Lsd

jumper

I have done the jack it up and spin the wheels. if i spin the left wheel clockwise the right wheel moves in the opposite direction if i spin the left wheel counter clockwise the right wheel does not move.

is this a non lsd diff ????

Edited by jumper

Or, check yer diff to see if there is a bright orange/red sticker on it that says LSD fluid only.. or look to see if there ever was a sticker on it..... :blink:

Sounds like you have the open diff tho...

Or, check yer diff to see if there is a bright orange/red sticker on it that says LSD fluid only.. or look to see if there ever was a sticker on it..... :blink:

Sounds like you have the open diff tho...

mine was so caked with crap that i didn't see it the first few times i looked for it...

hmm, I looked for that sticker on my 95 SE, it has all the other sport features but i couldn't find that sticker for the life of me. I took it offroad a week or two ago and it did really well in just two wheel drive, which leads me to think its a LSD, but i still dont know for sure. I wish there was another way to tell besides the sticker.

Derogate, there is another way actually what Jumper was posting about. Jack up your truck so the back wheels are off the ground, make sure it's in nuetral and your parking brake is disengaged, then spin one tire. If the other tire spins the same way BINGO you'v got a LSD, if the other tire spins the opposite direction or not at all you'v got an open diff. 88 posted this test in a similar thread a while back. (thanks 88! WAVEY )

~ Another simpler way to tell is put your rear tires in something slippery (ie gravel sand mud etc) then floor it. If there are two ruts behind your truck LSD, only one open.

Edited by SC88Pathy

Ditto to Repack... I know I have LSD that works correctly. If your truck likes to spin out with little effort in the rain, you have LSD :P Open diff, you will hear 1 tire spin, LSD you will pivot... :o

B

I found out the scary hard way that while spinning tires in the rain is fun it is also very dangerous. I was crossing a road and used rear spin to whip the end in line with the side road, I have done this many times and so wasn't too worried about it. However this time I put on the gas harder and longer than I had done before and so the rear continued to slide and slide and I was getting very close to a tree on the side of the road, so I corrected and then the rear started sliding and sliding now into the other lane! AAAAHHH OH CRAP OH CRAP! :eek: So I correct again with foot completely off the gas and finally the rear stops spinning and catches, with another minor little fishtail.

The lesson to be learned here is don't be like SC88 and be carefull with your LSDs boys and girls! :takebow:

Another simpler way to tell is put your rear tires in something slippery (ie gravel sand mud etc) then floor it. If there are two ruts behind your truck LSD, only one open.

That idea sounds the most fun! Even though I know I have LSD.. think I might just "check" to be sure..hehe ;)

Nope.

If you spin in gravel, both wheels will still spin if they are getting even traction, or one will still spin even if its got and LSD if the traction is un even enough.

Its to much of an unreliable test.

Judging buy you description in the first post you do have an LSD, just a worn out one.

If you had an open diff, you could spin either wheel in either direction, and the wheel on the oposite side of the vehicle will spin the opposite direction. Always. The two wheels will always move in opposite directions no matter what. You have manual hubs, jack the front end up, lock the hubs in and spin the front diff if you don't believe me!!!! The front is an open diff.

The fact that the right wheel does not move indicates its and LSD, as an open diff nothing of this sort would occur.

Pete.

Just a thought.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't an LSD still cause the wheels to counter-rotate if the truck is on a lift? If it didn't counter-rotate, your dif wouldn't function going around sorners. Its not an "always on" thing.

I always though that an LSD was based on some sort of clutch mechanism that engaged when one wheel trys to break free.

Edited by Repack

I'm not sure exactly how this LSD works but if it's like most other LSD what actually happens is the LSD disengages when going around turns, so spinning one tire while in the air the LSD works as there is no force to stop it from doing so. Turning forces the clutches to disengage, which causes a clicking sound in some LSDs. I'm not sure if this is how Nissan's LSD works though. :unsure:

No, in a situation where one wheel has lost traction and the other has traction, where with an open diff the wheel with out traction would spin and the other would stand still, an LSD supplys a limited (read very small) amount of torque to the wheel with traction. Not enough to be of any significant benefit off road. May be on an icy road though, which is what they are designed for.

The LS unit provides friction to the side gears in the carrier via a set of clutchs and springs in the form of a pack in side the carrier.

The clutch pack allows for cornering, It does not effect cornering, as the torque settings of the clutch pack are so low.

An LSD does not lock up.

If that were the case, diff locks would be redundant

An LSD does not magically supply traction to a wheel when it has broken traction, they do not make clicking noises.

You are thinking of an Automatic diff lock.

If that were the case, diff locks would be redundant.

Read here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential8.htm

That should clear this up once and for all.

Edited by Diesel Boy

Thanks for clearing that up diesel!

Hmm, I guess I was thinking of an auto locking diff. :confused:

Oh BTW diesel could you resize your avatar, it's really tough on those of us with dial up ;)