Broken outer CV joint

NZ Terrano Owner

Hi all, went out for a bit of a play over new year at a legendary track here on the west coast of the south island, NZ. Had a ball, unfortunately my outer CV joint didn't have such a good day and went ping on me at some stage. It was still driving, but was making a nasty noise.Didn't notice until halfway back out. Not good!!

My question is: How difficult is it to replace the CV, and is it possible to do yourself, or is it a job for the experts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Al

do-able if you have some idea on how to turn spanners.

raise car safely and remove wheel, remove auto/manual locking hub, remove c clip from shaft, remove outer tierod end, undo top and bottom ball joints, throw wheel hub assembly out the way, undo drive shaft from front diff, pull drive shaft out from car.

remove ripped boot, save time if the old cv wont come off and just cut it off with an angle grinder (being carfull of the drive shaft splines!!!), throw new cv on, grease, new boot. reassemble!!

well thats the cut down version anyway!!!

I did a write up on the procedure 2 years abo, its in the "How To" section, or just go here http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=255

I think it took us about 4 hours doing it the first time. Since then I've replaced both sides once. It now takes about an hour and 10 min. (includes getting the tools out)

Be sure to look for a spacer that *might* come off with the offending axle. You'll need it when you put the new one on.

You can usually find a "nused" CV on Ebay. If its an open auction...well I got one once for $25 to my door. The last one was more than that but it only had 42K one it : B)

do u really have to pull the spindles cuze i know when i was doing the auto hubs to manuals i accidently pushed my cv out the back...and if u disconnected the propeller and slid it down couldnt u just pull it back from the underside and then slide the new 1 in and then up...maybe it was a freak thing but i dont think it'd be too hard or time consuming as long as u have pulled parts of the front axle apart B4