Icelandic Flares

RedPath88

EDIT: This is a follow-up to talks in Flares for you P1

Ok Siggi sent me some new and better pictures of the flares that he has on his Terrano.

He did a little more looking into it after I asked about the year of Toyota that the flares came off of. As many of you knew I questioned that because of the shape of the flares when compared to the shape of an '88 Yota's fenders.

It turns out that the truck they came off of was not an '88, it was actually an '80 (which makes more sense to me). For reference, that body style falls on 79-83 Toyota's here in the states. if not the rest of the world.

*Just a reminder, he swapped the flares front to back/back to front to make them fit his truck.

HERE is a picture of the truck that he got the flares from. (Front one)

Here are the pics he sent me...

dsc00239small5wo.jpgdsc00240small1ay.jpgdsc00241small5ca.jpgdsc00242small7gf.jpgdsc00243small7qd.jpgdsc00244small8qn.jpgdsc00245small3zv.jpgdsc00246small6gd.jpg

As you can tell those are made of fiberglass. As far as I know Bushwacker flares are made of plastic, so they are not the same. Also Siggi is pretty sure that the flares he has are Icelandic made.

Many thanks go out to Siggi for his willingness and work to help me figure this out :aok: he really is a great guy :beer:

PS: In an attempt to keep this semi-friendly to the dialup members, I have only posted small versions of the pictures. If you want/need the larger full sized pictures (1632x1224) PM me with an e-mail address and I will send them to you.

Combined they are 1.98MB. While it’s nothing for broadband, it is however a lot for dialup, when posted in a forum thread.

Edited by RedPath88

i seen really weird ones on a pathy the other day... it looked like it had the diamond pattern alluminum running boards like alot of trucks from that era (90-95) had, but they where painted green, and appeared to be one peice WITH the fender flares. Looked pretty snazzy actually.

i wish you could see the last pic a little bigger and without glare... but still it looks pretty sweet... you just have to have wide enough tires to match, otherwise it looks kinda goofy.

I can do bigger (which provides more detail), but the glare would still be there. PM me if you want it.

hey red, thanks for following that up.. he never responded to me.. hmm? anyway.. i have never seen yotas like that here but pickups and no flares.. the second might be a pu though.. still no flares like that..

No problem... not sure why he never responded. :shrug:

Your right about the trucks, it’s a one piece body. In 82 and 83 (and iirc 81 as well) there were some modified by smaller shops (prior too and after the new sale). But they were not one piece. More like a canopy modified to extend over the back of the cab, then the rear of the cab was cut out. After that the bed and cab were joined to become one and interior along with seats were installed.... basically like the '84-89 4Runners.

----

EDIT: After closer inspection of some pictures of the truck, it looks like the top "might" be removable.

----

Some of them where Toyota's research for the 4Runner and others were simply locals shop conversions, independent of Toyota's efforts.

Here is an '83 Toyota Trailblazer

black_truck.jpg

You can get 4in cut out fender flares for them, but as I mentioned earlier, they don't appear to be the same as the ones he has. However, they are probably close and are likely "workable".

Personally I think I would use them as a plug, to make a mold. From there you could make a set (or multiple sets) of fiberglass flares. Anyone with fiberglass fabrication tooling skills (reluctantly raises hand) could modify the mold to make them a perfect, or near perfect fit. This of course, if any flares to be found around here did not fit good enough.

Edited by RedPath88

Great info and follow up Red !! :clap: I like that Yota trailblazer, it looks pretty well set up and capable. I don't have big enough tires to make use of flares that size and I think I like the idea of the rubber ones V6 has over fiberglass as they would be much more resilient and less likely to break or get torn off. Still, it's another great option for the people with ginormous tires... :D

B

Siggi dropped by and read this topic, which in turn brought some other things to mind.

Things that he thought might be useful to anyone looking to install larger flares for the intent of making room for bigger tires.

---------------

HERE is another picture of his truck displaying the flares... without the glare from the sun.

---------------

HERE are some flares he saw once on another Pathfinder.

But that's a Double Cab, so he talked to the guy about them and discovered that the fronts fit with without any trouble, but the rears he had to modify with pieces from a larger PART

Although I agree with him in that those are nice looking flares and the company seems to be willing to ship worldwide, he said that the asking price was over $1000 (USD).

He did not get them and I would bet that it's probably not a option for most of us either.

A couple pictures of another Terrano/Pathfinder with a different design of flares on it.

38in'ers on that one :D

Pic 1 Pic 2

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
HERE are some flares he saw once on another Pathfinder.He

He passed on a couple more pictures of that truck. These give a better idea of how they look than the prior one does. :aok:

Picture 1 Picture 2

I think these look great! And since this truck is not running huge tires, I believe that it makes the install of fender flares like these more feasible to the rest of us.

• 4 months later...

I'm also wondering. When I put my 33x12.5's on I obviously had to start hacking the Body up to make them fit without rubbing. But I noticed that in the front fender, the part closest to the Firewall, you can only cut out a small bit before you hit Stuctural Body. Looking at how much room I have with only the 33's in it, Im assuming you need to Cut into the Structural body Part to get those Big Ass 35-38's to fit properly and have a little flex still. Can anyone clarify that for me? If your unsure of what part I am refering too, 88 did a write up on Fender Trimming and theres a photo in there that shows the part I am talking about. I'd love to get a set of those fenders and outfit some more bigger tires. Those last photos looked so clean. No Side Screw look like the other fenders.

I'm a little mixed up on what the Fenders from the Last photo's posted are from.

HERE are some flares he saw once on another Pathfinder.

But that's a Double Cab, so he talked to the guy about them and discovered that the fronts fit with without any trouble, but the rears he had to modify with pieces from a larger PART

He passed on a couple more pictures of that truck. These give a better idea of how they look than the prior one does. thumbsup.gif

Picture 1 Picture 2

I think these look great! And since this truck is not running huge tires, I believe that it makes the install of fender flares like these more feasible to the rest of us.

Have we discovered the year, Make and Model of the vehicle these flares come off of? Is this from a 80-83 Toyota Helix Double Cab?

Dowser

No problem... not sure why he never responded. :shrug:

Your right about the trucks, it’s a one piece body. In 82 and 83 (and iirc 81 as well) there were some modified by smaller shops (prior too and after the new sale). But they were not one piece. More like a canopy modified to extend over the back of the cab, then the rear of the cab was cut out. After that the bed and cab were joined to become one and interior along with seats were installed.... basically like the '84-89 4Runners.

----

EDIT: After closer inspection of some pictures of the truck, it looks like the top "might" be removable.

----

Some of them where Toyota's research for the 4Runner and others were simply locals shop conversions, independent of Toyota's efforts.

Here is an '83 Toyota Trailblazer

black_truck.jpg

Yes the tops were removable, they had a back seat also, they made the TrailBlazer and Trekker, both were made by Winnebago IIRC.

• 4 years later...

It's a Conversion HiLux and one of several predecessors to the Surf (4Runner in north america) I am not positive if they were called Surf's then but I do not believe so.. the last year of that body style was '83

Now again, I could be wrong, but I think that conversion was specific to Iceland. Done by a local company, like the Trekkers and Trailblazers here were.