one of the greatest mods

deadkennedys

last month i put in a 100w pa speaker and i never thought it could be soooo much fun. i just wanted to see if there was anyone else from here that have put a pa speaker in. right now its uner my hood (makes it alot less loud) so sence i dont have money for a winch im going to put it in the winch spot of the arb. shure can have alot of fun his this thing(confuses the hell out of the drugy kids at school)

lmao... we have one in both trucks, mine's in the front grill, and on the X, it's in the roof basket.

WE have fun confusing people in parking lots & in traffic with it - although I will admit the hubby uses it a lot more than I do - I'm always afraid someone's gonna snap & come at the pathy with a baseball bat.

But it's nice to use on the trail when people are messing around outside the trucks and it's go time!

haha yeah, its on my list of things to do. my buddy had one on his dodge...we'd go through town yelling at people on it and such...funny as hell. im sure it has its TRUE usefulness, but we never found it..prolly never will! :lol::lol::lol:

I have one too. Alot fun!

It also comes in handy for Trail Maintenance days when we have groups of projects and trucks. Just leave it on PA and you can monitor the project progress and any emergencys on trail. For club use, same thing. If one group is recovering behind or in front of the main group, at least you can run to the truck and respond when they ask how things are going and if you need another winch truck etc.

But my hand held Ham radio recieves CB channels, so I mainly use that when out of the truck.

Remember that if you have the factory alarm and a CB you can just run a set of wires from a pair of headphones to the leads on the alarm horn. It's not gonna be loud enough to talk to other drivers on the highway, but for messin with the kids playing in the street or monitoring the CB while outside the truck it works great. Install an amp if you want to really be heard. You can also get "toys" for your CB at your local CB Shop that you can play on the air or on the PA speaker... Like the woman having,, um, well,, have you seen the Herbal Essence commercial... Lots of other cool stuff. You can even get a recorder for your CB at some shops. Those come in handy for directions, or when you can't quite hear what that guy said... You can also annoy people with it by replaying everything they say like you can mock their voice perfectly. That can be alot of fun.

not only do i want a pa but i want a train horn, a guy had that at my school last year, dang that thing was loud, i should hook that up to my alarm

I've heard of these. When I Google it, I get real train horns. Are these something like those Wolo trumpet air horns? They get 118 decibels I think. If these aren't the same, what decibel levels do the train horns get?

Okay, I'm not coming up with anything when I search Google. I don't really need a CB, but I really want a PA (it's always been on my list but way below everything else until this thread showed up). Can somebody point me in the right direction?

As an ex-trucker I say buy a Cobra 29... That's hands down the best radio you can buy for the $$$. It'll be the last radio you ever buy also. If you have the money go for a Cobra 148.

I don't recommend the Radio Shack, or the other crap radios. They will never work very good, and they won't last for long... People who own those and say they do work good have never talked on a good CB. The only thing good about them is the smaller size.

Is there no way to get just a PA and no CB?

YES, YES and more YES! It will cost you big bucks though. Stand alone PA systems are not cheap. I can understand your not wanting a horrid CB. FFS it might save your life one day while broken down or lost in the bush. Oops! There I go assuming you'd like to improve your 4wding capabilities (shame on me!). Given that a PA is the "best ever mod anyone can do", justiyfing the money you WILL spend to have it (without a CB) should not be a problem. :crazy: -thnkboutit-

I have one of those cobra 19's as a backup radio, or to let a friend use while road tripping or trail riding. I think it's a total piece of garbage. The only thing good about it is the small size. It's pushing about 2watts for about a 400yard range with a decent antenna. It's better than most handheld units, but that's about all it's better than. Most CB shops won't even mess with those. I brought the one I have in about a year ago to see if they could help it out a little. The guy offered me $5 to run over it.