Frame replacement?

Guest Random

So I bought this 94 pathfinder the other day and yes it has pretty much everything going against it, high miles well er... KM, it's form one of the more corrosive provences in Canada, although I don't know which one, judging by the rust I'd say east coast perhaps but at 2000$ with a really clean drivetrain and interior I figured if worst comes to worst I can get my money back in parts lol. Regardless when I looked at it I saw the body rust which isn't a really big deal I can fix that, but when I was poking around under it the other day at home I stuck my finger through the frame :oops:. Needless to say I think that if I plan to keep this thing for any lengh of time a frame swap is in order. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done this and has some tips for me or even a link of some sort. I'm new to pathfinders but not to Nissan/Datsun products nor am a I a newbe when it comes to wrenching on never ending projects, just as me about my GTI from hell LOL.

I hope to hear back from you and thanks in advance,

Ted.

I had my frame replaced on my 94 pathfinder November 04. you won't be able to find any 94 frames that aren't rusted out in the same area yours is which I'm guessing is over the rear wheels right where the rear axle connects to the the frame? My mechanic searched grave yards for about a month and came up with a 95 frame which was a direct change over. The guys at the garage were very pleasantly suprised at how easily the process went. The frame replacement only took about 3 days, while they had it stripped I had them go ahead an replace the clutch which we found out I didn't really need to but they were there. Anyway the cost for the frame was $600.00 plus labor. Funny how the frame was dangerously rotted out but nothing else under there was.

I contacted Nissan about the problem and they said they haven't had enough complaints about the frame rust problem to do a recall, but if enough 94 Pathfinder owners would make them aware of the problem they would look into recalling the vechicles because of the problem and we may all get some kind of reimbursement for fixing the frames. So anyone out there who has had this problem should write a letter to Nissian USA and let them know. Even if you didn't repair or replace the frame they still want to know, but you will need the vin # of the vehicle. They are willing to be very cooperative if they have enough data to address the problem. The rep that called me after I sent the letter was very nice and said I should encourage anyone who has had the problem to report it. I sent letters and photos and bills to: Nissan Technical Center North America, 39001 Sunrise Drive, PO Box 9200, Farmington Hills, MI 48333-9200 and a copy to Nissan Consumer Affairs, PO Box 191, Gardena, CA 90248. I also registered a complaint with the NHTSA so that I would have something on record; they had seven other complaints about the exact same rust problem at the time I reported it.

The rep that called me after I sent the letter was very nice and said I should encourage anyone who has had the problem to report it. I sent letters and photos and bills to: Nissan Technical Center North America, 39001 Sunrise Drive, PO Box 9200, Farmington Hills, MI 48333-9200 and a copy to Nissan Consumer Affairs, PO Box 191, Gardena, CA 90248. I also registered a complaint with the NHTSA so that I would have something on record; they had seven other complaints about the exact same rust problem at the time I reported it.

Now thats something worth following up on. My '95 doesn't have any frame rust, but I know plenty of you people out there do. Take a few minutes to write a letter and spend a few stamps. It may well work to everyones favor !

Thanks mucho luv !! :beer:

B

Is there somewhere that I should post the contact information to Nissan about the frame rust problem, so that more pathfinder owners will see it?

This site is the best for getting info about pathfinders and reaches a huge audience, but they may not all visit the garage or look for frame rust problems.

:secret: How should I go about getting this info out there to fellow owners who have had the same problem?

Go ahead and start a new thread, call it something like "Nissan contact information for frame rust issues" or whatever, and explain what it's all about and post the contact info. I'll 'pin' the topic so it is always at the top of the page in bold letters.

Thanks again, it's things like this and people like you that make this such a great site !! :aok:

B

Ok Luvnmypath, You are the only person I have ever known that had the entire frame changed. I remember your post from when the job was done. The total cost was about $3000.

Does anyone know someone else who has had a frame transplant?

Wow, you guys are as bad as my husband, actually changing out the frame was the most economical.

used frame was $600.00

labor for frame replacement about $1,800.00

I had the clucth replaced while it was all stripped down and regular maintenance and tune up, fluids, oil change, brakes checked and rotors turned if necessary. so that was the remainder of the $600.00 bringing the total to around 3K.

My 1994 Pathy....priceless!!!

I checked into getting a used car and just letting the pathy go but - I have had my pathy since day one - I know it's maintenance schedule and I know how well I take care of it and what it's been through. Body is in excellent condition, so is the interior and mechanically it's excellent so I couldn't see paying someone 5K plus for a used vehicle with more miles on it than what I have on mine. I've only had 138,000 on it when I did the change over. And it just wasn't in the cards to get a new one, plus I love my body style.

And from the sounds of it most of you all could change out your own frame and wouldn't have to pay the labor, so you'd be a head of the game. I couldn't find anyone who was willing to take on the liability of welding the frame as some other 94 owners have so... the replacement was my only option, other than the grave yard and I just couldn't do it. ;)

Thank you all for your comments and info, this is all new to me now as this is my first Pathfinder and I wasn't aware of rust being a common problem with them. I'll probably swap the frame myself (full frame swap) I can wield but not well enough to section a frame and have it strong enough to have 4000lbs of truck beating the crap out of it. Can anyone tell me if the P/U frame is the same as the Pathfinder frame and/or if there are any differences in the frame between the four banger and the six cylinder frames? It seems in my area (Vancouver B.C.) that these trucks come in two flavors, really well kept or rusty, crusty and beat to s--t!

I'm not concerned about the milage as Nissan engines/drivelines are well known to outlast the vehicles they're bolted in to.

I saw a JDM Pathfinder at an import lot the other day it was an 89 with a turbo diesel, too bad it's right hand drive, it's really clean and I bet the closest to off road it's seen is driving through some road construction.

Thanks again,

Ted.

• 2 weeks later...

As it has been stated only the Pathfinder frame will fit. They are all the same from 1990 to 1995. Your best bet is to buy a rolling chassis, not just a frame. That will give you additional parts that you are likely to find bad on one of the Pathys. Things like control arms.

There are many frames available in Washington State. Gundies in Bellingham 1-800-444-4344 have several. Gerrys 1-800-848-5578 in Kittitas has a couple, and Andersons 1800 359 7163 in Walla- Walla has one. All are priced under $1000. There are many in canada also, but since I do not know the geography of BC I do not know how close these people may be. Go to Car-part.com and enter the info You may figure out that many are close to you. If you were on the east coast you could get a frame very cheap, but of course you would have to find a wreck from many years ago to find one with a good frame. That is possible here in that while many Pathys in the yards are picked over for body and mechanical parts, most of the frames are still there. So a 5 or 10 year old roll over is possible to find.

I am really interested in trying to assist someone who is going to tackle this frame transplant. I think I am too old to try it myself, but who knows.

Thank you all for your input, I called the wrecker down the street from my work place and was quoted $600 for the frame and that seems OK, I'll have to call some more places after Christmas/New years and see how things go. The rolling chassis seems to be a good idea and if one comes cheap enough I'll snag it for sure. Its been mentioned that all the frames are the same and I don't mean to flog this to death but here goes anyway... Is the wheelbase the same between the 2 door and the 4 door? I don't mean to be a pain but as anyone could imagine if they got a frame home and it was say 6 inches too short....Also what's the difference pre 1990? I don't want to go on and on but I'm very experianced at getting the wrong part.

All the best,

Ted.

Yes the 2X and 4X wheel frames were very similar. The basic frame is the same, however I can not tell for sure if all of the welded brackets on the 4X match the welded brackets on the 2X. Pre 1990 was the era of 2 door pathfinders. Those are different. Before any of the forum comment I said different not worse. Now you can find 2X drive pathys but I admit there are not many around. I have only personnally seen one.

Make sure that you take pics every step of the way. Luvmypath had taken pics of the transplant and posted them.

Thanks, when I do the swap in spring I'll take all the pics I can and pass them on with any insight I may get from this. A friend suggested I use his four point lift to remove the body. Having a full shop at my disposal will speed this way up! Either way I see alot of beer involved, thank god for self focusing digital cameras LOL.