to "the sector"

sector being "an area"

as far as your prob sir, id get the alternator either replaced or opened up and cleaned/rebuilt to make sure everything is in OK condition. then id either remount...or try to stay out of the mud for a while.

or try to stay out of the mud for a while.

What? Avoid MUD? What kind of advice is that? Are you one of those guys who proctice abstinence as your approach to avoiding STD's???

Surely there has to be a better way.... :D

I haven't had this problem (yet), but I'm listening for the future.

Mookie - What is a "Piss Can"? This solution sounds quite easy...

abstinence

What's that ?? Is it factory or aftermarket ? :unsure:

Yes, I agree... check wires/connectors and maybe try sealing connectors with RTV (silicone) after that, if it faults out constantly, either have it cleaned/rebuilt/replaced or try having a system to flush it out when on the trail.

mws, I have not heard of a piss can before, but I suspect it is merely a container you pressurize by pumping up with a spiggot or gun at the end of a hose... You know what I mean...

B

I am sorry but the pictures are no longer available. However it's VERY easy to mount the alternator in place of the AC compressor. Basically you can get a proper diameter bolt that goes through the mounts and use either washers or nuts to space the offset properly. Then you just fab up an tension adjuster and get a longer belt. Dang.. it's hard to describe but it's really really easy. I remember we fabbed it all up pretty much totally @!*%faced in one night.

I am sorry but the pictures are no longer available. However it's VERY easy to mount the alternator in place of the AC compressor. Basically you can get a proper diameter bolt that goes through the mounts and use either washers or nuts to space the offset properly. Then you just fab up an tension adjuster and get a longer belt. Dang.. it's hard to describe but it's really really easy. I remember we fabbed it all up pretty much totally @!*%faced in one night.

I was thinking about this a bit on the weekend.....If there's no modification needed to the alternator, it seems to me that it could be done by "spacing" the alternator properly, then using the adjuster pulley for belt tension as it's normally done with the AC compressor. Basically, just make the alternator sit stationary.

Any thoughts?

Yep... The only thing is that you need to keep something in place of the alternator, like some kind of a pulley or a blank alternator with the coils taken out, because the same belt drives the water pump. Unless you wanna keep the second one and use it as an on board welder. :lol:

Edited by Filthy Luker

Hadn't thought of that, Filthy.......I'll have to check out what I can put there as an idler......maybe my AC compressor, since it does nothing anyways..... :shrug: