oil sending unit

cohen

Assuming you are pluging it in here.

You may have easier access to the Oil Sending unit by removing the 2 bolts for the starter(Disco Battery too) and sliding it forward about 4". The Connector for the Sending Unit is in the Starter wiring harness too.

That was the only way I could replace mine.

Edited by Casey.T

yea after I figured that i was pulling the wrong end.. pssd .. it came off with ease. But the screw was to big and wouldn't go in. So I can either spend $70 for the correct part and still not be sure the oil press. is right. Or take it to a place let them install one and check it with a manual gauge, for about $115. I think im going with the second choice though.

where can you get it for $10? The autoparts store sells it for 48 (but it's the wrong one) and the Nissan Dealership sells it for 78 (there is 2 different models of it, and it still might not be the correct one).

But yea the screw was just a little to big and wouldn't go in because of that. :furious:

p.s. this car has been the BIGGEST pain in the @$$ of all time! Nothing ever goes the right way it's constantly one thing after another!! But that's how all old cars are :wacko: . It'll be nice when it's all done though. I can't wait. ;)

Edited by cohen

RockAuto.com is always a good place to look, but it would appear that you can also get it locally for nearly the same price.

Niehoff Ignition Oil Pressure Switch

$7.99 (online price) at PartsAmerica.com.

Buy it online and pick it up in one of your five local Advance Auto Parts stores.

Around here the stores are Schucks Auto Supply and they will match an online price if you bring in a printout of the product page. If Advance does the same you can just buy it in the store. But paying "online" saves you the hassle of waiting "in line" at the checkout, when the store is busy... just walk up to the parts counter, pick it up and walk out ;)

With further review of this. I do remember there being 2 different types of sending units. One was like $12 and the other was way more expensive.....

In the 88 I had the Stealership replace the entire Positive Lead from the Battery.... In doing so it changed the connector to the Oil Sending unit and the new cabling did not match up with the old sending unit, the Stealership replaced the sending unit with the one that fit the new connector....

When the sending unit started blowing oil into the starter causing it to fail.....

Replaced the Starter(life time Warrenty) Make sure you clean it up before taking it back for replacement.

I also took in the sending unit and had them match the connectors... I do not remember the cost on the OSU but I do know it was more than $20 at Napa.

With further review of this.  I do remember there being 2 different types of sending units. One was like $12 and the other was way more expensive.....

If you search partsamerica.com for "Oil Sending Unit" (make sure you select the vehicle first) you will find that there are two different styles listed and the prices are vastly different ($8-$12 and $42-$60).

The link I sent above has a picture in it... I kind of figured that if it did not match then Cohen would probably say something about it ;)

Hopefully the cheap one is the needed unit.

Of the sending units listed in the links the expensive ones say "w/Gauge"

Cohen, you mentioned that your "gauge" reads 0. Since it would appear that you do have one(a gauge), you may very well need the expensive unit :(

If that is the case then perhaps it is time for an aftermarket gauge set? :idea:

Those can be found for about the same cost as the replacement unit... some even lower in price and they do more -thnkboutit-

p.s. this car has been the BIGGEST pain in the @$$ of all time! Nothing ever goes the right way it's constantly one thing after another!! But that's how all old cars are :wacko: . It'll be nice when it's all done though. I can't wait. ;)

ALL meant in good humor, please!

Oh my, oh my. The younger generation is just getting too spoiled...

My '87 Pathfinder has probably been one of easiest cars I've dealt with... I think the only ones easier were the 240SX and our BMW.

If you want some real fun, play with VW Eurovans. Or anything from the 70's. Of course, anything from the 60's or earlier will be much simpler, but then things fail at least 10X as often.... So the repairs are simple but so frequent it eventually makes you nuts! I kept a '65 Ford Fairlane running for over 300K miles.... Don't EVEN ask how many sets of points I installed. Or how many front suspension repairs. Or brake jobs.

So if it makes it any better (and I know it won't), trust me, it could be a lot worse!