need advice on my larm system

tiagoqx4

I need youre advice regarding my alarm system on my 2001 QX4.A friend of mine told me that if I add a aftermarket alarm on my Q it will just screw up my (nissan anti-theft system"N.A.T.S")installed deep inside my truck. Is this true? Had anybody tried putting an aftermarket alarm on their Pathy or Q? :shrug: is the new alarm work fine?

The factory alarm is perfectly fine!! It has door sensors, hood pin, trunk pin, and electronically connected so that pressing buttons or unlocking doors will set it off.

Also, the electronic key prevents anybody from simply using a copy made from VIN #.

At most, I would add a backup battery so that disconnecting the vehicles battery won't kill the alarm.

A fuel pump kill switch is very easy to install with about $5 worth of parts, and is a very good theft prevention even if the thieves manage to get past the QX4 ignition.

Even with the best theft prevention techniques, you can't stop them from pulling your QX4 onto a flatbed, but that doesn't happen to pathfinders often. THats something to worry about if you drive a turbo rice rocket or a pimped out luxury car.....

A similar idea to the remote kill switch is to just pull a critical fuse from the fuse panel. Thieves won't have time to hunt for the missing fuse if they try to crank her and she doesn't start.

Also use visual deterrents, like a steering wheel lock (The Club). You are trying to make your truck harder to steal than the next one so more visibility is key.

On my 02, I have had the alarm go off if I opened the windows with the key fob, then reached in and opened the door from the inside (usually late when I do not have the key with me and the doors are locked). I do this when the truck is in the garage in the summer and I have forgotten to put down the windows when I parked.

will the alarm go off of if somebody break the glass?or it will just set off only if the door are opened?

@filthy luker my error its suppose to be alarm.ooops :type:

The Factory Alarm will not go off if someone breaks your window but when they open the door after they do is when it will go off.

I put an alarm in mine and it still keeps the factory needing the key in the ignition to drive away.

It has the sensors for the windows and such I put that in because I wanted command start. Being where I live it's pretty cold usually this is the first warm winter as it hit only -25 and only for a week or so but the steady temp has been around -10 which is super warm for our winter.

:beer:

WAVEY I do not recomend adding a alarm. when i bought my truck it had an aftermarket alarm on it with keyless entry and all the goodies. It did nothing but malfunction. it would arm itself then when i would openthe door it would go off i would hit the button to disarm and it worked then when i put the key in the ignition the nissan alarm would go off. So i just would not arm the aftermarket but one out of five times it would arm itself automatically and the problem went on and on until one day i opened the door and both alarms went off. and i could not disarm either one so i pulled the battery cable since it was so loud and at 10:00 at night. bad mistake aftermarket alarm tripped starter kill nissan alarm did the same thing big shortout. had to have the truck towed and computer reset and aftermarket alarm removed. total 130 dollars not well spent. F*(* aftermarket alarms.

WAVEY I do not recomend adding a alarm. when i bought my truck it had an aftermarket alarm on it with keyless entry and all the goodies. It did nothing but malfunction. it would arm itself then when i would openthe door it would go off i would hit the button to disarm and it worked then when i put the key in the ignition the nissan alarm would go off. So i just would not arm the aftermarket but one out of five times it would arm itself automatically and the problem went on and on until one day i opened the door and both alarms went off. and i could not disarm either one so i pulled the battery cable since it was so loud and at 10:00 at night. bad mistake aftermarket alarm tripped starter kill nissan alarm did the same thing big shortout. had to have the truck towed and computer reset and aftermarket alarm removed. total 130 dollars not well spent. F*(* aftermarket alarms.

This type of problem that you had was installer error. I have 2 aftermarket remote starter/alarm. The first is the wifes remote starter which had to go back as they screwed up.

Second was my remote starter and alarm on my X now the first guy that put it in didn't have a clue so I went over to the other Best buy. The guy said Nissan was the hardest and that they should never put a mediocre guy to do the install. So he fixed it up took him awhile about 6-8hrs as he had to rip all the other guys stuff out and start over. The reason- the guy hooked it upto the battery which is a huge NO No as it's not a domestic or Honda. Nissans have to be done properly or they won't work at all or they will be finicky.

Just make sure you ask your installer if he has ever done 1 before and talk with him if he has your good to go. If he has not well don't let him mess with it. P...

total spent on my alarm starter was around $400 as a bought the 1 thet tells me if it's started. I do suggest this 1 by far.

This type of problem that you had was installer error. I have 2 aftermarket remote starter/alarm. The first is the wifes remote starter which had to go back as they screwed up.

Second was my remote starter and alarm on my X now the first guy that put it in didn't have a clue so I went over to the other Best buy. The guy said Nissan was the hardest and that they should never put a mediocre guy to do the install. So he fixed it up took him awhile about 6-8hrs as he had to rip all the other guys stuff out and start over. The reason- the guy hooked it upto the battery which is a huge NO No as it's not a domestic or Honda. Nissans have to be done properly or they won't work at all or they will be finicky.

Just make sure you ask your installer if he has ever done 1 before and talk with him if he has your good to go. If he has not well don't let him mess with it. P...

total spent on my alarm starter was around $400 as a bought the 1 thet tells me if it's started. I do suggest this 1 by far.

:blink: yeah you are right i do not know who installed the alarm. when i bought my pathy i was excited because it was a expensive alarm with alot of bells and whistles. but it just ended up being a headache. oh well next time i will have it done right.

ime thinking of buying a aftermarket alarm because ive learned that it won't go off when you break the glass. Ime thinking of changing my head unit( stereo) and put a navigational system.

Hmmm, Ok I can see a nav and head unit but if they break the glass and they are after something, they will have to open the door anyway and set the alarm off. I thought there was glass protection in the Nissan alarm, doesn't it show something in the manual? I don't know for sure cuz I haven't broke the glass to find out :blink:

Newp, the nissan alarm doesn't have the glass protection. Most OEM alarns don't have glass protection. The OEM alarm is more supposed to prevent having the whole car jacked. It doesn't really help against people smashing the glass and stealing valuables that are carelessly left inside or visible "bling".

But even with aftermarket alarms you have to be careful. My friend had an aftermarket alarm with a hood sensor and window sensors. They saw golf clubs in his hatch so they pried open the hood first. Alarm went off for 5 seconds before they disconnected the battery. Then they broke the door/window to get in and jack his stereo and clubs. So even with aftermarket alarms, if they wanna get in, they will get in. Some people install a second hidden battery for the alarm, but by the time the thieves figure the alarm won't go off, your hood will be messed up already. The only real thing you can do is to avoid "bling" that makes it obvious you have stuff worth stealing.

Newp, the nissan alarm doesn't have the glass protection. Most OEM alarns don't have glass protection. The OEM alarm is more supposed to prevent having the whole car jacked. It doesn't really help against people smashing the glass and stealing valuables that are carelessly left inside or visible "bling".

But even with aftermarket alarms you have to be careful. My friend had an aftermarket alarm with a hood sensor and window sensors. They saw golf clubs in his hatch so they pried open the hood first. Alarm went off for 5 seconds before they disconnected the battery. Then they broke the door/window to get in and jack his stereo and clubs. So even with aftermarket alarms, if they wanna get in, they will get in. Some people install a second hidden battery for the alarm, but by the time the thieves figure the alarm won't go off, your hood will be messed up already. The only real thing you can do is to avoid "bling" that makes it obvious you have stuff worth stealing.

you have a point there. so as much as possible dont leave anything that will invite them to mess up youre car.

maybe ile just buy a detachable gps system.

tnx for the input. :takebow::clap:

Thanks for the info, I'm still cool with my factory......tinted windows help with the "visual valuables" concern. sssh

maybe ile just buy a detachable gps system.

Then you'll have to check out the "Product Reviews" Section ;):beer: