Spoiler on SE

TeenZombie

Can you install one of those rear spoilers I see on the SE onto the XE? I want to basically transform my XE into an SE and this is one thing I need to do.

So can I and does anyone have one they would sell?

I am kinda new to this so, is that even a spoiler?

Be gentle.

Call it a wind deflector. As I understand, it directs a downdraft that helps keep the rear window clear and maybe theoretically with gas mileage, but I think it is generally useless. You will need the hinges for the rear glass also as thats what it mounts on and they are different from the hinges without it. I thought I saw one for sale in our little classifieds section. You can always start a thread in the Parts Wanted section. Junkyards/wreckers are about the only other source. I hate to think what a stealership would charge for a new set up... Oh, there's always Ebay.

B

If the load is large and shifts or you are not cautious and whack it, sure, you could break the hinges. There is very little height clearance from the top bow of the roofrack to the wind deflector. If you reconfigure the roofrack, I don't think you can lay anything on the roof and have it hang over the rear (like a bookshelf or 2x4's). I could be mistaken, but I don't think so. :shrug:

I have a rear wiper so I see no point in a 'spoiler' for me...

B

Call it a wind deflector.

Yes please do :blink:

As I understand, it directs a downdraft that helps keep the rear window clear

Yep, that is exactly what it does

but I think it is generally useless.

Sorry B but... Wrong Answer! :D

My SE did not have one. Then my wiper stopped working correctly (actually it just blew fuses constantly) I decided to give a deflector a shot until I could fix the wiper. And it makes a huge difference, my rear window was basically useless before I got it (when the wiper was not working) But after installing it my window remains basically clear all the time.

It's an addition that I am glad I made :aok:

If the load is large and shifts or you are not cautious and whack it, sure, you could break the hinges. There is very little height clearance from the top bow of the roofrack to the wind deflector. If you reconfigure the roofrack, I don't think you can lay anything on the roof and have it hang over the rear (like a bookshelf or 2x4's). I could be mistaken, but I don't think so. :shrug:

I have a rear wiper so I see no point in a 'spoiler' for me...

B

They (or most of them) are made of aluminum and are surpisingly strong. I have rested a few things on it without any problems.

If the load shifts, well then that kinda boils down to the driver ;) Either not securing it properly or driving inappropriately with a load on top :nono:

They (or most of them) are made of aluminum and are surpisingly strong. I have rested a few things on it without any problems.

If the load shifts, well then that kinda boils down to the driver ;) Either not securing it properly or driving inappropriately with a load on top :nono:

yes but they are attached via 4 little screws to a plastic piece.. i always take it of when i haul my canoe and such.. no roof rack. :mellow:

Then my wiper stopped working correctly

I just would have fixed the damn wiper... :P:blink:

Yeah, just for kicks, when I wrote about it, I walked across the street and looked at the one on the neighbors truck. The 'spoiler' is VERY sturdy formed aluminum, the plastic hinge pieces SUCK !! I can see them being especially bad after 10-15 years of heat, cold, etc. Hmm, maybe I should make some billet aluminum ones as should have been done originally. As for loads shifting (or a buddy pushing or pulling at the wrong time) shet happens... ;)

Cool that you like yours, but I don't want one.. :shrug:

B

I thought all Pathfinders had the rear wipers, but some had the additional spoiler as well. It also keeps dirt off the rear window when driving in dusty conditions (how many of us drive that fast in dust I don't know).

My driveway is dirt and gravel so in the summer things get VERY dusty just driving up and down the driveway. I might have to look into one of these...

Hey Zombie, I have a spoiler off a '92 or '93, I think. I drive an '88 Pathy and it isn't the right one for my truck. It mounts to the rear roof, rather than the older ones, that mount to the hinges on the rear hatch.

So you'll need to drill holes and get anchors of some kind to mount it. You could probably use the same things used to mount roof-racks and stuff, I can't remember what they're called.

The spoiler is tinted fiberglass and in excellent shape. I was gonna throw it on eBay but thought I'd offer it on here first.

$30 -plus shipping seems reasonable. Let me know.

:beer:

I just would have fixed the damn wiper...  :P  :blink:

Yeah, just for kicks, when I wrote about it, I walked across the street and looked at the one on the neighbors truck. The 'spoiler' is VERY sturdy formed aluminum, the plastic hinge pieces SUCK !! I can see them being especially bad after 10-15 years of heat, cold, etc. Hmm, maybe I should make some billet aluminum ones as should have been done originally. As for loads shifting (or a buddy pushing or pulling at the wrong time) shet happens...  ;) 

Cool that you like yours, but I don't want one..  :shrug:

B

Yeah.. but at that time I was so tired of fixing stuff... dynamite was sounding really good to me :blink:

I'll agree that the point of failure would be the mounts, but given that mine came off of and 87 or 88 they are in near perfect shape for being 17+ years old ;)

However, if aluminum ones became available.. well could cause my existing ones to, umm.. "fail" :D

Edited by RedPath88

I'm thinking we should just drop the whole XE and SE business. Not just spoiler-wise, but for about anything. My XE is better equipped than half the SE's out there and I've come to learn that it does nothing but provide bragging rights.

Is that a hint of jealousy I sense? :laugh:

Bragging rights? well not sure about that but if so Mines an SE and yours is not :P:D

Edited by RedPath88

• 1 month later...

FWIW - When I bought my '92 SE 4X4 new, the rear wind deflector was a dealer installed accessory. They didn't even know what I was talking about until I pointed to the picture in the pretty little book and said I want that...how much...I have the factory roof rack and added some black pipe bars to the top of them and clearance for 2x4's, 4x8 sheet goods and my canoe are no problem...