Changing Battery Terminals

DJ Dank

Its that time where I'm going to need to change the Battery terminals on the Pathy. That are all rusty and corroded with that nasty white/green powder...

Its to the point where start up will not happen and I'll have to tap the terminals. Anyways, how far down does the negative cable connect to the engine? I tried to trace it past under the battery tray but there were some clips holding it down and I didn't have much time since I was on the way to class.

I know the positive cable attaches to the starter.

Am I going to have to crawl under and tackle it from below? Never did this on the Pathy before...

Why not just change the actual terminals and not all the wiring? You can get bolt on, lead terminals that won't rust or corrode and it'll only take you about 10 minutes to change both. If you haven't had any other wiring issues, I wouldn't worry about it. Change the terminal portions of the cables, and call it a day.

Its that time where I'm going to need to change the Battery terminals on the Pathy. That are all rusty and corroded with that nasty white/green powder...

Its to the point where start up will not happen and I'll have to tap the terminals. Anyways, how far down does the negative cable connect to the engine? I tried to trace it past under the battery tray but there were some clips holding it down and I didn't have much time since I was on the way to class.

I know the positive cable attaches to the starter.

Am I going to have to crawl under and tackle it from below? Never did this on the Pathy before...

I clicked the link in your sig... :o I feel used. :D

I agree with Simon, although depending on how many small wire leads/fusable links are on the positive, it may not be feasible.

Also, you can recondtion them by making a mixture of baking soda and water, pouring it on, letting it sit for a bit, rinse it off, repeat until it stops foaming. Then remove the terminal clamps and go over the contact surfaces with sand paper or a stiff wire brush until there is mostly bare metal showing.

I have done this with several cars; there generally isn't any reason to change them unless they are so corroded that they are structurally weakened. Yes, I have broken old ones tightening them...

Regardless of what you do, slather the terminals and clamps with di-electric grease to prevent it from happening again. You can get a little packet for $1.

B

Yeah I had this spray that I would spray after I put a wire brush to the terminals...but it only works for so long.

I guess the negative terminal can only be replaced but the way it is right now, there is no slack whatsoever on the cable...I don't know what happened there with the previous owner...

For now I'm going to leave it...just wondering if the reoccuring "fuzz" that I have to clean off every couple of weeks is just a sympton of something else?

if u pour a coke over it i'll do the same thing...but be a lot more stickier but thats usually just a quickstop fix what Precise said should be the way to do it correctly....i have an 87 and my clamps actually broke 2 times due to the corrosion one time and the other was the positive runs down to the starter and rubbed thru against the frame and melted a battery...so i hacksawed off the aux. hookups (leaving the hole and flange for the bolt to tighten it all up...then bought a new post clamp ran the bolt thru both tightened it up and it worked great till the corrosion ate thru the new clamp about 3 years later...so i recently redid it but the new post also had an auxillary tab so i could hook up the amp and lights off of the main post and not worry about getting the bolt thru amp lead, light lead, positive cable, aux hookups tab, and post clamp

I went to Autozone and got the gold plated clamps that have 2 large inputs and 2 small inputs and ran new ground (and added a couple) and just connected the old positive to the new clamp....I am very happy with the versitility i gaind for the whoa expensive gold plated terminals.

I awnt to say that these were like $20 or $22 each...small price to pay since i have had one set for over three years now and they are in great shape!!! Just a nice rub and they are back to a sweet shine!

By the way in case anyone is as dense as me you cannot egt 2 +'s or 2 -"s since they won't fit the batter the same way...the Minus side of your bettery is smaller!!