oil change

Well I just did my second oil change in the 97 pathy. The first one was a disaster. The first time I got oil all over the place when I took off the filter. I only let the oil drain out of the pan for about 10 minutes when I moved on to the filter. As soon as I unscrewed the filter oil came gushing out and went everywhere. So this time I decided I would drain the pan for a long time and then tackle the filter. I drained the pan for almost an hour. There was still a slight drip but nothing like the first time. Then I moved on to the filter and sure enough when I unscrewed it oil went all over the place. Is there a better way to do this? Also now I got oil all over the rack and pinnion and everything else around there. I wiped off as much as I could but is this OK? This is the biggest PITA oil change ever. Especially because of that dam splash gaurd. Does it really need SO many bolts holding it on? This is more of a rant than anything else but if anyone has any info for me it would be appreciated.

On a side note the first time I poured 4 whole quarts in and it was way over filled. So this time I decided I would only pour in 3 and a quarter quarts. Which is a quarter quart less than recommended. When I go to check the oil it is still showing too much oil. Whats with that? And I hate that dam dipstick! I wish there was a flat style instead of the weighted line style that it has.

Edited by rokris8079

The oil filter has an anti-drainback valve inside that retains oil so when you start the engine it doesn't start dry. You can't get away without it. It's just a part of maintenance...oil dribbles are clean-up items. Use some Castrol purple degreaser after your new filter is on and wash the oil off afterwards with a generous hosing.

Oh, and believe me, there are worse setups on some cars for both access to the filter and it's overall mess-making. On some Buick/GM cars with the FWD 3.1 or 3.8 V6, the filter's above a CV axle, under a heat shield and right beside the exhaust...

Yup, getting oil all over that area is something you have to deal with. A trick I learned from Xplorx4 when I first bought my pathy almost 3 years ago, is to take a plastic bag or two and use almost as a "glove" so t hat when you do get it off, the oil and filter go into the bag and not all over.

Takes a couple of tries to master it. :P Thanks Dean! ;)

• Like 1

Be sure to clean up any spilled oil around the bushings holding the steering rack to the crossmember. Oil breaks down the rubber, and eventually the bushing will disintegrate, which will allow the rack to become loose.

Aside from the ziplock plastic bag trick, cover all of the parts below the filter with 3 or 4 shop rags. (I use the red shop rags that you can get at Costco for pretty cheap. ) They will help catch any oil that doesn't make it into the bag.

The only disadvantage about bagging the filter is that as the oil drips out, it lubricates the surface between the filter and the bag, making it very slippery and difficult to unscrew.

Your oil filter is mounted inverted so regardless of how long you drain the oil or if it has an anti-drainback valve it will be full, it can't drain up. I've used plastic bags but you can also cut a 2-liter to fit under it directing the oil to a drainpan.

I have always used 5 quarts when changing my oil. Is that a bad thing? About the filter position, it is hard to reach and loosen from under the truck. I can't find a way to stop the oil from getting all over the place, but just preparing yourself with a big oil pan that will catch both oil from the filter and the drain at the same time. :)

Here's a trick I use for oil filters. Take an old screwdriver and grind the tip to a point. After you drain the pan, just use a hammer with the sharpened screwdriver and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter. That way you can easily catch the thin stream of oil that comes out and the filter will be empty when you take it off.

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I will be sure to try a few next change.

have always used 5 quarts when changing my oil

I do believe the pathy calls for 3.5 quarts of oil. I could be wrong though. You should check your manual. I wouldn't go a 1.5 quarts over what was recommended. I did 4 quarts the first time and noticed that the truck was a bit louder.

Refill the original one-quart containers with the used oil. It's probably much harder to accurately measure your used oil quantity with a 5-quart jug. Why does it matter how much used oil you empty out anyway? If only 3 quarts comes out, don't just put 3 back in. Follow the oil capacity guidelines provided by Nissan: 3-7/8 quarts with a filter change on the VG33E.

Try looking into filter relocation kits for your rig. I couldn’t find one for mine, but I found one for a CRV that uses the same filter, the only problem is I don’t know if the threads that are in the Pathfinder blocks will match that of the kit for the CRV.

Refill the original one-quart containers with the used oil. It's probably much harder to accurately measure your used oil quantity with a 5-quart jug. Why does it matter how much used oil you empty out anyway? If only 3 quarts comes out, don't just put 3 back in. Follow the oil capacity guidelines provided by Nissan: 3-7/8 quarts with a filter change on the VG33E.

Hahahaha, No, no, no. What I meant was.... If I buy the 5 quart jug instead four 1 quart jugs too save money... How will I know when to stop pouring? I really don't care how much comes out of the truck, just the amount that goes in.