Couple things about my Pathy

Bob

I have noticed that the rear end feel kinds spongy when going through dips on the highway. One side seems to drop further then the other. Could this be caused by the coil springs going bad or the shocks? If it is one or the other what would you recomend replacing them with? I dont do any/very little off-road trail driving, mostly highway.

Is there any mods that you would recomend me doing to it? I was thinking about putting in a cone filter to replace the stock airbox, and maybe a different muffler. The muffler on right now is starting to fall apart.

Last but not least...

Is there anything that i would know about 1g pahtfinders? Bad things mainly. Kinda like how chrysler auto trannys suck (going out around 120k). Like i said in my intoduction post, the pathfinder has 120k on the body and 25k on the replaced engine.

Thanks all.

Bob

Check your shocks, when I replaced mine when I would collapse it, it wouldn't extend anymore...so I got new shocks and have not had a problem with them.

Your muffler mught be killing oyu gas mileage, I would suggest you install a flowmaster since it will be more cheaper if you were to replace it fro the dealer.

Third..I can't help you on that..I have a 2g pathy

Hey Bob, about the spongy butt, I'd guess the shocks are probably shot (or one of them at least) but the springs may be tired also. Does the rear end sag, ie. seems lower than the front ?

Some people like the cone filter, some stay with the stock box for better water protection. A muffler would make it sound better and give you a slight gain. I have a Magnaflow. Ideally headers, free flow cat and muffler is desired, but we wont go there now... ;)

Here is a link to a brief 'issues' post...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28

If you have an auto tranny, you want to bypass the stock cooler (built into the radiator) and run an aftermarket.

Plenty of good reading in the Garage/Tech Section to get you started.

I have to ask ? Why was the motor replaced at 95K ?? Timing belt break ?

B

I have to ask ? Why was the motor replaced at 95K ?? Timing belt break ?

B

I have no idea why the engine way replace. I asked the guy and he kinda beat around the bush. The engine was replace with a engine that had about 20K on it. I might go over and ask him again why it was replaced.

The rear end does not look to sag much at all, it seems to be about the same as the front. I will replace the shocks for now because they are pretty cheap. What brand does everyone run, or what should I run?\

Thanks again

Bob

BTW you guys are much more helpful then the people on the nissanforums.

Hey Bob. Ive got pro comp 9000 shocks, it all depends on the type of ride you want, Rancho's are very popular and are good for off road, but both shocks I mentioned will be stiffer than factory shocks, let us know what you decide on

as above, get new shocks for starters, I run Rancho 5000 series shocks (p/n RS5116 under that was 28-14100).

I bought Thorley headers from Summit Racing for $338 and they were the best investment I ever made! They rumble and let the ol vg motor breathe. The VG30 motors are notorious for the manifold studs breaking, and unless you change to heders, the manifold will keep breaking them...

I suggest running 2.5" pipe all the way through, with a high flow cat and good muffler. I run a Flowmaster 50 series and it rumbles and sound really good. Not like a ricer or icky farty 6 banger.

If you want to improve the looks for little money.. go with the JGC coils in the rear and crank the torsion bars a bit and run 31" tires if you don't have them already. The lift can give up to as much as 3.5" inthe rear, and cost less than $150 including shocks and brand new coils.

I prefer (and also damn smog laws) my enclosed K & N filter, but some do run cones, which I think need a few mods and cost a bit more.

First and foremost... enjoy your Pathy!!! :aok:

Here's my pathy with the JGC coils and Ranchos sitting on 31's.. just for ideas.. and another one of the way I had my exhaust made too.

Hey Bob. I have Pro Comp ES3000 shocks. They are a little stiffer than stock. It feels perfect in front but a little stiff in the rear when unladen/no passengers. I believe the 'stock' replacements are the ES1000. I got a package deal (4 shocks and a steering stabilizer) for $120 shipped with all possible mounting hardware except for the SS from 4wheelparts.

If the rear is not sagging, then the rear springs aren't that bad. Put in shocks (might as well do all 4) and see how it feels.

BTW you guys are much more helpful then the people on the nissanforums.

Why thank you, glad we can help !! :D

B

Lets see what should you know about 1g pathys... They're a great deal! Seriously these motors will run forever (my 88 has 206k miles on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil). 17 MPG is about average, you can get a bit more if you clean the MAF sensor (see the how to section in the garage for more on that) change your Oxygen sensor change your plugs and make sure your air filter is clean, but don't expect to get much more than 20mpg freeway.

Also if you still have the stock shocks there should be a switch somewhere that says Sport/Touring or something like that. It adjusts the stiffness of your shocks, I mostly drive with it on sport now and there is a noticable difference (body roll is almost zero and it's definatly not spongy).

I got the XE. Im kind of a poor college student so im not going to spend much on the shocks. Im going to put some money into this thing once im done with school and get another pathfinder.

I do need to get new tires. I was just going to get 235/75-15's or should i get 31's? Im going to get some halfway good AT's. I dont know if i want to lift is 3 inches right now. I think it would look better if i was able to lift it a inch or inch and a half. I was reading with the headers that they need to be modified?

Has anyone tryed boring out the TB alittle bit? I know on my neon that when i went from 49mm stock to 52mm there was a pig difference even with stock exhaust. How do you crank up the front torsion bars?

Guest pathy91

Hey Bob, I have an XE also. I replaced the stock shocks with Gabriels. 20 buck each and it solved the bobbing problem. I would stick with 235/75/15 tires unless you want to take it off-road. The 31's will make the XE feel sluggish and throw off your speedometer a bit. Bridgestone Deuler A/T's are an awsome tire and retain manners on-road. You can find them on-line for $110.00 each. The torsion bars can be adjusted by tightening the adjustment bolt found on the crossmember between the frame rails. Tighten each on equally. Good Luck!

I wouldn't say running 31s would make his pathy too sluggish.

Part of it would depend on which transmission he has, not that it would be horribly noticeable either way.

It also depends on which gears he has. For instance, if he has 4.6 gears, I would probably recommend 31s just to keep the revs down on the freeway.

I switch back and forth between 31s and 235s a couple times a year on my HB (4banger no less) and hardly notice it. The one time I did notice a change in driveability on a Nissan, a buddy and I switched his pathy from 31s to 235s and then up to 32s. The differences between the 31s to 235s and 31s to 32s weren't that noticeable, but we could feel the difference between the 235s and 32s. Either way, good luck with your pathy and I hope you choose the size you'll be happiest with.

Shoving 31's on a Pathfinder originally equipped with 235/75R15 won't have much effect on anything. I noticed a slight loss in power so I got an AirHog filter from Wal-Mart the next day and it seemed as though I got all my acceleration back.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

I got the XE. Im kind of a poor college student so im not going to spend much on the shocks. Im going to put some money into this thing once im done with school and get another pathfinder.

I do need to get new tires. I was just going to get 235/75-15's or should i get 31's? Im going to get some halfway good AT's. I dont know if i want to lift is 3 inches right now. I think it would look better if i was able to lift it a inch or inch and a half. I was reading with the headers that they need to be modified?

Has anyone tryed boring out the TB alittle bit? I know on my neon that when i went from 49mm stock to 52mm there was a pig difference even with stock exhaust. How do you crank up the front torsion bars?

If you have to smog your vehicle I don't suggest the P & P.

total to lift my Pathy: $150 and 3 hours of my time

T-bars: easy but even easier with 2 of you (one to crank, 1 to let you know which way yer going and if it's level) ;)

I run 31's on my Pathy with just the JGC coils n t-bar lift. :aok: most came stock with 31's. I also have an XE

Edited by Slick

When it came time for changing my shocks, I was forced to get Monroe Sensa-tracs. These are a great on road shock, they are comfortable but do not allow as much body roll. They do not flex as well as I would like, but then again the are more for the road oriented trucks. I beleive they are also relativley inexpensive if I remember correctly. Good luck with your choice.

I changed my rear shocks today, Didnt helo anything. I put some cheaper monro shocks in. Next im going to replace the coil springs. Is there anything that will give me about a 1 inch lift?

1 inch lift?!? If your rear coils were bad enough that you noticed a spongy feel, they were probably sagging. Any replacement, stock length coil will probably give you an inch or so. I'd look for something variable rate, so if you load it up, the back won't sink as much.

On the other hand, you can get some JGC coils, from the scrapyard, crank the torsion bars to level it out. That'll give you anywhere between 2.5-3" of lift, and probably cost less than new coils. Just a thought.

If you go that route, though, you would DEFINITELY have to go with the 31" tires at least. 235's would look REALLY foolish with a 3" lift!