Suspension advice.

kremmen

Hey all,

Just wondering if I can get some advice on suspension upgrade (currently stock). Was thinking of going with either Ironman

or Old Man Emu.

I was going to replace shocks, springs, torsion, and get a dampener.

Any thoughts on these two products, I would like to get 2-3 inch lift over stock.

Also, I am pretty new at this, I would like to increase front height and you can do this by adjusting front torsion bars? Anyone know hoe to do this? Also what does the front torsion bar look like :shrug:

Cheers

Edited by kremmen

Old Man Emu is really just a kit for people who want to keep everything stock except the ride height and don't like the look of a body lift. What's this Ironman business? I've never heard of them and couldn't find how much lift their kit provided. I'm actually interested in that company as I am on the lookout for good torsion bars and haven't made my choice yet.

I've heard that Calmini is your best bet for a 3" lift. Their kit includes everything and isn't missing components. For example, with 3 inches of lift in the front, you need upper control arms but Ironman doesn't make those. You could try to mix and match parts such as getting the Ironman kit and then adding Superlift UCA's.

steering stabilizer: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1255

messing with torsion bars: http://www.jimbennett.net/torsionadjustment.htm

and before everyone else says so, you should search about this since there's no less than 200 other threads dealing with the same exact subject =)

"Ironman coil springs lift vehicles around 40mm from new vehicle ride height."

other than that i couldn't find any specs, prices, or anything.

Edited by statikuz

1.57480315 inches? Doesn't anybody else find that kind of worthless? I have 1" rubber boosters on my stock springs and they cost me $8. Or $12 I can't remember. No it was $8 plus some tire shine which came out to $12.

is it really that much different from a 2" BL?

Sure it is. You'd be surprised at how many off-roaders refuse to outfit their truck with a body lift. Actually, now that I think about it, it's the truck/SUV owners that never take their vehicles off-road that don't like the body lifts... off-roaders will usually combine both.

haha it's actually the hardcore offroaders that dislike body lifts, you put much more than a 1-2" body lift on and then put your rig on some rocks, you're going to put some excessive and unnecessary force on your body mounts.

i know we all h4t3 on pirate, but: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread....light=body+lifT

haha it's actually the hardcore offroaders that dislike body lifts, you put much more than a 1-2" body lift on and then put your rig on some rocks, you're going to put some excessive and unnecessary force on your body mounts.

i know we all h4t3 on pirate, but: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread....light=body+lifT

good info there :aok:

There's a giant difference between a 2" BL and a 1.5" SL. The SL only alters the ride height at a standstill, when you go over bumps the tires still come just as close to the fenderwells as at stock height with this IFS system. With a 2" BL, it's always got 2" of tire clearance, no change in front due to wheel travel.

A solid 3" suspension lift cost me (without new UCA's or shocks, which I later purchased) the following:

SwayAway torsion bars: $200 or so plus shipping, like $240

Jeep Grand Cherokee junkyard front coils for the rear: $40

Then there are the worn out parts for not listening to people..

Upper ball joints, bought with lower bj's and all tie rod ends in a kit for $100 on eBay= PRICELESS

Rough Country (Superlift clones?) UCA's: $140 with bushings

Anyways, the point to this is that there are some options and a guy could piece it together with some patience. Its not cheap of course, but if you exercise some patience you can score some deals.

1.57480315 inches? Doesn't anybody else find that kind of worthless? I have 1" rubber boosters on my stock springs and they cost me $8. Or $12 I can't remember. No it was $8 plus some tire shine which came out to $12.

While it may seem worthless for people that just want lifted trucks, if you outfit a stock vehicle with a winch bumper and a winch the stock t-bars won't be up to the task and will sag. If you try to crank the stockers back up again the ride will be super stiff and crap. Hence small lift but higher spring rates on those t-bars.

It's not all about maximum lift for some. Sure it looks good but for example my truck is super low compared to many others yet I can go over stuff that many of the 3+3 rigs only dream about. It's all how well your suspension works. I set up my suspension to move UP and DOWN not just UP as most people have with maxed out t-bars riding on bumpstops. In fact it's pretty much ALL about downtravel.

I am finding that my mild suspension lift does cause some annoying rubbing with my 32"s but I am going to install a very small, 1" perhaps body lift to solve the issue. I like my truck with a nice low center of gravity so I am doing only what's absolutely necessary.

EDIT: I think that it should be said that if one's looking for a suspension lift for their Nissan truck they should factor in the cost of aftermarket steering system into their budget. Stock stuff just ain't cutting it with lifts or larger tires.

Edited by Filthy Luker

All sound advice, cheers. I think I will stick with the ironman gear, see how that goes with a bit of torsion lift as well ( still got me scoobied about the torsion lift though :blink: ) The rancho 5000's are dear in australia - $145 each. OME are about the same.

Thanks for the links, very handy. Maybe 1" body lift if necessary later down the track.

As you can tell I ma new to this, used to just charging in and if worse comes to worse, anchor and handwinch solves most problems!!!

Sure it is. You'd be surprised at how many off-roaders refuse to outfit their truck with a body lift. Actually, now that I think about it, it's the truck/SUV owners that never take their vehicles off-road that don't like the body lifts... off-roaders will usually combine both.

The BL might not look as good as a sus lift, but you need to get the body away from the tires or you'll eat sheetmetal whenever you flex.

Not that theres alot of sus flex to be done at the mall parking lot, if thats your thing.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. You even post up a link, to a forum no less, that did not support what you said.

Hard core 4wheelers prefer a BL above a suspension lift so they can get their 35 inch and above tyres on. It keeps the COG lower that a straight out SL.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. You even post up a link, to a forum no less, that did not support what you said.

of course it's a forum, where else are you going to get scientific advice on offroading? =) and while pirate guys are occasionally punks, they usually know what they're talking about. and it did support my point. ;)

"The biggest problem with a body lift is the stess it puts on the body mounts and the body lift itself. An inch or so is fine, but over that and it really starts multiplying the stress applied to the mounts."

"The biggest problem with a body lift is the stess it puts on the body mounts and the body lift itself. An inch or so is fine, but over that and it really starts multiplying the stress applied to the mounts."

Yes its true adding a body lift stresses your body mounts. But so does cranking your tbars stress your cv axles; your ball joints and your steering.

Sure a BL is the cheaper way out, but that doesn't make it wrong.

If you want a simple answer there isn't one!

I read that whole thread and alot of what is said is either personal opinion, or just wrong. I liked the guy who said the other dude musta broke his tcase shifter cause of the stress caused by the BL. :crazy: WTF is he talking about? sure a BL make the Tcase shifter a little harder to reach, but it doesn't add any stress to it!

that said I would recommend a SL before a BL, and as a rule of thumb dont have more BL than SL, thats going cheap!

Sweet,

all food for thought. I am gonna adjust/reindex torsion today, so see how i go. Just had to search the net for pictures so i knew what i was lookin at. Here is a good link for any other newbs that come along like myself in regards to torsion bars/lift etc. torsion stuff It is about the monterey (challenger in oz) but still has good piccies of torsions abars etc.

My last vehicle was a 2000 landrover defender, coils all round so I had to get myhead around torsion bars etc.

Also here are some diagrams of the terrano's suspension.

post-6-1136119993.gif

Edited by kremmen

GODDAMMM those nuts were on tight!! WD40'ed em, nothing. Hands are sorer than an abstinent monk's!!! and still couldn't getem off. Looks like bite the bullet and get em done with the new shockies n springs.

Here's the rear terrano set up.

post-6-1136120056.gif

Edited by kremmen