Clutch Whirring noise

drennan_1

I have a 92 Pathfinder V6SE with a manual tranny. I hear a whirring noise when I push in the clutch pedal and I put the gear shift in reverse or 1st gear. It sounds like a belt is rubbing and it only makes the noise occasionally. The noise also doesn't change when I rev the engine. When I let out the clutch pedal, it goes away. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Yep, exactly... Plan on replacing the clutch, pressure plate, T/O bearing (maybe resurface the flywheel, replace the pilot bearing and at least check the rear main seal). Since the shifter is removed, now is a good time to replace the tranny fluid with 5 quarts (not 3.5 like the manual says). Thats about $250-$300 in parts and can be done in 2 days with a garage, the right tools, and experienced help. A shop will charge you something like $800-1300 depending.

B

Yup, that's what happened to mine right after I got it... mechanic said I could drive it, nothing would happen, but to get it fixed in the next week or so...

Drove it a couple more times, went to go to my buddies place, started it up and it wouldn't go into reverse... I could only shift when the truck was off... so instead of limping it to the shop, (shift into 1st, start, accelerate, shut off, second, start, accellerate, shut off, third, start, accellerate etc... hahaha) I had to get it towed 100km to get fixed... And it costed $1100...

To add more info: I have had the rig for about a year. I don't know if it has a new clutch since there is no records from previous owner. I took it in to the shop today and they only heard the noise once on the test drive and are not pushing tearing it apart. They quoted me $990 for parts and labor.

I guess I'll drive for a bit and see if it gets worse and make sure I have my AAA card handy for a tow. Just to clarify: a throwout bearing is $20 to 30 but labor is pretty extensive right?

Yeah the throw out bearing is pretty cheap, but the tranny has to be dropped from the truck which is a serious PITA. And like has been said replacing the clutch at the same time is a good idea too. Chances are that if your clutch wasa replaced by the PO then the TO bearing would have been done as well. vis a vis, if your TO bearing is kaput then I doubt your clutch has ever been changed. The clutch isn;t much $$ either, its just alot of labor to do it.

My friend and I jst did this exact repair in his R50, and in hindsight the tools we didn;t have, but need to borrow, steal or buy are a bearing puller/press; a slide hammer; and a tranny jack.

The job can be done by you on the cheap if you have a garage, a good supply of tools, someone to help you muscle the tranny around, and alot of patience.

Pretty much what he said... I replaced my clutch 1.5 years ago. It's not really hard, but is labor intensive. The tools he mentioned are needed and breaker bars, 2" extensions and air tools are helpful also... ;)

B

Don't forget the long extensions and a universal joint to get to the top bolts of the transmission.

I've done this job twice so far. I always say I'm not going to do it again, but that I look at the shop cost and there I am under it again.

Pretty much what he said... I replaced my clutch 1.5 years ago. It's not really hard, but is labor intensive. The tools he mentioned are needed and breaker bars, 2" extensions and air tools are helpful also... ;)

B

:hide: i cheated... i changed my clutch while i had the motor out :P

Yup, that's what happened to mine right after I got it... mechanic said I could drive it, nothing would happen, but to get it fixed in the next week or so...

Drove it a couple more times, went to go to my buddies place, started it up and it wouldn't go into reverse... I could only shift when the truck was off... so instead of limping it to the shop, (shift into 1st, start, accelerate, shut off, second, start, accellerate, shut off, third, start, accellerate etc... hahaha) I had to get it towed 100km to get fixed... And it costed $1100...

Methinks ya'all are getting a little too spoiled.... Reliable vehicles are just leading to people not knowing how to drive when things fail - ya'all need to go back and drive a few 40+ year old cars! They fail often enough to teach you all kinds of marginally useful skills! :D

To drive a 5 speed Pathy with NO clutch:

Engine off. Put in first, turn key to on, hit the interlock button, start engine. Truck will start moving forward and engine will start running within a few feet.

When you need to shift, ease off throttle until exactly neutral load and slide out of first into neutral. Let rpm drop about 500 and gently pull back on shift lever. Vary rpm until rpm is perfectly matched and she'll snick right into gear.

Repeat for 3rd thru 5th.

To stop, slide into neutral, stop, shut off engine.

I drove my grandfather's truck for months with no clutch. And several motorcycles (better to push them rather than use starter to get rolling) with broken clutch cables.

And yes, I have tried this in my '87 just to make sure it still works, and it does!

He's right!

driveing without a clutch is something every manual owner should at least try to learn. It really isnt hard, but if its your only option and youuve never done it before, you will have a hard learning curve.

Downshifting is a little tricky, but manageable.

Agreed with the two of you, but I find my pathy doesn't shift without clutch as easily as other cars I have had... No interlock switch either... Plan on fixing that ASAP !!!

mws... Riding a bike without a clutch sucks !!! Linear gear boxes are problematic for such fun. I only had to do it once, but it was a superbike in rush hour traffic, both freeway and through town... I don't think I ever white knuckled as much as that afternoon. I remember screaming a lot....

B

Heh, I can drive without a clutch, but I didn't know how to drive it well enough to drive TO the place to get fixed... I don't know anything about trannys and such, so that's why I didn't do the fix myself.

I'm now kicking myself in the arse for not taking Mechanics and metalwork in highschool...