Rear fold down seat on '95 Pathfinder

Freddymac

Hi all

Has anyone found a way to get the seat portion of the rear seats to fold down flush with the 'cargo deck'? I was thinking along the lines of a triple hinged joint to replace the single hinged joint that just allows the seat to fold ahead by 90 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated as I need the full length to allow me a good night's rest when I'm backroading. :asleep:

Thanks in advance

I'm confused by the original question... are we referring to the fact that the seat bottom flips up forward and the seat back folds flush (or close enough) forward once the headrest is removed or do you mean having the seat back fold backwards laying flat on the cargo area?

Perhaps you don't like the fact that the latching edge of the seat bottom sticks up and takes up a precious 10 inches or so from the top of the folded seat back to the back of the front seat.

Could it be that you are folding the seat back forward before foldsing the seat bottom up out of the way? If this is the case, there's a little strap tucked in between the seat bottom and the seat back that you can probably find buy digging around like you were looking for a quarter. It's in the middle of each seat. Pull it up and it releases the seat bottom and gives you access to another nifty little storage area for crap that you don't want flopping around in the back seat (like the tool set, a roll of duct tape, some bailing wire, rope, .45, emergency poncho, small gerbil, pictures of scooters, pez, cheddar goldfish, beer tabs, mice, spare hitch pin, gold bullion, gum, ping pong ball, or a dead goldfish).

more info please

• Like 1

...Perhaps you don't like the fact that the latching edge of the seat bottom sticks up and takes up a precious 10 inches or so from the top of the folded seat back to the back of the front seat....

Yup that's what I meant. I noticed that if the front seats are pulled all the way forward, there's room for the bottoms of the seats to go from 90 degrees to 180 (if the hinge was different). That way the seat and backrest would be (almost) completely flush.

As for all that nifty storage space, I was gonna leave my Pez collection tied to the roof ;)

Thanks for your input

Drill out the hinge pins and replace them with bolts and wing nuts. WIth the seats slid forward you get almost 7' of space. Makes a nice bed. The metal is very soft and easy to drill. If that is what you are talking about.

Drill out the hinge pins and replace them with bolts and wing nuts. WIth the seats slid forward you  get almost 7' of space. Makes a nice bed. The metal is very soft and easy to drill. If that is what you are talking about.

Thanks Repack

I was thinking along the line of a series of hinges to get the seat bottom over, but that, I think, would compromise the unit to lock in place properly in the normal seating position.

In keeping with the KISS principle, I like your idea much better. That way if we need more room for the 'super bed' we can remove the seat bottoms (we have a 50 lb English Springer who likes to sleep with us).

Cheers

Thanks Repack

I was thinking along the line of a series of hinges to get the seat bottom over, but that, I think, would compromise the unit to lock in place properly in the normal seating position.

In keeping with the KISS principle, I like your idea much better. That way if we need more room for the 'super bed' we can remove the seat bottoms (we have a 50 lb English Springer who likes to sleep with us).

Cheers

I sleep like a baby in my truck. I have a Thermarest that I wrap in a padded moving blanket to keep from getting punctured by the D-rings. A few pillows, a flanel lined sleeping bag... Not a bad place to pass out after an evening of festivities. Its like the worlds greatest dome tent. :beer::aok:

A little OT, but my friends Explorer is large enough in back to fit a full-sized mattress and the seats of the Xtera and JGC lift right out.

Drill out the hinge pins and replace them with bolts and wing nuts. WIth the seats slid forward you get almost 7' of space. Makes a nice bed. The metal is very soft and easy to drill. If that is what you are talking about.

I've heard of similar, but using a long pin and a sort of cotter pin like thing, sorry don't know the real name. But yeah, you can then just flip it up and remove it all together to stick on the front seat or wherever. Either way, maybe a trip to the hardware store would be in order for some brainstorming.