Punching Out The Cat?

statikuz

alrighty i tried searching for it but the fact it can be described in about a billion different ways didn't help. =) so here i am. anyways, i'm debating on new exhaust, and i'm not sure if i should get a new high flow cat or not... the extra cost isn't really an object, but a buddy of mine says that i should just punch out the existing cat and then do the new muffler bit, saying that it'll give me more power than a new cat because all the converter does is block the flow. i don't have to smog where my vehicle is registered so that's not a big deal, but other than that, what's the benefits / disadvantages of either approach? thanks :D

It's best to replace the cat with a glasspack or straight pipe rather than leave it empty. An empty cat can still have old packing material inside that may come loose later and clog up your muffler.

Also, an empty cat makes for poor throughput, the exhaust tends to do funny things when it blasts through piping and then hits a larger open space like the inside of an empty cat. It doesn't necessarily hurt performance, but it doesn't help any either.

alrighty, so should i just do that or replace the cat entirely with a new one... what's the benefit of doing that instead of just straight piping it?

You help save what's left of our already dying enviroment :aok:

If cost doesn't really matter (and they dont cost that much...) I'd say put on the high flow cat and a nice cat back system. Reason being if you ever needed to sell the vehicle, or move somewhere that requires smog then that part is covered. I don't think it would effect the performance very much with a high flow cat...

B

(there is also the environmental factor Slick mentioned...)

alrighty well then on that note... a local shop quoted me $455 for a magnaflow cat and muffler and new 2.5" pipes... that seems a little over the top to me considering i could get the muffler and cat myself for <$150, will most places install stuff you buy yourself? if so, does it matter what parts i get? like does the inlet and outlet have to be in a certain place or will the shop figure it out from the stuff i get? i don't really want to tell them "you're ripping me off for the parts so i'll get them somewhere else" =D

Hey Stat, I have a Magnaflow cat back system that the PO had installed for $235 1 year ago in Ca, so I think $455 is a bit steep... You might want to shop around more. Also, I have heard arguements that a 2.25" pipe is big enough, but I dont have much input on that. Some shops wont warranty parts that you buy and bring in to have installed. You should be able to get a $100 less bid if you shop around; it comes down to the time=$ ratio.

B

I had my Flowmaster 50 series, and cat back (done custom to my specs) system, 2.5" pipe done (price included muffler) done for $200. Then, last week, I had a high flow cat installed and the extra piece of 2.5" pipe installed...$90 out the door! (they supplied the cat).... and these guys did a wicked awesome job (Nor Cal Muffler & Truck, Manteca)...... and I luuuuuuuuuuv the way my Pathy sounds!

Edited by Slick

You guy's have to remember that he's in BFE, Nv., the same place I lived for 12 years. Prices are higher in that area for a couple of reasons:

1 ~ Isolated. 300 miles to Reno, 400 to Vegas, 240 or so to SLC...

2 ~ Area has the highest per-capita income in the state, hence, higher cost-of-living...

3 ~ Limited choices due to lack of competition. Entire county has a population of approx. 35,000...

Something you might consider trying...

Order the parts if they can be found at lower prices (which I am sure they can be) and maybe someone at an exaust shop might consider doing a side job for you.

If you can it will save you some cash and put some $$ in his/her pocket.

yeah the bummer thing is that i don't really KNOW anyone that works at an exhaust shop so they won't really give me an in. =) i guess the best i could try is to order the parts that i think would work, and then if the shop people tell me no, i ought to be able to return them to summit racing or wherever... i might try that. any muffler would work i imagine, and i just need a generic universal cat right, doesn't need any o2 sensor connections or anything?

and thanks for backin me up hardware man =D

You could try the parts stores websites, or your local parts stores.

A few sites...

Parts America

NAPA

AutoZone

They might have something for you. Make sure that if they do have what you need for less, that it is still less when shipping is added to the total.

You can (or should be able to) go with a direct fit or universal cat. Direct fits units will cost more but are easier to install.

A parts store should be able to tell you what size inlet/outlets you need. Also before ordering make sure that your system has not already been changed prior to your ownership of the truck. In other words, verify the size of the pipes in and out of your cat and muffler.. don't want to order the part listed for a Path, only to find that they are the wrong ones at the time of install.

Oh something else comes to mind.. have you called other shops? What about shops out of your immediate area... if you will be out of town any time soon, it may be worth it to have it done elsewhere ("if" pricing is better).

Good Luck!

nah the prices are pretty much the same all around, since they're doing all new piping, i know what size inlets and outlets i need. summit racing also pretty much beats the price of anywhere local, and since they have flat $9 shipping its a better deal anyway. i guess i'll try ordering my own stuff and seeing if they deal with it. thanks.

I ordered 2.5" core Dynomax muffler and cat from Summit for under $150. Local guy had no problem installing it all for me and bent up 2.5" pipe to complete it. But some shops won't 'cuz they're greedy.

So use this as a great filter for selecting the shop to do the install. If they won't do it, consider yourself warned that they're greedy buggers and thank them for telling you so!

And thank you for running the cat. :clap:

Although a lot of clueless folks say they hinder performance, a good cat will NOT hurt performance. Some of the really poorly designed ones put out in the 70's and 80's were restrictive, but competition has corrected that. No cat WILL hurt the environment and you. Without a cat, the tailpipe emissions are far more stinky and hazardous to your health.