P1's skid plate

jj big shoe

Well folks, here it is. I'll be changing the bolts to panhead allens when I get the chance, but she looks good as is. I'm gonna have to wait a while before I can abuse it, though. I'm selling my Acura and since the Pathy will be my only ride I can't risk busting something, so I'll be taking it kinda easy on the trails for now.

P1 did an excellent job even though he was using his bent Pathy as a template, it didn't take much tweaking at all to get it mounted. I've PMed him with some feedback already, so if/when he decides to go into production with these, they will be that much better. :aok:

Edited by jj big shoe

-bounce- heyyyyy!!! I want one -bounce- i will test it alllll you want! gimme gimme gimme -bounce-

looks real nice jj.. smooooooth lines and almost purty! good work B :aok:

WAVEY

Just a thought! I'm not the sharpest tool in the shead when it comes to mods, but wouldn't you want more of a smoother slant on the plate from the front to the rear instead of that sharp drop? :shrug: Just an observation if you see what I mean.

Not meaning to bust P... anyones bubble cause it does look sweet. :aok:

There isn't really a good way to do that, unless you made spacers for the front mounts, to drop it down a bit, thus, reducing the angle. While that might work, it would then create a flat spot on the front to catch on things, so I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you did that. Based on the geometry of the truck, that angle is as good as it gets as far as I can tell.. :shrug:

WAVEY

Just a thought! I'm not the sharpest tool in the shead when it comes to mods, but wouldn't you want more of a smoother slant on the plate from the front to the rear instead of that sharp drop? :shrug: Just an observation if you see what I mean.

Not meaning to bust P... anyones bubble cause it does look sweet. :aok:

Hmmm....

Maybe a "deluxe slider" version, B? With a custom bracket that mounts to the frame and provides new mount points further forward?

My garage is still available, with torches and welders and grinders, oh my!

wouldn't you want more of a smoother slant on the plate from the front to the rear

Yes, you are absolutely correct, that would be better. Simon pretty much covers things with his explanation, but no, the angle is steeper than it needs to be, but not by too much. The bottom bend where it levels out again is about 2" farther forward than it needs to be. mws is on the right track with about the only way one could reduce the angle more, but I think you can only go so far with that also as you don't want to go too low and due to the front valance you can't shift the mount points too much farther forward. At least, thats what I think; remember, my truck is bent up front and doesn't have a lower valance on it yet...

There is 1/2 stand off block in the front, but I also had to make a 3/4 stand off for the rear mount to clear some components as this skid plate is a bit wider than the stock one. I have been in discussion with JJ and he made a good recommendation which, combined with a variant of what mws sugested, would reduce the angle about as much as is feasible. I didn't want tackle it on the first prototype, but it would actually make the forming easier. Basicly, the front wouldnt have a bend, rather the plate would rise up in an angle to (and slightly past) an angled front mount (looking like this \_ ). I'd leave the stock mount points but maybe drop it another inch. This combined with having the bottom bend farther back would be the best it would get. The current bend is about 50 degrees from horisontal. Trig says the best possible scenario could achieve 35 degrees, but in reality, I think I could gaurentee a 40 degree slope max. Still, that would be much better !!

This being the first one made, I'm pretty happy with the results, but of course there is room for improvement ! Thanks much everyone for your input and suggestions (and praise :D ), thats exactly what I want. Keep it comming, don't be shy.

B

How about forming one with the decreased angle in aluminum or steel, then affixing the UHMU material to it? I'm thinking the metal piece would be more of a "C" shape than the "S" shape it is now.

The UMHU could actually extend up to the underside of the bumper and completely cover the front crossmember that the skid is mounted to plus you wouldn't have the problem of trying to form such a thick material into such a tight bend.

Something like this (The blue is the UHMU).

-bounce- -bounce-

I think it is time for me to go back to school :type: for welding and metal fabricating. I'm getting excited from all this fabrication talk.

On the other note, the PreRunner's skid plates wouldn't work on a Pathy? I like the look of those. Plane Jane, but wouldn't want all the holes fabbed in it. More room for the ol' mud and dirt to pack in around your steering components. Keep up the great work guys! :beer:

So you gonna make one for us two door owners?

I'd be more than happy to test it for you! 

The truck in the pics is an '87 2-door. I don't think there's a difference between the 2 and 4 doors as far as the skid mounting points are concerned.