Flooding passenger floor when AC is on

pmercado

Hi everyone,

I have a 95 Pathy and every time I use the AC my passenger side floor gets flooded. I've traced the drips coming from the square "black box" underneath the glove box. I noticed that I have condensation around the whole box and the spongy gasket on the right front-side of the black box is soaking wet. Can anyone tell me what this black box houses and if I need to replace this whole unit.

Also there is a rubber hose connection between this black box and cylinder to the right. Anyone know what this cylider is? I noticed I had lots of water in this connection tube.

Then of all days, my fan stopped working today. For the past couple of months the fan only worked in the high position, but today no fan at all. Anyone think this is a switch problem or more likely a dead fan?

thanks,

pm

The black box is the evaporator. The condensation is normal, but should drain to the outside through a tube in the bottom. It's probably just clogged. Try clearing it from the outside with a piece of flexible wire.

Thanks guys !!! I blew out the hose from the inside using an air compressor. After reattaching the hose, a quart of water drained out.

Now for problem with the fan; I took the console apart and exposed the environmental assembly. I took the fan switch apart from the bottom of the assembly and springs popped out with the mechanical copper contacts to my surprise. I don't think the switch is the problem since it is a mechanical switch, not electrical. I will polish the copper connections though and put it back together tomorrow. I have a feeling it is the fan motor. Any ideas where I should look for this fan?

After mine flooded the first time it had sloshed over into the fan and the fan was making horrible noises. I removed the fan, disassembled it, cleaned it , lubed the friction areas and put it back in no troubles.

As for the switch, it's not mechanical if it has electrical contacts.

How so, Greg? If it physically turns to a new position to touch a new contact surface, it should be regarded as mechanical, right?

That has long been the way I have seen it too... ???

How so, Greg? If it physically turns to a new position to touch a new contact surface, it should be regarded as mechanical, right?

Well since part of it is making and physically switching electrical contact....

I'm thinking mechanical as in like mine which have a cable and lever. :shrug:

k9sar, thanks for the tip to clean out the evaporator box. I was not successful in fully removing the bottom half of the evaporator tray, since there seems to be a clip or screw which I could not get to in the rear. I was however able to crack it open enough after removing the blower fan resistor assembly. Sure enough I had a bunch of small dried leaves in there which would have clogged the hose again. I guess it gets through the outside vent and gets chopped up by the blower fan wheel.

Now as for my fan only operating at high speed, I read a posting on ebay (by a guy trying to sell his blower fan resistor) that says the resistor is my problem. When I took the resistor out it was all rusted, so this is plausible. I ordered a new resistor from for $12, but shipping was $8. It was worth the shipping cost to not go hunting around at various autopart stores. Wish I knew this before I took the blower motor out and accidently broke several of the blades on blower wheel. When I installed the motor back and tested it out, as I suspected the missing blades would cause an unbalanced rotation at high speeds and cause lots of noise. :( This blower wheel does not seem to be a readily available product, so I requested a part search at UsedPartsLiveAutoRock

On another note, I have collected lots of auto parts links for my pathy. Do you think it is a good idea to start a thread for just web links?

When I installed the motor back and tested it out, as I suspected the missing blades would cause an unbalanced rotation at high speeds and cause lots of noise. :(  This blower wheel does not seem to be a readily available product, ...

While you are waiting to find the part, it should be possible to rebalance the blower by removing fins opposite the broken ones. It won't be as effecient and may be a bit louder, due to turbulence, but you should get some cold air without wearing out the bearings in your motor.

I was able to epoxy the several of the blades, so I am now only missing 2. I'll test it out and clip the opposite blades as you suggest if needed.

Here is web link thread I started in the garage section: here

Let me know what you guys think.