Removing AC

unccpathfinder

i've got an 87 vg30 which i recharged the ac about 3 years ago and it lasted for 2 months due to the leaks thru out the system and i personally dont mind not having AC and would like to remove it bc i dont plan on selling my truck but with this i had a couple of questions

1. would i need to leave place a belt tensioner pully where the compressor used to be so that the crank has all the appropriate forces still applied (cuze i was thinking that removing the belt and brackets and compressor would put the forces from the alternator and pwr steering out of balance and give me more vibration and possibly some form of engine damage...

2. would i have to get a new harmonic balancer to deal with issues in ? 1

3. is this a dumb idea...i just want to lighten my truck up just a little bit and maybe pick up the 1 or 2 hp by removing the ac

yeah, i'd be more inclined to leave it in there, functional or not since to me it seems like a PITA to get it out and have everything still work. ;) but there might be a slick way to do it, i dunno...

I took my AC belt off a while ago, with no adverse, or positive effects. I simply took it off because my AC doesn't work anyhow, and I was trying to see which belt was squeaking. I'd leave it on there, just because there's no real benefit to taking it off, as far as I can tell.

If your hoses are spent but the compressor still works, why not look into using it for on-board air? You could air-up after runs, use air tools, fill floaties at the beach, blow leaves out of your driveway...

If your hoses are spent but the compressor still works, why not look into using it for on-board air? You could air-up after runs, use air tools, fill floaties at the beach, blow leaves out of your driveway...

Well, I plan to fix the AC eventually. Need a new condensor. Just waiting until after my wedding, when I have some more $$$. Then I'll put the belt back on.

my compressor is done as well as most of hte other components due to my dad backing into my truck after an argument between him and my mom about 4 years ago and he knocked the living piss outta my truck resulting in the cond and evap being messed up along with bumper brill headlights and corner lights...

thanks for the input guys i'll prob just leave it there now

I took my AC belt off a while ago, with no adverse, or positive effects. I simply took it off because my AC doesn't work anyhow, and I was trying to see which belt was squeaking. I'd leave it on there, just because there's no real benefit to taking it off, as far as I can tell.

yeah that's it..

haha well on a diff forum some1 suggested using the compressor as an air compressor which might be possible and usable esp around the coast if u have to let the air down...

i'd much rather put it to use then have it sitting in there doing nothing...

Yes, I totally agree, but since you said

my compressor is done
I figured why deal with the cost of replacement. If you like the idea of a compressor, then be patient until you can find a deal on one and the other stuff you need. My belief for the time being is the less pullys the better...

i've got an 87 vg30 which i recharged the ac about 3 years ago and it lasted for 2 months due to the leaks thru out the system and i personally dont mind not having AC and would like to remove it bc i dont plan on selling my truck but with this i had a couple of questions

1. would i need to leave place a belt tensioner pully where the compressor used to be so that the crank has all the appropriate forces still applied (cuze i was thinking that removing the belt and brackets and compressor would put the forces from the alternator and pwr steering out of balance and give me more vibration and possibly some form of engine damage...

2. would i have to get a new harmonic balancer to deal with issues in ? 1

3. is this a dumb idea...i just want to lighten my truck up just a little bit and maybe pick up the 1 or 2 hp by removing the ac

1. No.

2. No.

3. No, but it won't make a noticeable difference.

Mine's got the tensioner pulley and belt removed. No ill effects. The rubber belt doesn't have so much tension on it as to do anything to the crank or balancer. The engine will be fine. Removing the compressor, lines and condenser will definitely lighten up your Pathy, but not by as much as you might think. Maybe 50-60 lbs or so. From the vehicles I've owned and removed AC from I've found no difference in power, but it can't hurt.

yeah 1 or 2 hp is not worth it at all something may happen during the process like a cut wire you may not know about and lose hp, mileage, etc. an jj that is a cool idea i like the air tool idea

<:umm maybe i can hook another one:>

Our compressors may not be the best to use for on-board air systems, though. If you were considering building a system you might want to replace it with a York or Sanden or something else that is self lubricating. There's a lot of info on the web about doing the conversion.

There's also this. If you decide to go this route, use GM compressors. Fords fry quick.

thanks for the input fella's...since the SC deal didnt work out for SR design i might take into consideration building my own air compressor system...as long as i could make it have many uses (ie tire fill ups, rafts etc etc as well as coming up with a possible air bag system to place under the truck to lift it up if i were to get stuck...)

hmm adding to list of possible design proposals....