Tranny/Transfer case problems

RowOSU

Took the path into the shop to have a half shaft replaced, they being the good shop they are checked all my fluids. Well they found metal shavings in both the tranny and transfer case pans. They told me that the majority of the metal was from the transfer case and they found a used transfer case for 700. They could however not find a used (manual) transmission. Any ideas on what I should do? Thinking about having them just button it up and trading it in... Odd is the fact I just had the transfer case fluid changed about a month ago... Anyways any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you had the t-case fluid changed a month ago, and the shop found an amount of shavings worthy of mentioning, you should go back to the place that did the oil change and demand they fix it. They obviously miffed something up when they did it. Too little fluid, the wrong kind of fluid, could be a number of things. Hell, I've heard horror stories of Quick Lube places using ATF in Manual transmissions and transfer cases! That's what happened to my friends HB.

Before you go and do something drastic like trade in your super awesome truck - call the shop and ask to talk to the mechanic who worked on it, ask him to give you an estimate on how much metal shavings he found. A small amount is normal. I'd say your best course of action would be to change out the tranny and t-case oil and see what happens with them. It is very possible the place that did it (I'm assuming you got this done while you were back in Ohio since it was a month or so ago?) used the wrong type of fluid.

Oh, and get on AIM ya bum!

I could use some info also.

If not ATF in the transfer case, then what fluid should be used? The reason I ask is because, I :hide: took my Pathy to a quick-change place and they put ATF in the TC. :help:

Hell, I've heard horror stories of Quick Lube places using ATF in Manual transmissions and transfer cases! That's what happened to my friends HB.

I'm pretty sure the R50 calls for ATF in the t case.

but all gear driven cases call for gear oil usually

The R50 has the same TX10 T-Case as all other Nissan Trucks. However, it does call for DEXRON III ATF. If the quick lube place figured that it needed 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Oil, that would chew it right up.

not necessarily.. i changed from atf to gl in mine and thus far it's all good...

not necessarily.. i changed from atf to gl in mine and thus far it's all good...

did you come up with this notion all by yourself, or did you get bonafide advice that the tx10 will handle the gear lube

T-case is ATF Dexron III and Manual Tranny is 75-90w GL-4.

If the shop that changed the fluids put GL in T-case and anything other than GL-4 (ex GL-5) in the manual tranny, yes you will have problems....that being said, a little shavings are OK and there is NO PAN on T-case or Manual Tranny so I would ask the shop that checked the "pan" what they were checking :huh: Sounds like they want some labor $$$ from you :X

Edited by deej

shavings in the manual tranny is not uncommon.

have a magnetic drain plug installed so you can monitor how much shavings are actually showing up, and have the tranny overfilled with fluid. There is a TSB about low tranny oil levels in the garage section. heres a link.http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621&st=0

so i can put ATF in the transfer case? cause i just did a tranny swap and im still using my old tranny. i found a little bit of shavings but not that much. im guessing this was from when i tried to switch gear and it would grind. but i think i got it down now. the t-case worked before i took the trans out so it should still work. so ATF in T-case?

so i can put ATF in the transfer case? cause i just did a tranny swap and im still using my old tranny. i found a little bit of shavings but not that much. im guessing this was from when i tried to switch gear and it would grind. but i think i got it down now. the t-case worked before i took the trans out so it should still work. so ATF in T-case?

Yup, ATF DexronIII in t-case.

Update: It was ATF in the transfer case. So who knows what went wrong, something was definately wrong as there was this horrible driveline howl at highway speeds.... oh well just money.

Yea. well. I had to be back here by the 3rd for start of classes, came back for new years (Truck was not done) then blitzed home on friday picked up pathy and drove back saturday. Needless to say I am beat. combine that with 24 credits this time around and I want it to be summer. It's all done though, runs great (had some other things done while it was in harmonic balancer, idler pulley, etc)

did you come up with this notion all by yourself, or did you get bonafide advice that the tx10 will handle the gear lube

i am pretty sure 88's has gl in it.. i have no other place to put atf in and i don't feel like hauling another set of fluids..