I hear all these bad things about AC....

BigBikeMike

I've read some horror stories on here about AC's service, customer service, etc. Are there any other companies that make a suspention package to lift an R50? If not, can I make my own package?

I'm still planning on Lifting my R50 and getting some bigger tires, but its been put off indefinantly due to money issues. I'm just trying to collect information :)

Sorry if it seems like I'm hijacking your post-

In the near future I will be thinking about going with the AC lift and am glad to see that some people like AC, as I didn't have a problem with the horn I ordered from them.

When you go for the AC lift, do you need to replace shocks/struts at the same time? What shocks/struts are recommended with the AC lift? Mine are worn and original. I have read about the KYB GR-2 struts and Rancho 9000x's. The Rancho's are in the rear, and the KYBs in the front???

Also I will be buying hubs and 265/75 tires at the same time.

What is the difference between a shock and a strut? What does each do? Are there rear struts?

What about the 3" and 6" lifts that are supposed to be coming out? I tried to search but couldn't find anything. Debating whether it would be worth it.

Thanks for any replies!

Edited by OR99.5Speed

pinned topic at the top of this section

I have read the pinned topic at the top of this section. Nowhere does it say anything about a 3" or 6" lift. What I have gotten from these forums is to get the Warn hubs too. Fine. And that, obviously, a 265/75 tire will fit.

So after examining TireRack, the KYB GR2 strut is fine for the front, and the Rancho 9000x shock for the back? And new Nissan strut towers? I think mine are squeaking over bumps. So this is the most desireable set up for light wheeling with the AC kit?

I may be a newb to R50s but not to VW MKIV GTI, Jeep ZJ, Toyota 4Runner, Xterra, any BMW, etc; none of which I have encountered struts to replace. My bad... :angry:

Edited by OR99.5Speed

So after examining TireRack, the KYB GR2 strut is fine for the front, and the Rancho 9000x shock for the back?  And new Nissan strut towers? I think mine are squeaking over bumps.  So this is the most desireable set up for light wheeling with the AC kit?

I may be a newb to R50s but not to VW MKIV GTI, Jeep ZJ, Toyota 4Runner, Xterra, any BMW, etc; none of which I have encountered struts to replace.  My bad...  :angry:

The KYB gr-2's are the only choice for struts up front. Edit: No they're not. :P

But for the rear you can use either stock length shocks or longer shocks which is recommended. The 9000x's just give you the abillity to adjust 1-9 how stiff you want it to be...

Otherwise you can go with the 5000's or the Bilsteins in the rear...or even the KYB Gas a justs....

Edited by DJ Dank

The KYB gr-2's are the only choice for struts up front.

But for the rear you can use either stock length shocks or longer shocks which is recommended. The 9000x's just give you the abillity to adjust 1-9 how stiff you want it to be...

Otherwise you can go with the 5000's or the Bilsteins in the rear...or even the KYB Gas a justs....

Perfect, thank you very much! The Rancho 5000s may be sufficient, but I think I'll spring (no pun intended) for the 9000s if I do Rancho.

Coming from a 1998 Toyota 4Runner, the Bilstein 5000 was the shock of choice, so I'll check that one out as well. Thanks! B)

Edited by OR99.5Speed

OR99.5 - There are 6" lifts in Japan, which no one stateside has tried AFAIK....

I believe L&P Performance were looking into getting into 3" & 6" lifts... but I havent heard anything about any of that getting off the ground yet.

Looks like youre stuck with a 2". :)

The KYB gr-2's are the only choice for struts up front.

So if the KYB GR2 is the only strut up front, then will this work:

AC Rancho Struts

Just curious, maybe it will work? Is AC wrong? Thanks.

Pezzy: Thanks for the info on the lift, I don't mind the 2", just don't want to get buyers remorse. I would love to find the pics of the 6" lift on that Japanese R50!

DJ...hate to say it, but you are mistaken.

There are several choices for struts, as well as shocks.

If you've had VWs and BMWs in the past, especially a Mk4 GTI, you should know damn well what a strut is, as it has struts at all four corners.

As far as options go, there is a company that is working on a 3" and a 6" lift kit for the R50s in the US, however, it is still in the prototype phase, and they have recently lost their test/prototyping vehicle, so progress at this point is halted. However, if and when they get a new test vehicle, it should be completed rather quickly.

The Japanese lifts cost well over $3,000 + import fees and shipping...they aren't really an option.

I run the AC lift on my truck, and have about 60,000 miles on it. I have not seen any problems with it, other than some premature CV boot wear from the increased driveline angles. I solved this very easily by installing the Warn hubs.

As far as my experiences go with AC, the only problem I've ever had with them was when I ordered something, and it was backordered from the manufacturer. They don't update their website to reflect this information, and I ordered it not knowing. Then after a couple of weeks went by and I hadn't heard from them, I called to find out what was going on, and they told me that the parts I ordered were backordered from the manufacturer and they gave me an exact date that they would have them. I got it 3 days later. Their customer service may seem spotty at times, but you also have to remember that it is basically a 2-person show. They are intensely busy at all times, and sometimes don't have time to call or write an email to every customer telling them that their order is backordered. Patience is a virtue. But other than that one experience, I have never had a problem with their service, and have worked closely with Jane on sponsorships for events for both of my clubs.

So if the KYB GR2 is the only strut up front, then will this work:

AC Rancho Struts

Just curious, maybe it will work? Is AC wrong? Thanks.

Pezzy: Thanks for the info on the lift, I don't mind the 2", just don't want to get buyers remorse. I would love to find the pics of the 6" lift on that Japanese R50!

Any of those Struts will work as long as its listed for your year Pathy. Also replace the strut bearings which i believe you called the strut towers....And also take a look at the K-MAC Camber adjusting kit it works wonders....

K-MAC

If you need some help with the install check my site Install Help

DJ...hate to say it, but you are mistaken.

No you're right. When I came back to this thread and reread what I wrote I was like WTF? I totally forgot about those Ranchos struts...But I think what I was trying to say was that between lifted or not, the struts are same as opposed to the rears where you can go longer or not(which you just won't have as much travel).

No you're right. When I came back to this thread and reread what I wrote I was like WTF? I totally forgot about those Ranchos struts...But I think what I was trying to say was that between lifted or not, the struts are same as opposed to the rears where you can go longer or not(which you just won't have as much travel).

Well, there's also your basic ones. Nissan OE, Monroe (who actually makes Rancho), and a few other off-branded ones.