Transmission slipped out of gear.

Earth1

Yesterday climbing up a steep interstate mountain pass (7% grade for a few miles) my tranny slipped out of 3rd gear 3 times. It really freaked me out the first time. I was humming along at about 4500 RPM like I always do in this section, and never had a problem until yesterday. There was a little extra weight in the truck- 4 guys and backpacks camping/climbing gear. This can't be a good thing. Could my tranny be dying?

I think he means gear box. Other wise he would have said 3rd gear is slipping. At least thats what I think he meant? :huh:

If it is a gear box that 3rd. gear is 'jumping out' of then you may just need a new pressure plate. If it is a tranny then you may be low on transmission fluid, needs a service or it is over heating as 88 said.

The more I look at this post the more I think he actually means his transmission is slipping. He just got the termonoligy out of whack.

Lets not forget that there is an 'automatic transmission' and a 'manual gear box'. One slips and one jumps. There aren't any manual transmitions in Australia anyway. sssh

transmission: N, 2. the part of the automobile, truck, etc that transmits motive force from the engine to the wheels... (no, not drive shaft or differential)

The term 'gear box': N, 1. the unit consisting of the transmission gears in a transmission system 2. a case enclosing gears to protect them from dirt, etc.

Transmission is global for both auto and manual in the US, and probably MOST of the world. I believe they are both enclosed, have gears and transmit motive force...

I understand you have a language barrier, comming on the raw prawn and all mate, or something like that... :D

Could it be that the gear box between your ears is slipping out of third ?? :P

:hide:

Earth1...

Auto or manual?

Thats the first step, but regardless, it isn't normal and probably not good.

B

transmission: N, 2. the part of the automobile, truck, etc that transmits motive force from the engine to the wheels... (no, not drive shaft or differential)

The term 'gear box': N, 1. the unit consisting of the transmission gears in a transmission system 2. a case enclosing gears to protect them from dirt, etc.

Transmission is global for both auto and manual in the US, and probably MOST of the world. I believe they are both enclosed, have gears and transmit motive force...

I understand you have a language barrier, comming on the raw prawn and all mate, or something like that... :D

Could it be that the gear box between your ears is slipping out of third ?? :P

:hide:

Earth1...

Auto or manual?

Thats the first step, but regardless, it isn't normal and probably not good.

B

My memory slips so it must be auto. :clap::lol:

B, a diff is a transmission too. So was he actually talking about the 3rd. member? An engine too is a transmission. :takebow:

We don't call manuals transmissions here, though technically they are. It makes it less confusing if you are able to tell the difference between manual and auto from the get go. -study-

Doh!

It's a manual, and it "jumped" out of third gear back into neutral position.

A gear box for those on the other hemisphere. ;)

After the 3rd time, I took it easy and kept the RPM lower for the rest of the climb and it didn't happen again.

So the pressure plate is a possibility?

Edited by Earth1

I don't think the pressure plate has anything to do with it. Sounds like a bad bearing or worn third gear. The gears are not making full contact (because of worn bearing or gear itself) and when you put a lot of pressure on them they "pop out". I've had this happen with an old GMC pick-up but in first gear. I just babied it along for the 3 years I had it and it didn't seem to get any worse. The only fix was a tranny rebuild but the truck wasn't worth it.

Brian

Doh!

It's a manual, and it "jumped" out of third gear back into neutral position.

A gear box for those on the other hemisphere. ;)

After the 3rd time, I took it easy and kept the RPM lower for the rest of the climb and it didn't happen again.

So the pressure plate is a possibility?

Yes, the pressure plate is a very strong candidate. Thats what I would be looking at first. :aok: I have only ever seen a few cars do this. I learnt a lesson after the first one, mine. On the other two, when we took the box out we changed everything both times. New thrust bearing, clutch and pressure plate. You may as well do the same, it's not the best job on a Pathy and you would hate to do it again in 6 months time when the clutch goes. The thrust bearing has a good chance of becoming noisey if you reuse it too (lesson learnt). It is highly unlikey to be a worn bearing or gear. It would be very noisey in both cases. Is it noisey?

Seek profesional advice too.

I don't think the pressure plate has anything to do with it. Sounds like a bad bearing or worn third gear. The gears are not making full contact (because of worn bearing or gear itself) and when you put a lot of pressure on them they "pop out". I've had this happen with an old GMC pick-up but in first gear. I just babied it along for the 3 years I had it and it didn't seem to get any worse. The only fix was a tranny rebuild but the truck wasn't worth it.

Brian

Like br2an, I had this problem with older Ford trucks. Not a clutch problem, just a worn out trannie/gear box. The more power you put on it, the more likely it is to pop out. Just keep you hand on the shifter to keep it in gear -bounce- . When I worked in a logging camp, I had to ride shot gun (gear gun?) on a logging truck to hold one of the transmissions in gear for the driver (2 trannies plus the split rear end) so he could have both hands on the wheel. Did this for a few days until a rebuilt trannie was shipped in on the boat.

I do have some unidentifiable squeaking/squealing sound at a range of 0-25 MPH. Could be a bearing. What bearing? Maybe that's not related. Sound reminds me of a wheel bearing I guess, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

My clutch was just rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago. This really blows considering I just had everything accessible for the clutch repair. Is it a posssibility that the mechanic effed something up? Anything I should look for as far as neglegence on his part, or do I just have bad luck?

My clutch was just rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago.

Is it a posssibility that the mechanic effed something up? Anything I should look for as far as neglegence on his part, or do I just have bad luck?

Just had the clutch done? GO BACK as fast as you can and get him to explain it. Yes, he may have messed things up.

I do have some unidentifiable squeaking/squealing sound at a range of 0-25 MPH. Could be a bearing. What bearing? Maybe that's not related. Sound reminds me of a wheel bearing I guess, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

My clutch was just rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago. This really blows considering I just had everything accessible for the clutch repair. Is it a posssibility that the mechanic effed something up? Anything I should look for as far as neglegence on his part, or do I just have bad luck?

When you say the clutch was rebuilt; do you mean everything was replaced with new components, or was it just the clutch? If it was just the clutch then you know the pressure plate will be stuffed.

As far as the neglegence question goes. As above, what did you pay for to get done?

If a gear box bearing or gear is worn you'll know about it. It WILL be noisey. The noise will occure when you select your gear (3rd. in your case) and stop when you are not in it.

Either way, it sounds like a trip to the mechanic is warrented.

too lazy to read so sorry if its been posted above...but possibly a bent shift fork....or maybe u were just at the "sync speed" i donno what its technically called but u can shift without a clutch from one gear to another (But can tear up synch gears in the tranny) and maybe the slope was steep enough that gravity just pulled it down to neutral

I have another suspect that could cause this problem. It could also be the springs detents or (inside the box unfortunately).

Anyway let us all know the outcome.

Good luck with it.

That would be my bet.

The pressure plate, clutch and thrust bearing should technically have no bearing on what is going on inside the box.

If you have a squeeling sound coming from the box, the yes, you have somebearings in there that are ready to self destruct and pop out the side of the case.

Seen it happen to my mates one about 2mths ago.

You may want to listen carefully to the box, it will be noisey in all gears except 4th, and possibly 5th.

If you have been driving it like this for a while, then you more than lickly have got used to the noise ;)

Either way, what evers wrong, the trannys got to come out for a rebuild or swap, and while its out it would be false economy not to do the clutch and pressure plate.

It ain't going to fix its self, and you can't fix it in the vehicle!!!

Cheers,

Pete.

Thanks for all the ideas. I guess if it's going to go, I'll just let it go. I'll have to keep it close to town until the tranny sh*ts itself. :( If I'd known this was going to happen a few months ago I would have had the tranny rebuilt with the clutch, probably would have saved some dough. Yes, it was completely rebuilt. So much for new headers. Damnitalltohell.

Any suggestions for upgrades from stock tranny parts? Hardened gears, etc?

• 4 weeks later...

New development.

Now I'm getting a constant chatter sound. Happens more when accelerating from a stop.

I'm thinking about trying to find a junkyard transmission and rebuilding it so I'm not without my truck while I learn. I have no idea what I'm doing but I think I can figure it out.

What should I expect to pay for a used tranny?

Ok some quick info that I know since this almost exact scenario happened to me about 4 months ago.

One. Your tranny is gonna bolw. Get used to the idea. Mine did this exact same thing. It started out as just 3rd, then 2nd started doin it, and later 4th. 5th was the only one that would stay in. Just use your hand to keep it in place. The gears are helix gears, meaning the teeth are at an angle to allow for better meshing and quieter opperation. There is play in your tranny somewhere that is allowing them to come unmeshed due to the axial forces generated by this helical configuration.

Two. Forget the rebuild. I asked around, and there is no "rebuild kit" offered by Nissan for our trannies. I blew my input shaft bearing, which in turn hosed the main gear as well as buggered up the counter gear. Don't think of buying just these gears for a couple reasons, first off being that you have to buy them as a pair and just those together with the assosiated bushings, spacers, clips, etc, is over $1300, and second, Nissan switched vendors so many times over a short number of years, there is no guarantee that the new one would even mesh with my old ones.

Three. GO BUY A FSM IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON CONTINUING ON YOUR OWN. Period, exclamation point.

Four. Start lookin for a used tranny. You can go with the peace of mind with a rebuild, but look to spend around $1200 for it, plus shipping if there's not one in your area. Got the bucks? Check ebay. I used www.car-part.com To find one near me. I paid $700 for one in Portland OR with verified 64K on it. By Verified, I mean it was checked out and was acceptable for the 64K which was on the vehicle. it cost me another $90 to get it shipped to me in the bay area, but I get a huge discount through my work on bulk shipping, so expect to pay a little bit more. This is where the FSM comes in handy. It shows pictures and specific instructions on how to take the tranny down. Take it apart yourself once you get it and check the innards. The lower the miles the better, but also expect to pay more for less, if you catch my drift. Depends on where you shop. Every one I found in Cali had 130K+ on it and they all wanted around a grand. Crazy buggers, you have got to be kidding me.

Five. Wait for tranny to blow, remove, replace, wheel.

This is about what you can expect to expect. A shop will rape you, no lube, so doin it yourself will be you best bet. It's about 4 hours to remove the old one, call it another 3 to dismantle and put back together the new one, and another 6 to install. Intallation takes longer due to gettin that damn thing to line up right on the back of your engine. Also, if you have any worries about takin the new one apart and puttin it back together, take your old one out and take it apart first. It comes right apart, with light tapping (no pounding) as long as you follow what the FSM says. And make sure you are following the right directions for the tranny. there are 2 different trannies in there, and it's the 2nd of the two listed.

Good luck, God Bless, you're gonna need it.

Oh, and if you have any other questions, gimme a holler, but I think I covered just about everything.

Edited by MaritimeMan

Thanks man. That's encouraging... I guess. :blink: I was just getting ready to start looking for a used one. I'll have to talk my buddy into taking his garage hostage for a while.

One of the worst things about this is that I was going to get my truck painted in exchange for doing a mural in a guy's shop in a couple of weeks. It's about a 100 mile commute one way so no way will I chance it until the new tranny. I don't have time to get to it for a while, so no new paint.