NorCal Lurker peeks out of the closet

Sierra Cement

Ok, so I joined about a year ago when my wife bought a new (to her) station wagon ... errr... R50. I was perhaps a little shy about posting in the newbie forum. A bit belated, I offer my hellos, and thanks. Much research had gone into the decision and the 01 LE addressed the most of my wifes needs whithout sacrificing reliability. Was I pushing her toward more rugged alternatives, with more mod flexibility? Sure, but first and foremost its her car, and she needed to be happy with it.

So upon recieving the pathfinder I had the, what seems to be, most common concerns of a newbie. One: How do I resolve this f :oops: up cd changer business. And two: Can I get bigger tires to accentuate what little ruggedness is left in the current form of the pathy.

I found the npora forum a great resource and starting point for all my concerns and have enjoyed browsing the posts from time to time to try to educate myself about the vehicle.

Life changes ensued, as they always do, and my wife finds herself doing a great deal more driving at her new job. We have added an 05 prius to our automotive quiver and I sadly relinquished my Tacoma (company car) back to my previous employer.

So here I am with my hand me down grocery getter. Dreaming of an AC lift, warn hubs, bumpers, rims, tires, subwoofer, limited slip, and on, and on, and on.

Todays post from Luker A bit of Heaven put me over the edge. :clap: Bravo. Had to introduce myself and get moving toward the day that I post a gallery like that (mouth still watering).

So... before I write a book, thanks to all the members who have put together such a wealth of info about these vehicles, and to all those hosting and moderating for keeping this well organized and good natured. I have really appreciated it.

Daydreaming in Silicon Valley.......

heh, it was only a year ago when my christmas list included (purely as a joke) a lift, tires, and some other offroading goodies.... it's been a good year. Now if only I could get a few PT jobs to pay for it all!

I have seen your name lurking about.. hehe.. so belated welcome! WAVEY

silicone valley eh... not toooo far from me...

as for bigger tires.. how big we talkin? you can lift... crank t-bars.... trim a bit....

have you seen the picks RIKK posted of him wheelin his stock '05 Pathy?

as for bigger tires.. how big we talkin? you can lift... crank t-bars.... trim a bit....

You can fit bigger than stock tires without a lift.. and even bigger tires with a lift.

Currently the only retail lift avail are the 2" AC lift, and the OME coils...

(we dont have T-bars)

I'm guessing if you've been lurking around all this time youve come across quite a few lift & tire threads in the R50 section...

I hope 2006 treats you as well as 2005 Pezzy. I found a bunch of helpfull threads previously and replaced the bald michelins that were on it when I bought it with a set of 6 -ply Toyo Open Country AT's 245/75/16. It still doesn't look like a 4wd truck to me though. And I worry about that a lot when I roll out of Kirkwood after a long, cold, wet day snowboarding.... my frozen rump nestled into my heated leather seats :P .

Welcome! :beer:

R50's Rule! :hide:

I put 10 ply LT 245/75R16 on mine. These are the biggest that will clear the front spring seat without mods. I use mine in the bush for work and do not need anything bigger than this. Looks and more rugged off-road ability will require a lift to get bigger tires.

CD changer. Go here for some idea how prevalent the problem is. I have been told that in Canada, Nissan will replace with a new unit for about $250 plus labour. Have not done it yet, surprised that Nissan has not done a recall on this to keep customers. As noted in the link, there are a lot of unhappy Pathy owners just over this easy fix (for Nissan) issue.

I have found this tire size quite functional with the stock suspension, it will serve my needs well until I decide to fork out the ducat$ for the lift.

As for the CD changer issue... That's a great link for info on the gripe, I found several other threads of similar tones back when I was deciding which direction I wanted to go to repair mine. I am happy to have abandoned the stock setup, no need to worry about recurring problems. Many have repaired and replaced that clarion disc changer (with much headache and $$$) only to have the malfunction re-occur. I am convinced it is a design flaw and that it will continue to happen no matter how many times you send it in. How many times can you spend $400 to repair a 6 disc changer?? How many hours do you want to spend griping to Nissan or Clarion, hoping for a cheaper way out. How long do you want to listen to static ridden am/fm while you wait for it to be shipped? I don't have time for that nonsense.

In one afternoon I replaced all the stock crap in the dash. My replacement unit plays mp3's and has integrated sirius controls in the dash unit, and an aux input for an ipod. I have far more than 6 discs worth of music available at one time. And the bonus... I get an extra map pocket.. wooHoo!!!!

I sadly relinquished my Tacoma (company car) back to my previous employer.

That hurts!!

So here I am with my hand me down grocery getter. Dreaming of an AC lift, warn hubs, bumpers, rims, tires, subwoofer, limited slip, and on, and on, and on.

That's the spirit! Although, guess who's gonna want the Pathy back after driving a Prius (?) for awhile.... :D

WAVEY

my wife bought a new (to her) station wagon ... errr... R50

LMAO... Either you have done your homework, or you have a definite opinion... Regardless you have awoken yet again a friendly discussion about the framelessness of the R50. Regardless, they can be converted into fairly capable rigs without too much $, as many people will attest to. It's not the same as a WD21, but then few use them as a rock crawler base either... My biggest complaint is the totally generic body style.

That said, welcome neighbor. Maybe we'll hook up for some fun; I'm in Petaluma. :beer:

B

LMAO... Either you have done your homework, or you have a definite opinion... Regardless you have awoken yet again a friendly discussion about the framelessness of the R50. Regardless, they can be converted into fairly capable rigs without too much $, as many people will attest to. It's not the same as a WD21, but then few use them as a rock crawler base either... My biggest complaint is the totally generic body style.

That said, welcome neighbor. Maybe we'll hook up for some fun; I'm in Petaluma. :beer:

B

Maybe you're right. But I can assure you that newer Pathfinders have that reliability card to play... a lot of WD21 owners have dropped a pretty penny into just getting it running like a top whereas newer R50 owners can start immediatly with upgrades. You'll do fine. Welcome!