Weird New Belts

KevinKernaghan

1995 WD21 2WD; 123k

After replacing the timing belt, I decided it was time to change the other belts, which were cracking. As long as I had the fan and fan shroud off, why not? Anyway, I went to O'Reilly's (not my favorite, but it's all I've got) and paid 55 bucks for three new belts.

These belts don't look the same, though... instead of being flat on the bottom and top, the bottom side is ribbed like the timing belt. Now I have several ideas as to what this is, and am seeking forum input:

Is this a new feature designed to lengthen belt life and reduce noise?

Is this a new feature designed to make the belt break earlier and more totally, promoting failure of other parts, thereby bringing customers back to O'Reilly's in some kind of "planned obsolescence" conspiracy?

Is the guy behind the computer at O'Reilly's a chimpanzee wearing a human mask, using a twig to hunt for insects inside the keyboard?

They appear to be the correct size and everything...I've just never seen any like this before in any belt replacement. But since I don't do them that often, I'm just assuming this is designed to allow the belt to flex around tighter-radius curves with less fatigue. Anyway, I'd be glad to hear if anyone else has made this swap without trouble. I guess I'm just leery of replacing anything on my truck that doesn't look like the part that used to go in its place.

kevin

Is the guy behind the computer at O'Reilly's a chimpanzee wearing a human mask, using a twig to hunt for insects inside the keyboard?

LMFAO !! His brother and cousin work behind a counter here !!

As MZ pointed out, cheaper to make and flex better, lasting longer in theory. Personally, I think they are less prone to slipping. Certainly don't be shy about putting them on.

B