NEW REAR SPRINGS INSTALLED WITH PHOTOS

MrJim

I bought some Ford Bronco coils for my Pathfinder today. They are 2" lifted coils.

I will be installing them this weekend. I also have some Jeep Grand Cherokee coils too and I will be selling the ones that I do not use.

The Jeep coils looks softer, but the Ford coils are 2" longer than the factory Ford coils.

Photos below...

B)

post-1-1078593094.jpg

Wow Jim, I mean; when are you going to stop man :o . How much hight are you adding all toghter? It seems like everyweek your adding something new sly. You already have a 3" lift right.

It's been a big year already for your truck huh. How much do you think you've invested in her in 04 .

Believe me, I know. Wife is complaining that we have spent nearly all of our tax return already. This year I decided to spend it hard and fast on my Pathfinder so it did not just drindle away to nothing on little things before I got anything done.

I will just give her a few hundred dollars and send her shopping for clothes. She will be happy. sssh

I would truely be scared to add that figure up over the years.

Just adding up the actual items is scary: Rebuilt engine, Clutch, Lift(s), multiple sets of tires, multiple sets of wheels, bumpers, winches, sliders, intake kits, power chips, roof racks, offroad lights, stereo equipment, shocks, steering components, stabilizer, towing kit, tow hooks, Ventvisors, Lund Hood Scoops, Headers, Muffler(s), Exhaust, etc.

sssh sssh sssh sssh seriously--- sssh

Springs are installed and man that was a job and a half for one person with limited tools.

First I unbolted sway bar and shocks.

I jacked up the left side and blocked it for support. The old spring came right out.

I got out my torch to cut the new Bronco springs where they taper down on one end. Torch was ineffective.

I went to auto parts store and rented a coil spring compressor. They did not have anything to cut the coils.

I went to Home Depot and bought some 2" metal cutting discs for my die cutter. I also bought a metal cutting blade for my table saw as a backup.

I tried to use the die cutter first and that was a waste of time.

I went to the table saw and zipped right through it. No problem.

The spring compressor proved to be more trouble that it was worth. I fought with it for a while and then decided that it would just be easier to jack the Pathfinder up higher so that the new spring would just fit.

That is what I did and it went fairly smoothly from there on.

The right side went much quicker since I had already figured out a game plan.

When I was done, it was sitting VERY high in the rear and I figured that I would just have to go back in next weekend and take an inch or two off of the new springs, but after I drove it around it settled down to be just a little higher in the rear than the front. I can live with that. It looks really good and I am happy with the results.

One thing though, I will definitely be putting my front sway bar back in with longer bolts added. It is just way to top heavy now with the added lift and no front sway bar. I bet it would flex its tail off on the trails though.

My wife said, "Why would you do that? You are ruining your Pathfinder. Why would you keep making it higher and higher?" I told her that it will be getting bigger still. It is just a matter of time. Again, she said, "Why would you want that?"

She is cute. She does not need to understand some things... :D

lift1.jpg

lift2.jpg

lift3.jpg

lift4.jpg

lift5.jpg

lift6.jpg

lift7.jpg

lift8.jpg

Hope you all approve...

First, my wife as a calender girl? She is cute enough, but probably not.

Those springs looked and felt very stiff before I installed them, but they are very comfortable when installed. I guess the Pathfinder has enough weight to make them flexable. I think they are going to work out nicely.

I bought them on eBay...

They reach, but have limited travel. They are tired anyway. I put them on in 2000. I will be adding some shocks designed for a lift this month.

Well, I decided today that they are too high. I am going to cut them down about 2" this weekend and that goes against everything in my being. They are just too much taller than the front.

I got the Jeep Grand Cherokee springs today and they look new. I will take $65 plus shipping if anyone wants them. They are ready to install. They can be shipped out right away. :secret:

• 3 years later...

>>>>> "I bought some Ford Bronco coils for my Pathfinder today. They are 2" lifted coils."

Jim,

What year Bronco did the springs come from?

thanks,

al

Edited by AlMac

>>>>> "I bought some Ford Bronco coils for my Pathfinder today. They are 2" lifted coils."

Jim,

What year Bronco did the springs come from?

thanks,

al

Jims not around to much any more, but this should help you out.

How To: Replacement rear coil spring lift - 1987-1995 Nissan Pathfinder

Written by our own 88Pathoffroad

The springs being referred to in this article are: Ford coil springs off the FRONT of a 70's Ford F100 or F150 2WD pickup, or front coil springs off a 1993-1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. I've seen people use springs out of a '70, a '72, a '74, and a '78 Ford all with the same results. There are pluses and minuses to using either type of spring, as shown here. I am personally using a set of .58" 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 front coil springs and Rancho RS5116 shock absorbers in the rear.

It's worth reading as there is more info on the subject as a whole. :aok: