'95 Pathy - Kinda mushy steering

prginocx

I've only had it a few weeks, but it is steering kinda mushy. Has stock shocks all the way around and only 67k miles. I'm wondering if aftermarket shocks would improve the handling ?

I'm also going to be doing a little towing (16' boat, 1450Lbs total), wouldn't the shocks help with that ?

I did the bounce test front and rear. Front goes up / down 4 times, rear goes up/down twice. I do have 10.5" wide 31 inch tires.

Yes, better shocks would help some. With only 67k on the truck, the front end should be in decent shape unless it was ill used... The torsion bars may have sagged some and could use a little adjustment also.

B

Well in terms of being ill-used I do know it was wrecked on the RF corner...That fender has been re-mounted badly, and still doesn't fit properly w/the corner of the hood and R-side front door. I did have it aligned and they said it was definitely out....Not sure of the cause.

Front bounces 4 times?

Yep, those would be toast...

After a hard push down, the vehicle should at most bounce up past center once, then back down. Maybe down past center once and then up a tiny bit and stop.

I REALLY like to use the adjustable RS9000x's in the rear on tow vehicles. 9000's in the front would be awesome, but not as hugely beneficial and easily cost justified as on the rear. So I usually use a "quality" non-adjustable there.

When you had it aligned did they say anything about the tie rod end, ball joints or any of the steering components? Does it have a Steering Stabalizer?

Also Mushy compared to what?

Please see our thread on Tranny Coolers in the review section.... towing will toll on the transmission....

shicks sound like they need attention.. could be other things.. tire pressure? or any suspention pieces ebing loose.. center link is probably about toast if not there already.. bjs maybe too.. i have gotten allignement before with things like that out of whack.. and they didn't even say a word to me.. i only found out later chasing same steering problems..

They did say it was "far" out of alignment, but nothing damaged. Do I still need a tranny cooler with a 5spd ? I thought that wasn't necessary.

Also there don't seem to be any place to grease the suspension components ? What is the deal with that....Even my ancient Ford pickup had grease fittings. Nissan has invented a moving joint that doesn't require grease ? Nice....

No, the tranny cooler does not apply to manuals, only automagic trannys... This does apply to your manual tranny though.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

As for the lack of zerk fittings, um yes, it's not a good design. Some aftermarket ball joints have grease fittings, and some people install them if they put in aftermarket control arms, etc... :shrug:

B