What to do in the event of a Roll Over?

vengeful

Ok...Granted this is a Pathfinder Forum, and with the exception of a few of us, most of us don't really tackle the really hardcore stuff. With that said, the chance for rolling your rig is always a possibility. I've layed my Pathy on it's side (well, kinda...it was balancing between the sheet metal and the two drivers side wheels...). I was able to drive out of it, but it scared the living crap out of me and my passenger!

I found this link while browsing on XF, thought I'd share...

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showth...4&highlight=TOD

Never been involved in one however I have heard this advice given many times:

Wear your seatbelt, or even better a harness. Keep your hands arms legs etc inside the vehicle. Don't try to bail out. Make sure all your stuff is secured somehow (bungie cords rope etc). If you have a roll bar don't grab it except for specific grab bars (don't wanna smash your hand do you?).

Finally pray! (or whatever ritual you feel is appropriate)

Never been involved in one however I have heard this advice given many times:

Wear your seatbelt, or even better a harness. Keep your hands arms legs etc inside the vehicle. Don't try to bail out. Make sure all your stuff is secured somehow (bungie cords rope etc). If you have a roll bar don't grab it except for specific grab bars (don't wanna smash your hand do you?).

Finally pray! (or whatever ritual you feel is appropriate)

DO NOT wear a harness unless your car has an approved roll cage.

:takebow: I rolled my pathy unfortunately i was driving 65 on the highway when i hit black ice. i slid all over the road then off the road when i actually rolled it i was going like15 mph sidways then it rolled and slid like 20 feet or so. a little scary. best advice is wear seatbelts. my wife and i both had ours on good thing because we just found out whe was pregnant with our first like 2 weeks earlier. And you definetely want to keep all hands in the vehicle, while sliding my driver window broke out and i instinctively wanted to brace myself with my arm well luckily i did not and only ended up with a gash on the forhead. wife and unborn child came out unscaved thank you seatbelts. I am a true believer. oh and the cool thing is we winched the pathy over back on it's wheels checked all fluids and bumped the starter, she started up and i drove it home.

DO NOT wear a harness unless your car has an approved roll cage.

Most places in the US have no statutes or limitations on rollbars or cages with regard to seatbelt or harness anchoring points, as far as I know. The only way anyone around here would ever get in trouble for something like that is if they modified the harness or seatbelt in such a way that made it weaker than it would have been if the original anchoring points had been left alone or was done in an unsafe or negligent way, and even then it would probably just be a ticket/citation.

We don't have vehicle inspections, emissions or anything extra whatsoever where I live. I can pretty much register, license and drive any vehicle that I can run long enough to drive it in so they can verify the VIN number for the paperwork.

Most places in the US have no statutes or limitations on rollbars or cages with regard to seatbelt or harness anchoring points, as far as I know. The only way anyone around here would ever get in trouble for something like that is if they modified the harness or seatbelt in such a way that made it weaker than it would have been if the original anchoring points had been left alone or was done in an unsafe or negligent way, and even then it would probably just be a ticket/citation.

We don't have vehicle inspections, emissions or anything extra whatsoever where I live. I can pretty much register, license and drive any vehicle that I can run long enough to drive it in so they can verify the VIN number for the paperwork.

A harness will hold you true in your seat if fitted correctly.

Now think about the roof caving in on top of you and not being able to lay across the seats.

I think we get the idea.

A harness will hold you true in your seat if fitted correctly.

Now think about the roof caving in on top of you and not being able to lay across the seats.

I think we get the idea.

Yeah but i dont think there would be time to even think about laying across the seats, and you may have another person in there with you. Besides, ive never seen a vehicle in crash were the entire roof came in, unless it fell over a cliff or got hit by a semi, and then the hood and the b-post would support it, im sure its hard to crush a vehicle 4 posts.

4977.jpg

Yeah but i dont think there would be time to even think about laying across the seats, and you may have another person in there with you. Besides, ive never seen a vehicle in crash were the entire roof came in, unless it fell over a cliff or got hit by a semi, and then the hood and the b-post would support it, im sure its hard to crush a vehicle 4 posts.

4977.jpg

A harness will hold you in a position that will not let you move.

A lapsash will let you move, either willingly or against you will, you can and do move.

Have a good look at the link and ask yourself the question. Would a harness save my life?

http://www.northbostonfire.com/new_page_12.htm

Look at this.

http://www.rolloverlawyer.com/eddie_bauer/

Read page 5.

http://www.citizen.org/documents/Fuel_Economy_Canard.pdf

I will reiterate what I said earlier for the benefit of those that do not know any better, and for those that have never seen a roof cave in.

Do not wear or use a harness unless the car has an approved roll cage!

You just never know when the car is going to fall over.

I am not saying that you will live through a roll over. I am just suggesting that with a harness on, without an approved roll cage, you have no hope at all.

To mount a harness, you'd have to at least weld a "hoop" in (like what's on a Wrangler) with a crossbar behind the seats to get the shoulder straps positioned correctly. They need to be level with your shoulders, right? If you mount the shoulder straps lower, like to the floor, you'll crush your spine on impact. I would think a single hoop and crossbar would prolly be enough to prevent the roof from squishing your head in a rollover but if you're gonna go that far, might as well weld the rest of the cage in, too.

but it still havent seen total colapse of an suv yet and besides, if i were to put in a harness it would be set up like jj said and those pics were with cars on the road, most of the rollovers ive seen offroad were very slow moving (not the roll but slow speed) and usally roll on its side or roof but i have seen the rock crawlers fall off but they are built for that

The arguements against improper harness set up seems very clear to me. True, all of those pictures were on the road, where most peoples trucks spend 95+% of their time... I've never rolled, but I have come close. On or off road, when it happens, it generally happens WAY too fast !! While the intent of the thread is about off road rolls, the safety and recovery aspects, I'd argue that safety is the #1 concern, both before and after.

If I ever seriously rolled my truck (regardless of where and how) and was able to walk away from it relatively unscathed, I'd happly put a match to what was left of the truck and call the experience a good deal. In my case, if the roof dropped 1 foot above my head and I couldn't be pushed away, I'd be at least 6" shorter. I care about my neck (and other's) far more than a chunk of metal. V6's links explain a lot.

B

about the harness, i never said to use one without a rollbar but i would agree with vsick about that and jj, i wouldnt use one without a rollbar and about them pics, ive seen tons and tons of pics of that and seen it happen a few times thanks to my training/time at the fire dept, and even then, i wouldnt put myself in a postion to roll without the proper safety gear not that its planned or anything but its comman sense to know that you cant drive over an 80 degree angle

Edited by FLApathy

i agree. couple of things to put here on this thread. my friend had a four door focus and he rolled itthe toher weekend. he was going 55 in a 45 arounda turn and he hit a log casuing the car to slide out he had the wheels positioned correctly and everything but could not prevent the car from rolling. all three people in the car were wearing seat belts and all survived unscathed. the car was totaled with over 11000 dollars worth of damage doen to the car. so seatbelts work i know that for a fact as most of us probably do.

anyway, ive got a small joke about rollign cars that i heard the other day

so in the new models of cars manufatures are installing black boxes that record 15 seconds of the driver when the car is crashed or being rolled. so the rich white guy rolls his new car and when they listen to the recording they hear the typical "oh sh*t, of F*ck, god dman it". next another black box comes in with a recording from a redneck. they are listenign to the recording and they hear "quick hold my beer while i try this"

Ok. The safety issue has been covered. What about recovery? Are there rules of thumb to follow when actually flipping it over?

Situation: you are flipped on roof with one friend, no other vehicles. Slow speed roll over, no injuries but you are in the middle of the woods. You have lots of straps, a high lift jack, and two good hand winches (3000 and 4000 lbs).

What is the best way to flip it back over with the least amount of damage? What do you anchor to, etc.?

first off, never wheel alone

but i would probaly hook up the 2 come-a-longs to the frame or cross member, something study on the frame. Then i would throw them over to the other side and hook them to trees, one tree per come-a-long and then start whinching. but if the truck started to just slide toward you then i would probably dig a little trench next to the truck, parallel to it so that when it slides into it it would fall into the trench and the flip back over but that would be on its side but it should keep coming over as you which it but once it starts to fall run in case the cables to something funky cuzz it aint going to be a soft landing and by the time it was an angle to put the hi lift under it it would already be on the ground

if its on grass then it will probably slide but if its on dirt it probably wont

you could use the straps by looping them on the oppisite side of the whinch anchor point, come around from the back and weave it into the back pass window then out the front pass window (assuming the whinch point is on the driver side) and then around the windsheild to another anchor point ( both strap anchor points oppisite of the which anchor points) that would flip it right there but i dont think it would need it unless it was on wet grass

Disclamier: im sure i forgot something or would do something different if i were actually in that situation but from the what i read from CG with the supplys and terrain thats probably what i would have done, im sure that if i forgot something or any of the things i said that i would probably do would result in more damage or harm or it just isnt the same as some other ppl that ill be flammed to death, so just read it and say whats wrong and right

Edited by FLApathy

when a friend rolled his Jeep on the freeway (traffic came to a grinding halt after an accident and he had to take preventative measuers) he said the first thing he instinctively did was to lay over the passenger seat and he grabbed the door handle on the pass side. He had his seat belt on and he rolled 3 times, and was completely unscathed as the stability and headroom he gained from this caused him little movement during the roll (he was holding on for dear life!).. I know in our pathys it would be mroe difficult to do that, but if you feel yourself going over or just "know" you are going to roll, and you are alone, grab the passenger seat and throw your arms around it like you are hugging it

If the pillar crushes (where your hands are hugging) I would rather have a few broken bones in my hadn then a squished coconut or broken limbs..

or, as others say, grab and hold the steering wheel for all you are wirth, making sure to keep your hands arms and face away from the glass/doors/windshield... last but not least.. face down and close your eyes and pray to god.

May no one every have to put these tips into practice... :aok:

Recovery: as soon as the vehicle has come to a stand still, turn OFF the ignition and make sure a brake and or the vehicle is in gear.

Asess your personal damage, then asess what tools/uprighting aids you have handy, and also how much man power.

If you are off road witha group, if it is safe to do so you can usually rocka vehicle enuff to roll it back over. or, as FLA said, come alongs are mans best friend next to a friend with a winch.

However you do recovery, ALWAYS make sure you try to stand clear of winchs/come alongs in case the cables break!!! if you can use a come along from behind a tree.. please do so!! YOUR SAFETY FIRST!! the vehicle can be replaced!!

Happy, safe driving/wheeling -bounce-

as above, kick the starter over to make sure the motor is not hydrolocked. Check for leaking fluids, including gas!

Edited by Slick

Happy, safe driving/wheeling -bounce-

as above, kick the starter over to make sure the motor is not hydrolocked. Check for leaking fluids, including gas!

I would wait a few before i kicked over the engine. This will help if you are hydrolocked. Give a few minutes to help drain the oil out before you bend a rod!

I would wait a few before i kicked over the engine. This will help if you are hydrolocked. Give a few minutes to help drain the oil out before you bend a rod!

well yeah.. I didn't mean flip it over and try immediately..lol.. gotta wait til gravity does it's duty ;):aok:

• 2 weeks later...