check engine light

lovebunny

ok so the other day i did alotta driving because i was the shuttle bitch when we went riding. so my check engine light came on for no apparent reason. i dont know why its on but it is. so what could cause the light to come on for no reason? cna i ust pop out the ffuse for a while and see if it comes back on when i start it again?

Not too long ago I had the same problem with my 97. Turned out to be the evap system. They replaced the whole shebang (probably didn't need it). While mine was being worked on, another 97 with the same problem came in. My 97 had about 75,000 on it at the time. I now have a code reader I bought off of ebay for 40 bucks and a list of trouble codes from alldatadiy.com Good luck!

Yeah those evap codes. I had mine pulled over a month ago...p0440 and p1448...common ones that pop up every once in a while when the weather is hot...but after a month, the SES light finally turned off.

Malfunction indicator light (MIL) If the Malfunction indicator light comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a potential emission control problem. The malfunction indicator light may also come on steady or blink if the fuel filler cap has not been closed tightly or if the fuel tank is nearly empty. Check to make sure the fuel cap is secure and that you have at least 3 US gallons (14liters) of fuel in the fuel tank. After driving for a while, the light should remain off if no other potential emission control system problem exists.

Operation

The Malfunction indicator light will come on in one of two ways:

I. Malfunction indicator light on steady—An emission control system malfunction has been detected. Have the vehicle inspected by an authorized NISSAN dealer. You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the dealer.

II. Malfunction indicator light blinking— An engine misfire has been detected which may damage the emission control system. To reduce or avoid emission control system damage:

*do not drive at speeds above 45 MPH (72km/h).

*avoid hard acceleration or deceleration.

*avoid steep uphill grades.

*if possible, reduce the amount of cargo being hauled or towed.

The malfunction indicator light may stop blinking and come on steady. Have the vehicle inspected by an authorized NISSAN dealer. You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the dealer.

as to reading codes: someone just mentioned the other day that there is some kind of a switch near the gas pedal which will make the SES light blink the codes... may be worth investigating.. it was probably in this forum too...

SES: the reason they say emission is because most of what the ecu controls is related to emissions.

as to reading codes: someone just mentioned the other day that there is some kind of a switch near the gas pedal which will make the SES light blink the codes... may be worth investigating.. it was probably in this forum too...

SES: the reason they say emission is because most of what the ecu controls is related to emissions.

Yeah, if you go search through the AC forum, you can find the threads about finding the ECU and the screw on top of it that you use to flash the error codes.

mine just came on too (again) it does every time i go over the pass i swear! and once it goes off it stays off til i start goin over the pass again! its just straight dumb!

you should still check for codes.. the ecu will remember them.. since i am guessing the pass meaning high mountain crossing it could be MAF or O2

Which O2 sensor is it? If it's a front O2 sensor, your truck may be running rich, which may not only waste fuel, but it could potentially damage the catalytic converters. To pass CA emissions, I just had to have the cats replaced on my truck because they had totally melted, restricting the exhaust flow.

Mine has been on for... well I dont know, since Freshman year of college and this is my junior year. Crankshaft Position Sensor.. whatever. Autozone or Advance Auto Parts will pull the code for free.

and regardless, that avatar is still creepy

• 2 weeks later...