Nissan’s AllMode System

Trainman

A bit of a rant, don’t mind me. :X

As can be seen from my signature, I have a 02 Pathfinder with the AllMode transfer case. For those who do not know, this system gives 4 “modes”: 2WD, AUTO, 4WD high (locked) and 4WD low (locked). The AUTO mode is essentially AWD, as it shifts power back and forth as the computer deems best for traction. The nice thing about this system is it has the best of all 4WD systems, you can chose just 2WD and save some fuel and mechanical wear and tear; you can choose the AWD mode (very nice this time of year); and when the going gets tough, the system can be locked into 4WD high or low range.

Why o Why does Nissan only offer this system on the top of the line Pathfinder for 2005? :shrug: My Pathy was the bottom of the line model in 02 and it was available then.

And why not in the Xterra at all? :hide: Yes, it is available on the Xtrail, but that is not a suitable vehicle for my line of work (and the Xtrail version does not have the 4WD low range, only high). (Xtrail is a Nissan SUV not available in the US)

I think Nissan is missing a great market by not having this excellent system more widely available. :crazy: I know when it comes time to replace my Pathy, I will be looking for something with a similar system and right now it would not be a Nissan. :angry:

Edited by Trainman

would be nice wouldn't it? you're just not the target customer trainman. most pathys and xterras are for hauling kids to futbol and gettin' groceries. that's the short of it.

i was wondering however, what you mean by "locked" because i know it's not locked. thanks

i was wondering however, what you mean by "locked" because i know it's not locked. thanks

:o P... My error in using the word “locked” when talking about a transfer case.

It can be "locked" into 4WD high or low range, meaning that the power is distributed 50/50 front/rear regardless of traction. Works like a locked differential only at the transfer case. This is what happens in the Pathy’s standard transfer case when you move the lever to 4WD high or low (and most other true 4WD systems vs AWD). In the AUTO mode, the power is shifted front to rear as the computer senses a loss of traction (slipping) at one end. It then shifts power to the end with traction. Works like a LSD, only at the transfer case.

Regardless of the mode, what each axle does with the power it gets depends on the type of differential it has: open, LSD or locked. Maybe this is were I am confusing people. When I say “locked” in reference to the transfer case, I am not talking about the differentials on the axles, only the power coming out of the transfer case output shafts.

Rather long winded explanation with lots of redundancy but does it make sense?

I think it may have something to do that the Xterra is seen as a tough off road vehicle (even though the new ones are a pure joke). Proper 2WD, 4HI, 4LO transfer cases are much better when wheeling than ones with differentials and electronic gadgetry. Also you don't need a tough transfer case to conquer speedbumps at a local mall.

I totally agree with you Trainman!

I think it all comes down to money. Nissan should charge a tad more if you want that option on any of there models of SUV's.

I know my wifes R50 has that Auto mode and it's a great feature I do wish my X( joke to LUke ) had that.

Better than the exploding transfer case on Heep Liberty's!!!  :laugh:  :lol:

Not really. That Liberty in the famous video made contact on the t-case. My friend's '05 Fronty didn't come into any contact with anything and his front diff exploded this weekend. Just your ordinary stress fracture. This is what you get for putting SMALLER DIFF, and ALUMINUM instead of STEEL housing on a truck with more power and larger tires. WTF way to go Nissan. pssd

Wow.....that is pretty special!!! I wonder if you can fit a dif from an older pathy, or X in there, instead of that. The difs in ours seem pretty durable.

True again. I guess owners of the X and Frontier will have to hope for some aftermarket company to remedy the issue. Oh well, at least their aftermarket is better than the Pathfinder one!! P...

I think it may have something to do that the Xterra is seen as a tough off road vehicle (even though the new ones are a pure joke). Proper 2WD, 4HI, 4LO transfer cases are much better when wheeling than ones with differentials and electronic gadgetry. Also you don't need a tough transfer case to conquer speedbumps at a local mall.

05 X is way better then you think. i wheeled with one here not long ago and it was simply amasing.. and he never even used the rear locker.

Hmm don't the Nismo 05 Fronty's have larger locking diffs?

No. The new '05s have a D44 rear axle some of which have a electronic diff locker. The D44s are not as strong as the good old H233s that used to be in most of Nissans up to now. The front diffs got smaller and weaker as I posted above as well.

94 pathy's don't have that.

You know this went alittle off topic but I do think that it is more important kinda haha

When they started making them in the US I knew they would cheap on something didn't think they would go that far though.