Dual Exhaust

wheelmanLS1

I've already gotten a hold of a Magnaflow muffler. 1 in/2 out 2.5" piping on both sides. I've taken it to get it installed and have been told several times that a dual exhaust on a Pathfinder is impossible. Well I'm a white Southerner and am not going to give up that easy.

My version of a dual exhaust is pulling out the catalytic converter and putting the Magnaflow in it's spot. I've already measured everything out and it fits fine right in there above the crossmember. Then shoot both pipes out to the left in front of the rear tire. I wanted to know what everybody thought about this idea or if anybody wanted to give me some other ideas, that would be cool too. Does anybody else have dual exhaust?

I dont have dual..but that would be sick if you could pull it off..so scrap the cat all together? I vote go for it and ya run it out the sides infron the of the tires...i might do that but just for the one side..but if its possible with 2 :D

but I like the idea but havent seen anyone say it was possible ...prove em wrong!

I have a magnaflow, but just 1 pipe all the way. Very little is impossible if you throw the cash at it. Why do you want dual exhaust other than for looks and maybe sound ? There wont be any real performance gain over running 1 pipe... The choke point will still be at the Y before the muffler. Even if you had headers and ran duals all the way back, I doubt it would perform better than 1 pipe with headers. Just more stuff to tear off on trails. Remember, this is a 3 liter motor. About 185 cubic inch... It doesn't need that much plumbing !! Hell, a Dodge Dart with a slant 6 is 230CI...

Just put in a high flow cat and the magnaflow with 2.25-2.5" pipe and thats all she needs. The rest is just spending money for nothing.

My version of a dual exhaust is pulling out the catalytic converter and putting the Magnaflow...

The cat it there for a reason. Leave it in or replace it with a high flow design, don't just remove it ! Thats pretty irresponsible, and could come back to bite you in the ass.

B

He's right, it may simply be against exhaust codes to run a dual under the tank in a spot it was never meant to be. Shoot, that and the fact that it's illegal for any mechanic or exhaust shop to remove or render inoperable any catalytic converter device in any vehicle originally equipped with one...

That said, I've seen several Pathfinders with duals, including Lee from L&P Performance, who built his own.

And with that said, I believe that if you remove the cat yourself and take it in (drive it in with no cat, wear earplugs), they can't say much about it and you can build it the way you want, provided they have the skill to do it and you have the money to afford the time spent to do it your way.

Good enough?

Precise 1: I am almost certain that dual exhaust isn't going to sound any better than a single exhaust. I want dual for looks and for bragging rights. Also, I plan on bolting in a flamethrower and it's so much cooler to see flames coming from two pipes than one.

On the flamethrower note, I can control the length of the flame easier if there is no catalytic converter. In North Carolina, any vehicle over 10 years old doesn't have to do an emissions test, so I'm good to go there (it's still illegal, but how will they find out without performing an emissions test? That and I know a real crooked mechanic at an inspection station that will pass it for $20 should he notice the catalytic converter missing.)

88: What you're saying is take off the catalytic converter and everything behind it including the stock muffler, then drive it to the exhaust shop and hope they assume the role of 'don't ask'? Sounds like a plan to me.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

Hey wheelman, I think that running a dual exhaust is cool. I don't have the cat converter on my pathy, and running a flowmaster on it. While it doesn't make it sound a lot louder, it kind of gives it a throatier sound when accelerating, when it's on idle you can even hear the exhaust. We don't have any emission test to do here in Arizona. I plan on running a dual exhaust my self and I'm thinking of how and where to run my pipes thru. I have my single exhaust running straight next to my hitch.

Is it just me or do the States need to Upgrade the EMISSIONS CONTROL a bit better. One state its ok for anything 10 years or Older? Arizona don't even botter? Geez, I guess it's gonna take a few more Radical and Extremely Violent Natural Disasters to hit everyone hard enough to make them think about how Vehicle exhaust contributes a GREAT deal to weather and Global Warming. Here in Canada I thought our Emission laws were slack, all but B.C's anyway, they are more like California's. Although I'm a Huge fan of the throaty exhaust and tough Red Neck no muffler Rumble, I think having a Cat Converter is At the VERY LEAST a responsible way about going at it. I say Go with a Flow, then dual off if you want, even if you lose a few inches of Flame from your Pipe.

Dowser.

Agreed Dowser. Problem is that so many Americans are far more concerned with image, bragging rights and their desires than with things like social responsibility and environmental protection much less cause and effect. It's not entirely their fault though; The Shrub has been denying global warming and it causes, cutting regulation standards (mainly for industry) and trying to allow the same access to previously protected areas. Wait, it is their fault, they voted for him... No wonder a country with 5% of the world population is the biggest polluter.

There is a reason that high flow cats exist. Anyone that doesn't have one on their car is a$$ in my book. If you want flames coming out of the pipe, well, not like I can stop you, but don't get pissed when I wire an M80 to your pipe. Now THAT would be funny !!

B

Yeah, I almost went into economic hardship scenario... Ok, how about you are a$$ in my book if you remove it without valid reason (and do not replace it when possible) or pay $ for a system (expecially an exotic one) that purposely excludes it. Fair enough ?

That said, you going to put one in when you are caught up with things ???

"No"

"A$$"

:D:beer:

B

I'm usually a supporter of the live and let live and conformity sucks group... but this is an area that DOES affect everone else.

Hence, one more vote that "intentional" gross polluters deserve being called names. If you really need to compensate for some gross personal inadequacies, just bolt on some useless bling or something...

If you want to blow flames, just get an additional (SMALL!) fuel injector out of a junkyard and bolt in it the tail pipe right before the igniter and tailpipe tip. Use the same switch to activate both. That way you can leave the cat in there - AND it will be far more spectacular!

If you insist on taking the cat out, do us all a favor and route the exhaust tip into the cab so your lungs can filter it before ours...

Hey, you just called me an ass! Jerk! :P

I can't afford a new cat, they're like $100 and I'm two months behind on my rent as it is. Plus, mine was plugged and broken already. :P

same reason why i removed mine, I can't afford a new one.

If you want to blow flames, just get an additional (SMALL!) fuel injector out of a junkyard and bolt in it the tail pipe right before the igniter and tailpipe tip. Use the same switch to activate both. That way you can leave the cat in there - AND it will be far more spectacular!

Damn, leave it to the enginerds !! I never would have thought of that, and I can imagine the results !!! :clap:

I do understand SS, I'm certainly not rich !! My point is that it doesn't cost THAT much, and even if you have to go without for a while due to $, are you going to have one installed when you have the $ ? Thats the pivot point between understandable and... :shrug:

B

well, not like I can stop you, but don't get pissed when I wire an M80 to your pipe. Now THAT would be funny !!

B

you'd probably get fricken killed if somebody found out you did something like that to their car or truck, lol. :P

Damn, leave it to the enginerds !! I never would have thought of that, and I can imagine the results !!! :clap:

I do understand SS, I'm certainly not rich !! My point is that it doesn't cost THAT much, and even if you have to go without for a while due to $, are you going to have one installed when you have the $ ? Thats the pivot point between understandable and... :shrug:

B

I probably won't replace mine. It's a moot point in a part of a state where emissions laws don't apply. My '83 Chevy van used to be a diesel, but now it has a gas 350. Doesn't matter. It's exempt from emissions laws in Oregon because it was originally a diesel engined vehicle. My 1976 Laguna is more than 20 years old, therefore exempt from emissions laws in Oregon. In 2008, the Pathy will officially be a 20 year old antique and therefore exempt from emissions law. About the same time, I acquire a nice 383 stroker.......and then the shxt will fly. :D

Anyway. I keep the Pathy's engine tuned up, run it with semi-synthetic oil, and I don't floor it everywhere I go. I make conscious efforts to go easy on the gas. My exhaust doesn't blow black smoke, and the ECU has no stored error codes. It's still got good compression. I believe it runs much cleaner than most of the 70's Chevy 350's did. ;)

Point being, I'm not driving around for no good reason all the time without a cat installed. Last year I barely broke 10,000 miles of driving on the Pathy. I'm being a good boy, dammit! *sort of*

Point being, I'm not driving around for no good reason all the time...

Now you are sounding like a lawyer, or worse, a politician. "... no good reason" / "all the time" leave it to an offroader to give himself more than one way out. -bounce- sly

I am also running my pathy with no cat. When i got my exhaust done, I took a look at how clogged it was and thought get rid of it. That and it was too expensive to get it done at the time. I figure I will put a new one in when I get my exhaust overhauled again. But It sounds way cool without one, and I have to be the first to admit that the exhaust does stink!

Stink?----> whew, my 1988 Honda CRX with a VTEC mtoor and no cat beats me up at stop lights...I think though that my FPR is dying and thus not leaning when it should...but no doubt that sh** stinks! My car did pass MD emissions without the cat but i do happen to have a crazy expensive high flow cat in case i get harassed.

ps i do like the "pop-pop poppop" that she makes when i down shift!! :secret: